AZ Barbeque.com

Help finding wood in Tucson

Discussion started on

AzQer

Richard,
I picked up some pecan from Nordstroms this last week I got a wheelbarrel full of chunks and scraps for 20 bucks
#16 - October 29, 2009, 07:42:32 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

RBChallenger

Good deal, some pecan is defintely in my future. :)
#17 - November 02, 2009, 04:47:17 pm
Regards,
Rich

BMSMB

Anybody having any luck getting some Pecan wood?  I called the Pecan Store and apparently they won't be selling again till labor day.
#18 - April 05, 2010, 06:55:48 pm

graves83

Arizona Cordwood off of Grant, sells pecan. I ended up going there a couple of weeks ago. I filled up 6 plastic grocery bags of pecan chunks for $5. Best deal I have found so far.
#19 - August 16, 2010, 09:28:07 am

AZWildcat

There is a small Tucson wood yard off Ajo and Mission, but actually on Mission Rd. They sell Mesquite and Pecan, but I got a wheelbarrow full of Pecan for 20 bucks, well dried and seasoned. He'll sell ya the better part of a pickup bed for $50 bucks if I remember right. It's right next to a tire shop, blink and you'll miss is.
#20 - August 16, 2010, 09:49:59 am
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:51:49 am by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mark

blink and you'll miss is.
Isn't that Tucson's new motto?  ;)
All kidding aside, Tucson is moving up. The MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) is now over a million, making it the size of metro Memphis. Phoenix's MSA is 4.5 million, making us the 11th biggest metro area in the Country. Phoenix itself is the America's 5th biggest city, Tucson is 32nd and Mesa is 39th.
#21 - August 16, 2010, 10:15:32 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

Well I was smart enough to move out of Phx in 91', before it got too dumpy. Unfortunately, when I come back to visit all my family I can't go anywhere without a bum trying to ask for $$. oh well.......and damn..........you guys know how hot it is there?
#22 - August 16, 2010, 06:23:44 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

azkitch

Well I was smart enough to move out of Phx in 91', before it got too dumpy. Unfortunately, when I come back to visit all my family I can't go anywhere without a bum trying to ask for $$. oh well.......and damn..........you guys know how hot it is there?
Oh, I'd say 'bout 5 degrees more'n there...But it's 2 effin' big. Says the guy who grew up in the DC 'burbs, lived in LA 'burbs for 5 years. I'm ready to bolt for some small town out amongst farms...Now if my redneck retirement would just hit!!
#23 - August 16, 2010, 09:17:43 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

Phx is dumpy? VanBuren is Rodeo Drive next to Speedway. :D

I can't go anywhere without a bum trying to ask for $$.

Paradoxically, the bums in Phx are all from Tucson. At least now they'll have crops to pick. ;)

As far as the 5 degree difference, Phoenix's temperature is taken at the river bottom location of the airport...as low as you can go in the Valley. Most other places around town are several degrees cooler. But the humidity of Phoenix is usually a  few points higher because of the manicured lawns and shade trees. Surprisingly, the much hotter ASU coeds don't raise the temperature versus UA's ice queens chilling the ol' pueblo. >:D
#24 - August 16, 2010, 11:03:53 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mark

I know I joke (lovingly) about Tucson all the time. It's part of being a Sun Devil and native Phoenician. But I just read a review of the new Hyundai Tucson in the NY Times that took dissing the Old Pueblo to a new level". :-\
Hyundai is usually shrewd about pricing its vehicles to undercut the competition, but the Tucson
#25 - August 17, 2010, 11:00:27 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

Phx is dumpy? VanBuren is Rodeo Drive next to Speedway. :D

Paradoxically, the bums in Phx are all from Tucson. At least now they'll have crops to pick. ;)

As far as the 5 degree difference, Phoenix's temperature is taken at the river bottom location of the airport...as low as you can go in the Valley. Most other places around town are several degrees cooler. But the humidity of Phoenix is usually a  few points higher because of the manicured lawns and shade trees. Surprisingly, the much hotter ASU coeds don't raise the temperature versus UA's ice queens chilling the ol' pueblo. >:D

Mark, I'm a native Phoenician as well, born at Good Sam....and it's a dump. If you think it's not that much hotter than Tucson, take a drive on down...the beer is on me! But hey.....whatever helps you sleep at night.   ;D  Also, as a Wildcat, dumping on Phx / Tempe is kind of a must anyway, so I understand.  If you wanna go "vehicles" Mark, you must have a short memory for the Pontiac Phoenix. A piece of junk, late 70's - early 80's death trap, when Detroit was in a slump. Look it up. That being said..... :) :)
#26 - August 17, 2010, 02:29:16 pm
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:30:54 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

AZWildcat

Mark.....reading my reply, man was I harsh. Didn't mean to sound so mean, but it looked like I came off that way. See you at an upcoming event/comp..beer and Q is on me. My apologies man.
#27 - August 19, 2010, 08:27:01 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

azkitch

But I like the bit about the Pontiac Phoenix! That right there was funny...
#28 - August 27, 2010, 09:41:22 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

I forgot about the Phoenix. Yuor right that was a piece of junk ;D
#29 - August 28, 2010, 07:03:07 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Members: