AZ Barbeque.com

New guy to the site

Discussion started on

JaySyn

I was actually referred here by azjohnnyc, while talking with him about building a UDS.  I am not necessarily new to barbecue, but new to smoking, which is something I have always been interested in doing.  It looks like I will find what I am looking for here.  ;D
#1 - December 31, 2012, 02:49:11 pm

Bob Smith

Welcome to the forum. If you can't find it here, you don't really need it.  :D :D
#2 - December 31, 2012, 05:11:12 pm
1 small BGE
FEC 100
BCS CBJ
KCBS CBJ

bobsmith@azbarbeque.com

Mark

Even some of the stuff you'll find here, you really don't need. 8) Welcome, Jeremiah. Looking forward to meeting you and your bullfrog. ^-^
#3 - December 31, 2012, 05:50:54 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

skou

I was actually referred here by azjohnnyc, while talking with him about building a UDS.  I am not necessarily new to barbecue, but new to smoking, which is something I have always been interested in doing.  It looks like I will find what I am looking for here.  ;D

Deadly, welcome to the SMOKING Forum.

If you need ANYTHIG about a UDS, my big brother is the KING
on UDSs.  Anything you need, PM me here, or over at OCF.

steve
#4 - December 31, 2012, 07:37:33 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

AZWildcat

I have competed with my UDS's for a few years now. If you need any help in the build or advice, just give a shout. Do it right the first time. The UDS should be tailored for what YOU need. i.e....higher smoking temp (chx or power cook) versus lower temp (longer cooks). The set up can vary. Ask yourself what temps you would aim for, then custom the build towards that. I learned through trial and error. The parts can be cheap, but the build can get out of hand quickly!!  I would also encourage you to do the build yourself, you and the cooker will grow together.
#5 - December 31, 2012, 09:20:42 pm
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:23:51 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

BBQCZAR

Welcome to the site !
#6 - January 01, 2013, 08:14:52 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

JaySyn

I really love low and slow cooks.  I want to keep it around 225-250 for my cooking temperature.  For anything quick and dirty, I do have a charcoal grill, as well as a 5 burner gas grill.  I am going to be looking to see if I can get a deal on a Weber kettle grill, so that I can utilize the lid and the rack, as long as I can find one in decent shape, at a good price.  I am also liking the ideas that I am seeing from skou and skouson for their UDS's.  Something about 2 racks in there is pretty appealing to me, even if I don't think I will even have a need for that much cooking area. 
#7 - January 01, 2013, 09:08:11 pm

skou

I am also liking the ideas that I am seeing from skou and skouson for their UDS's.  Something about 2 racks in there is pretty appealing to me, even if I don't think I will even have a need for that much cooking area. 

If you build it, they will come.

It's better to have the 2 layers and not use them, than to need the 2 layers and not have them.  The difference is 3 bolts and the second grill.

One more thing, throw a pan of beans below the pork butt, and let the drippings fall on the beans.  Simply AMAZING!

steve
#8 - January 01, 2013, 10:03:39 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

skou

Oh, you can't overclock an UDS.  It's supposed to run at 225 to 250. :P

steve
#9 - January 01, 2013, 10:05:02 pm

JaySyn

Oh, you can't overclock an UDS.  It's supposed to run at 225 to 250. :P

steve

My UDS will need moar gigahertz and triple 680's in Tri-SLI!!  Phase change all the way around!!

Now that I have lost anyone who doesn't know much about computers, back to your regularly scheduled thread. :P
#10 - January 01, 2013, 10:19:44 pm

skou

My UDS will need moar gigahertz and triple 680's in Tri-SLI!!  Phase change all the way around!!

Now that I have lost anyone who doesn't know much about computers, back to your regularly scheduled thread. :P

You can take the Geek out of the city, but you can't get the city out of the Geek!

Deadly, you'll fit in just right, here! :D

steve
#11 - January 01, 2013, 10:22:01 pm

JaySyn

You can take the Geek out of the city, but you can't get the city out of the Geek!

Deadly, you'll fit in just right, here! :D

steve

I have been a Geek for a long time, and I don't expect it to change any time soon.  Though it does seem that I am a bit behind on my computer hardware, I may build something again soon.  I am going to say that a smoker is going to be my first priority though.  8)
#12 - January 01, 2013, 10:38:24 pm

skou

Jeremiah, my "newest" rig is based on the IP-35, so I know what you're going through.

My newest Smoking rig, however, is the tried and true UDS.

Whatever I can do, I'll do.

steve
#13 - January 01, 2013, 10:50:24 pm

JaySyn

Jeremiah, my "newest" rig is based on the IP-35, so I know what you're going through.

My newest Smoking rig, however, is the tried and true UDS.

Whatever I can do, I'll do.

steve

Mine is an EP45-UD3LR, so I am only one generation ahead of you.

I just showed a pic of a UDS to my wife, and the first thing she said is that it is definitely an eye sore.  Then I showed her a pic of a Pro Q, then explained the price, and she seems to be a bit more accepting of the UDS.  Not sure that I want to count this one as a win, considering she is my wife. 
#14 - January 01, 2013, 10:59:07 pm

skou

Deadly, my experience with the ProQ 20 was LESS than stellar.  As was Sterling's  Both of us HAD them, and no longer HAVE them.

I was cooking 6 turkeys for friends at work, on the ProQ and could NOT get above 200 degrees F.  Told my friends to finish the birds off, in their ovens for an hour at 300 degrees F, and they all came out OK.

Sterling, was cooking something on his (not anymore) Pro-Q, and again could not achieve 200+ temps.  Dumped the charcoal basket in his first UDS, and we were at 225+ in no time.

Bought mine for $100, sold it for $80.  Sterling made a profit on his, and kept the cold smoke generator.  (I'll be using that cold smoke generator tomorrow, to smoke some Tillamook cheese.  (2 pounds for $7.99 at my store for 2 pounds.  Sharp, co/jack and pepper Jack.)

steve
#15 - January 01, 2013, 11:12:39 pm

Members: