AZ Barbeque.com

Help finding wood in Tucson

Discussion started on

RBChallenger

OK, so I have a BBQ coming up that I am hosting this weekend. I will be making pulled pork and tri-tip. The only wood I have at home is some mesquite chunks. My plan is to start out early in the morning (food is being served at 5:30 PM) with the pork butt and then about 1:30 - 2:00 starting the tr-tip (in the same smoker)... with the hopes of having both ready at roughly 5:30 (along with baked beans and potato salad). So my question is, for the pulled pork I'd like to get my hands on some nice apple chunks for my R2D2 smoker. Can anyone tell me where I can get something other than the tiny little chips here in Tucson?

Also, I want to smoke the tri-tip a bit as well so I wonder if adding another chunk or two that late in the smoke with the pork will cause any bad news for the pork itself? At the end of the smoke I plan to take both chunks of meat and stick them right over the coals and grill for a nice sear on the tri-tip and a bit of bark on the pulled pork. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, made tri-tip over mesquite last weekend for the first time and.. wow!!! It almost makes me not want to mess with briskets it turned out so flavorful and tender. Thanks again for any help!
#1 - October 20, 2009, 11:59:19 am
Regards,
Rich

RBChallenger

As one more side note, I have a bag of Red Oak charcoal that I plan to use for fuel. Of course, my fall back will be some chunks of hickory... cant go wrong with hickory I figure for beef or pork.
#2 - October 20, 2009, 12:03:48 pm
Regards,
Rich

jmcrig

If it's any help, BBQ Island at I-10 and Warner has chucks of apple. let them know you're a member and they'll treat you right. They're whole round chucks.
As far as putting wood on for the tri tip, don't worry about the pork. Most people would have it wrapped by then. Generally meat quits taking on smoke by about 130 degrees.
#3 - October 20, 2009, 12:11:15 pm

smitty250

It's going to be difficult to get any wood in Tucson - might want to try Tempe for that.  ;)
#4 - October 20, 2009, 12:15:56 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

bbqphx.com

Not sure about apple but there's a big pecan grove in Sahuarita and they sell wood.  The firewood is sold on Saturdays and Sundays only, from 7:00 AM
#5 - October 20, 2009, 02:34:51 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

RBChallenger

If it's any help, BBQ Island at I-10 and Warner has chucks of apple. let them know you're a member and they'll treat you right. They're whole round chucks.
As far as putting wood on for the tri tip, don't worry about the pork. Most people would have it wrapped by then. Generally meat quits taking on smoke by about 130 degrees.

At what point do you guys typically wrap your pork butts? I actually havent been doing that at all, maybe that would help some with moisture and the like. Id appreciate any pointers. Thanks!
#6 - October 20, 2009, 02:43:59 pm
Regards,
Rich

RBChallenger

Not sure about apple but there's a big pecan grove in Sahuarita and they sell wood.  The firewood is sold on Saturdays and Sundays only, from 7:00 AM
Good to know, I'll definitely have to check that out. Sounds like for this Saturday I may just stick with some Hickory. Thanks for the note on the pecan wood, weill definitely have to pick some up.
#7 - October 20, 2009, 02:44:59 pm
Regards,
Rich

Mike (AZBarbeque)

We wrap our Pork Butts at 165 - 170, then take them to 195..
#8 - October 20, 2009, 03:02:54 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

RBChallenger

We wrap our Pork Butts at 165 - 170, then take them to 195..
Cool, thanks for the info. I will give that a go this time around!!!
#9 - October 20, 2009, 04:09:33 pm
Regards,
Rich

bbqphx.com

There was more info on this post, I'm certain as I've not had any alcohol :)  I apologize if we're not supposed to post info on businesses like that, now I know.
#10 - October 20, 2009, 04:23:43 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

Mike P in Tucson

I have heard that the English Family Orchard in Willcox may sell apple wood.  You might try contacting them:

English Fruit Farm
Willcox area
Dwight and Paul English
(520)384-4857
englishfruitfarm at yahoo dot com
#11 - October 21, 2009, 09:36:54 am
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

AzQer

If chunks is the only thing you are looking for and need it in a hurry go to BBQ World on broadway or they have one on oracle rd. They sell chunks for about 20 buck for a good bag
#12 - October 21, 2009, 10:39:36 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

bearbonez

Definitely check out the pecan farms. There are tons of them around Tucson.
#13 - October 22, 2009, 07:56:57 am
David "Bear" Nunley

RBChallenger

Ended up just using hickory chunks and some little apple chips I had laying around. Wrapped at 165 and man, was the best yet. Definitely not as harsh a bite as the mesquite I had used in the past. It was a huge hit.
#14 - October 28, 2009, 12:36:16 pm
Regards,
Rich

jmcrig

Glad we could help. Now that you ain't under the gun, there's got to be some buys on pecan wood around. Good luck.
#15 - October 28, 2009, 12:41:30 pm

Members: