AZ Barbeque.com

Cheesesteak

Discussion started on

jrod667

Okay, I know that this isn't really BBQ, but its meat and dang good. So, I thought I'd pass it on. I spent probably 3 solid months hitting up every place I drove by, heard word of mouth on, or googled that claimed to have great cheesesteaks. From Uncle Sams in Phoenix to Corleone's in Tempe to some place by Fiesta Mall in Mesa to Charlie's at Stapley and US 60 to some place in San Tan Mall to name a few. I ate A LOT of cheesesteaks. By far, the closest thing to what I remember back east is at:

The Philadelphia Sandwich Company in old town Scottsdale (like Scottsdale Road and 5th). The key ingredient: Their Bread! It has a great crust and the meat doesn't penetrate it and make it super soggy. A Couple of places had the meat right, but this place was the only place with the right meat AND bread.

My suggestion: Cheesesteak with Mushrooms and Onions and extra white American cheese. Tell them to mix the cheese in with the everything, and its great. You may substitute the American cheese with Cheezwiz if you prefer. Also, it's open 24/7. Simply awesome.

I apologize in advance if posting this is considered BBQ sacrilege.
#1 - July 27, 2010, 11:34:50 pm

azkitch

Dean--or someone--sometime back started to hit up restaurants, to pick the best of. They started with best of green chili burgers, and they hit several restaurants. I don't remember what happened next. Maybe you guys should pick up the mantle!
#2 - July 28, 2010, 12:35:53 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Yea, it died out after the Green Chili Burgers, but Cheesesteaks were next on our list.

I will certainly have to stop by there and try that one out..
#3 - July 28, 2010, 01:41:54 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mark

Right up there with an authentic Philly Cheesesteak is Chicago's Italian Beef sammich. The pinnacle of it to many Windy City residents is Al's Beef. They just opened up a location in the Scottsdale Airpark.

http://alsbeef.com/

#4 - July 28, 2010, 05:32:32 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

grizmt

THANK YOU! I've rarely found a cheesesteak like the ones I got around Philly and I miss 'em. Gotta hit these places for sure.
#5 - July 28, 2010, 07:40:53 am

desertdog

Try DeFalcos in Scottsdale.  Kicks a$$.   :P

#6 - July 28, 2010, 08:19:16 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

revgodless

There's a place on Mill street in tempe that is owned and operated by a couple of guys from east Philly making cheesesteaks. they are beyond awesome.  you go and ask for a "cheese with" and they know what your talking about.. and the fries are awesome too.
#7 - July 28, 2010, 08:33:18 am
(480)636-6990
Promotions Department
Monotronics Security systems
AZ BBQer home owners get a $1500
system, installation, and activation for no charge.
Serving Phoenix and surrounding area

KidCurry

There used to be a place up here called Micheal's Cheesesteaks...pretty darn good, but their daughter had some health problems and they closed down.
#8 - July 28, 2010, 08:53:58 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

BERNIETHEK

Damn Dean,  The heart doc want's me to loose another 10 pounds and I'm going to  be in Scottsdale Friday.  Please tell me where it is.  Haven't had a good won since I left Philadelphia.
#9 - July 28, 2010, 03:03:24 pm
BERNIE

AzJohnnyC

Damn Dean,  The heart doc want's me to loose another 10 pounds and I'm going to  be in Scottsdale Friday.  Please tell me where it is.  Haven't had a good won since I left Philadelphia.

Bernie...we want to see you around for a long time to come...order a salad!   ;)
#10 - July 28, 2010, 06:20:59 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Mark

Yeah...a Philly salad smothered in Cheez Whiz, with a bag of Herr's chips and a Tastykake. ;) :P
#11 - July 28, 2010, 07:26:03 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

PAT YOUNG

TASTYKAKES are the best!!
#12 - July 28, 2010, 10:06:57 pm

PAT YOUNG

MARK, Does anybody carry TASTYKAKES in the valley? My wife's from the PHILLY area !
#13 - July 28, 2010, 10:11:16 pm

Mark

There used to be a Philly cheesesteak joint at 32nd St & Camelback that carried them. It is long gone, but I bet some of the other Philly places in AZ carry them. You can get them online: http://www.tastykake.com/Default.aspx

Here's a blog about them: http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2007/05/mmm_tastykakes.php

And here's a link to the cheesesteak joint that started the conversation:
http://phillycheezsteak.com/
#14 - July 28, 2010, 11:33:11 pm
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:38:48 pm by Mark »
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

desertdog

South of Thomas on Scottsdale road, right across the street from the Smart and Final.

2334 North Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
(480) 990-8660
#15 - July 29, 2010, 10:22:49 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Members: