AZ Barbeque.com

New dude here

Discussion started on

autorotator

Hey guys/gals.
I'm very new to smoking. I had an electric smoker when I was back in Oklahoma, couldn't fit it on the trailer so I had to donate it. Not too awful upset about it though, it was a non adjustable temp one.
A buddy of mine is giving me his smoker and it's a pretty nice one. It's got the wood box on one side and the grill part is a little smaller than a 55 gal barrel. Anyway, I used hickory while in OK and got some very pleasant results. As I understand it, here in AZ, pecan is mainly the wood of choice. If there is a beginners guide on here, I would greatly appreciate if someone pointed me in the right direction. I will be picking up my smoker tomorrow and will want to get to smokin' right away. Thanks for reading and any help.

Taker easy

Cliff M.
#1 - August 13, 2009, 02:50:06 pm

KidCurry

Welcome...I do not know if there is a "newbie guide" per say but some liberal use of the search function followed by a few question should get you going!! 

When you get it, we would love to see some pics of your smoker!!

Once again Welcome!
#2 - August 13, 2009, 02:54:27 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

RudedoggAZ

Welcome Cliff! I'm a newbie as well and foud this site to be very helpful and the people on here are great with discussions. I'm sure you will get up and running in no time and definitely make sure you check out the daily posts.

#3 - August 13, 2009, 03:08:41 pm

Crash

Welcome Cliff. 
We use apple, cherry, hickory, peach, pecan...depending on what we are cooking.  Just post up whatever questions you have and you should receive a quick response.
#4 - August 13, 2009, 03:22:19 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

autorotator

Yeah that was quick! Thanks for the rapid response. I look forward to picking your brains. Thanks alot!
#5 - August 13, 2009, 03:30:36 pm

smitty250

Welcome Cliff - you are in the right spot. Read through a bunch of these threads and you will find a wealth of info. Also don't be afraid to ask questions.
#6 - August 13, 2009, 03:32:25 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

olivesmoker

Welcome Cliff.  Check out the forum on BBQ fuel discussions a lot of info on there. Enjoy the smoke!! 8)
#7 - August 13, 2009, 03:47:51 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome Cliff, great to have you on here.  Like they said, there is a ton of info on here, use the search function and you will find quite a bit.

If you don't see something, post a new topic.  Odds are, if you are thinking it, so are others.  Our group is great about helping out and giving support, so don't be shy, jump on in and enjoy.

We look forward to seeing you online here and hopefully getting a chance to meet you soon out at some of our events.

WELCOME!!
#8 - August 13, 2009, 03:50:41 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

autorotator

Looking forward to it. Thanks again!
#9 - August 13, 2009, 04:13:48 pm

RobOConnell

Welcome Cliff, glad to have you here. I too am learning about the qualities of different wood for smoking. I myself have tried Hickory(careful with this, it can get out of hand fast), Oak(not bad, havent decided on it yet), Mesquite(pretty good) but I have grown fond of the fruits such as apple and citrus. Apple has a smooth and yet mellow flavor great for porks, and citrus is a bit bolder but not extreme, great also for pork, but my family loves it for chicken. As for pecan, I know I am very allergic to pecans. Thus I have never tried it to smoke with. The best I can say is try them all with each of your meats, flavor changes with amount of smoke, time, as does the rubs and sauces used. So experiment a bit and see what you like best. I have also heard some mix the woods for various flavors. Have fun, and dont be affraid to ask, we will gladly have an answer for you.

Rob
#10 - August 13, 2009, 07:33:58 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

AzJohnnyC

Welcome, Cliff!  Jump right in with any questions you have, and share your experiences with us!  Pics are a plus!
#11 - August 13, 2009, 07:39:32 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

autorotator

You guys are awesome!
#12 - August 13, 2009, 07:53:09 pm

azkitch

We try. We like questions almost as much as we like pictures. Especially Dean's (desertdog) pics! And lots of things happening in the coming months, so get out to some activities and meet a bunch of people.
Careful with mesquite, stronger than the others. Apple rocks for pork!
#13 - August 13, 2009, 08:43:57 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzJohnnyC

By the way, Autorotator, are you a helicopter pilot? Just wondering. I'm a fixed-wing pilot, and I know that autorotating is an emergency procedure for chopper pilots.
#14 - August 14, 2009, 08:49:43 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

toys4dlr

Welcome to the bunch, it is a good time.
#15 - August 14, 2009, 09:32:57 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Members: