AZ Barbeque.com

Taylor Corn and Que

Discussion started on

AzQer

Pat it seems a lot of comps are now charging for people to get in, it seems to me that with all the folks coming to the corn festival and hopefully the corn and Q festival they wouldn't have to much problem paying a little to get in, it is also a good time to maybe get some of the other clubs out there to promote there clubs what ever they may be and do a little fund raising. Just my 2 cents bud good luck.
#46 - April 01, 2010, 07:01:33 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Mrs. McFrankenboo

As for People's Choice, it has never been done at Taylor.  We did Taylor for 2 years before it stopped but VENDED at both, sandwiches, drinks and such not samples, and there were only a few BBQ vendors.  I would be up for doing the samples because I think the people would like that better.  I hope that this event can happen!
#47 - April 01, 2010, 08:01:25 am

Mr Smoker

One year we sold samples and donated the proceeds to Pat Tillman Foundation, it may have been the first year.
#48 - April 01, 2010, 11:10:59 am
Charbroil RED, #7 Custom Red Kamado,AZBarbeque Hall of Fame.

Gourmet Grills

One year we sold samples and donated the proceeds to Pat Tillman Foundation, it may have been the first year.
And then it rained
#49 - April 01, 2010, 11:28:58 am

Tek465

'Councilor Jay Whipple asked how much the town gets back from the Fourth of July Night Rodeo, Trapper Days and the Sweet Corn Festival. Lundberg said last year the $44,000 spent brought in an additional $28,000. The Sweet Corn Festival still loses money.
     Vice Mayor Jordy Fuentes suggest they create a special fund for all celebrations in the hope they will pay for themselves.
     "Basically everything taken by the three events will all be shared with that pool of money," Jared Hatch said. "Hopefully in the end, they will all pay for themselves." '

State budget numbers leave Taylor at a loss, WMICentral (3/26/2010)

I don't see how they are losing money with the festival. It's always been crowded and full of vendors.

Are they not getting sales taxes from local restaurants and hotels? Or are they letting those visitors take money back to Heber and Show Low? What is the chamber doing to keep visitors there?

They can try to charge admission, but I think attendance will go down. I know BBQ comps are fun for the competitor, but as a spectator event there's really not much to see. It's not like watching the Firefighter events or as flashy as the car show. The Peoples Choice would help alot and so might some BBQ demonstration classes.

They really need to look for sponsorship for the event if they don't want the responsibility.
#50 - April 01, 2010, 05:28:07 pm

barbedQ

The driving reason for the Taylor event was three fold.  1) the President of the now defunct AZBBQA had family ties there 2) The city didn't charge us to use the space or for permists and 3) the city mostly let us do what we wanted.   This made placement of the event somewhat easier.   However as Pat is finding out it isn't a walk in the park.  From April to the event the AZBBQA president was in Taylor pounding the pavement at least every other weekend.

The event also had a very low entry fee, $195, that included water and electric.  Keeping the entry fee low was a priority so city/family connections were used to get electric service, grey water etc.  Sometimes those things didn't come together until the weekend before the event.  In most cases it was discounted or donated.    The BBQ portion of the event operated as a loss every year and we used a portion of AZBBQA club fees to offset the expense.  We did not get that from the city.

EuroFresh Farms was the primary sponsor, not the city.   
We didn't have samples after the first year because the city asked us not too.   The city had a deal with their local vendors that precluded them from competing with the teams for customers.   

#51 - April 02, 2010, 04:34:59 pm
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

desertdog

Good insight, Marty.  Thanks
#52 - April 02, 2010, 06:33:04 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

PAT YOUNG

THANKS, to everyone so far for the education/ background info. I did cater a wedding for the daughter of one of the euro fresh owners a while back so i'll be hitting him up soon!
#53 - April 02, 2010, 08:33:57 pm

BBQCZAR

Pat,anything new on this yet ?
#54 - April 14, 2010, 08:15:04 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

BBQCZAR

I see where the Corn festival has been scheduled and it mentions BBQ,but I don't think that means the BBQ competition,maybe just some BBQ vendors.Sure would be great to have that comp back there again,the area and weather is great up there.
#55 - April 23, 2010, 08:23:58 am
www.thebbqbullies.com

BBQCZAR

Spoke to a person up in Taylor today,looks like this event won't be happening,at least not this year  :(
#56 - April 28, 2010, 08:33:47 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com

PAT YOUNG

WHO did you talk to today?
#57 - April 28, 2010, 10:07:27 pm

BBQCZAR

Pat,I spoke to one of my good customers who has a home up there and has been in on the planning and workings of the corn festival for the past 2 years and he said that the corn festival is on,but several people had spoken to him and said there wouldn't be any BBQ contest.He said he spoke to several people, and some on the council ,that he thought the contest would be good and that they should pursue it,but he said he didn't find alot of positive interest from them.
#58 - May 04, 2010, 08:46:27 am
www.thebbqbullies.com

BBQCZAR

Pat,have you heard anything different than what I have heard about this event ?
#59 - May 07, 2010, 09:08:21 am
www.thebbqbullies.com

BBQCZAR

I wonder why Pat doesn't respond to this anymore,I even sent him a PM and have not heard back.I was just wondering if he was still working on this or not,or if he has heard anything different from what I have been told.
#60 - May 16, 2010, 09:26:27 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com

Members: