AZ Barbeque.com

Opinions on new knives wanted.........

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

Looking for a nice quality set of knives to dedicate to bbq, not just using the home set. Any opinions out there.....not to break the  house $$. My set now is Henkels....love the ergonomics.  Any opinions out there?
#1 - March 28, 2010, 10:43:17 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

DesertRat

I have some Mundial and Friedrich Dick's from Mad Cow Cutlery. If you give Daniel Clay a call or e-mail, he'll talk you through anything you want to know, and not pressure you. Tell them budget, what you need, ask questions, etc.

www.madcowcutlery.com

#2 - March 28, 2010, 11:30:47 am
Veteran blogger, rookie smoker. Outdoor writer, transplanted Canuck. Work for the U of A, in Phoenix

www.skinnymoose.com/dryrubbedrat

KidCurry

I picked up some of these (plastic handle type) to play with just for the heck of it...they are not going to last forever but are extremely sharp.

I know these are not what you mean but a few ok throw away knives are never a bad idea.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/01/discovery-kiwi-knives.html
#3 - March 28, 2010, 11:46:40 am
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:48:13 am by KidCurry »
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

DesertRat

Coincidentally, I just posted an article sent to me today from Mad Cow Cutlery, on German Steel

http://skinnymoose.com/dryrubbedrat/some-thoughts-on-german-steel/
#4 - March 28, 2010, 12:07:40 pm
Veteran blogger, rookie smoker. Outdoor writer, transplanted Canuck. Work for the U of A, in Phoenix

upnsmokin

forshner has a great knife set for bbq.
check out www.qn4ubbqhouse.com and go to there forshner page. call Brent or Kim to see the availability being i hear that the forshner name is going away, love the set i have and would not trade it for anything.
Brett
#5 - March 28, 2010, 04:43:44 pm

jmcrig

According to this post;

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/smokers-grills-pitts-and-more/the-forschner-name-in-knives-ishas-gone-away/

The Forschner name has gone away. I have a couple of Forschners I really like, but from that post, the parent company, Victorinox, is no longer marketing the Forschner name, and maybe discontinuing the product line.
#6 - March 28, 2010, 04:58:09 pm

azkitch

I grabbed an industrial Dexter boning knife from the restaurant supply store at 35th Ave and Northern. It's one of the white handled knives that can be picked up at Costco, Sams, RD etc fairly cheaply--$10-$15 ish. It's pretty sharp, and makes a lovely, clean cut between ribs. It's a boning knife, so it is a bit flexy for carving type work, but I've used it trimming Spares down to St. Louis, and it whispers right through. I'm thinkin' bout getting the Sankotu style Sam's sells at 2/$19. They'll certainly do the job, and you won't worry about your $40-$80 or more knives.
Or get the Shun line, and wear 'em on your hip. With an alarmed lanyard.

And thanks for the links to the great websites, Marshall and Ralph. Drooling now...
#7 - March 29, 2010, 07:38:09 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzQer

Hey Dean I really like the BBQ set from Mad Cow sent a link to the wife hope she gets them for me US. Do we get a club discount do you know. You know how it goes if its on sale I got a better chance
#8 - March 29, 2010, 07:59:39 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

toys4dlr

I have the Forshner set I picked up 3 years ago from Kim and Brnet of QN4U.  I really only use three of the knives, the 14 in slicer, the 6 in curved boning and the 8 in chef. 

The stay sharp, slice great, contact Brent or Kim and see what they can do.

That said, some of the BBQ sets on the Madcow link look good. 
#9 - March 29, 2010, 09:02:08 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

DesertRat

That said, some of the BBQ sets on the Madcow link look good.

Yeah, this Mundial set is more than 50% off. I have a bunch of Mundial knives and they are the bomb!

http://www.madcowcutlery.com/store/pc/Competition-BBQ-Knife-Set-with-Mundial-Mundigrips-132p1573.htm
#10 - March 29, 2010, 06:48:41 pm

Crash

For the price, you just cant beat the Forschners.  That's all we use.
#11 - March 29, 2010, 07:38:39 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

jmcrig

Yeah, this Mundial set is more than 50% off. I have a bunch of Mundial knives and they are the bomb!

http://www.madcowcutlery.com/store/pc/Competition-BBQ-Knife-Set-with-Mundial-Mundigrips-132p1573.htm
Nice looking set.
#12 - March 29, 2010, 07:39:48 pm

azkitch

Nice looking set.

I agree. I was just drooling in my dinner over that. And for under $150..SSSssssMOKIN"
#13 - March 29, 2010, 07:41:28 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

chefrob

mundial, forshner, chicago cutlery, and even the cheapo that azkitch got are all good knives if you keep them sharp. i have had all at one time or another.
#14 - April 09, 2010, 09:24:25 pm

Mark

The last knives I got were Messermeisters. I got a big scimitar with a granton edge, a Japanese Santoku and a ham slicer. Both hold an edge well and cut cleanly. Best of all, my company bought them for me because they had contacted us as a potential account. Call it "research." ;)

http://www.messermeister.com/
#15 - April 10, 2010, 06:32:04 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: