AZ Barbeque.com

New Competition Sanctioning Body

Discussion started on

bbqphx.com

I for one don't get that worked up about garnish, frankly building four putting green boxes gives me something to do and kill time.  But, if you're going to do it don't put stupid rules in place such as no romaine but cilantro is okay.  If you're good with allowing garnish I say lets see how creative teams can get!
#31 - November 19, 2010, 04:31:57 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

Mark

That's an interesting idea, Tracy. Other sanctioning bodies get so worked up about garnish "cheats" they have every newbie judge running around shouting "Citizen's Arrest!" everytime they see a sprig of parsley out of place. Allowing a little slack on garnishes would give a l'il dose of "Memphis In May" to the proceedings.
#32 - November 19, 2010, 08:11:48 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

kellym

I for one don't get that worked up about garnish, frankly building four putting green boxes gives me something to do and kill time.  But, if you're going to do it don't put stupid rules in place such as no romaine but cilantro is okay.  If you're good with allowing garnish I say lets see how creative teams can get!
Other garnish discussions aside, Romaine lettuce is allowable in KCBS competitions.

Kelly
#33 - November 20, 2010, 05:31:35 pm

PAT YOUNG

Yeah if the newbie judge knows what romaine is! A couple years ago we got a big fat o for our romaine at a practice comp. even though i got the romaine from a brand new box that i personally opened at the store that said romaine on the box and the twist ties! And iv'e been cooking professionally for 35 years ! That being said even one of the most respected men in az bbq thought that it wasn't romaine! I also had vince ask me my box # and i watched one of the instructors put her ungloved finger on my turn in brisket, i guess to see if it was warm but only my box! And so much for cross-contamination! It just goes to show you that even seasoned cooks can still f-up ! The thing was nobody cared enough to explain what was going on- very disrespectful on all acounts!  :-[ BTW that well respected person at least had the decency to come by our camp and at least explain his opinion even though i knew he was wrong!
#34 - November 25, 2010, 02:28:37 am

grizmt

This type scenario is one reason I've been thinking a no garnish rule being the way to go. To me it makes no sense to tell a judge "it's not a garnish competition" then rule out certain types of garnish like red leaf etc. If it's not a garnish comp and we're supposed to judge only the meat then why are some greens outlawed and why do they spend sooo much time in judging class on the subject?
This sends conflicting messages to people, especially new judges. In other words if it's not about the garnish then why does it matter what you use and why add more controversy? Judging is subjective enough without adding another subjective "artistic" component to it.
Just my thoughts so far...
#35 - November 25, 2010, 06:40:27 am

Jaybird

Yeah if the newbie judge knows what romaine is! A couple years ago we got a big fat o for our romaine at a practice comp. even though i got the romaine from a brand new box that i personally opened at the store that said romaine on the box and the twist ties! And iv'e been cooking professionally for 35 years ! That being said even one of the most respected men in az bbq thought that it wasn't romaine! I also had vince ask me my box # and i watched one of the instructors put her ungloved finger on my turn in brisket, i guess to see if it was warm but only my box! And so much for cross-contamination! It just goes to show you that even seasoned cooks can still f-up ! The thing was nobody cared enough to explain what was going on- very disrespectful on all acounts!  :-[ BTW that well respected person at least had the decency to come by our camp and at least explain his opinion even though i knew he was wrong!

Thanks Pat. ;)
#36 - November 25, 2010, 08:07:28 am

RangerJurena

Seems there is already a "no garnish" sanctioning body in Arizona. Why re-invent the wheel?
#37 - December 05, 2010, 08:54:57 am
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

Members: