AZ Barbeque.com

New Competition Sanctioning Body

Discussion started on

jmcrig

I'm surprised Crash didn't just go ahead and place my vote on the garnish issue. ;D ;D
#16 - October 04, 2010, 05:06:58 pm

Hombre

If you dont like garnish go cook IBCA
#17 - October 04, 2010, 06:39:11 pm

Cornbred

I like the garnish!  I'm sick like that.  I do think it adds an element to the product and although it's a meat contest, it's also a presentation contest garnish or not.   

Same here!!! You eat with your eyes first. I've yet to see an IBCA turn in that looked as appetizing as a turn in with garnish.
#18 - October 04, 2010, 07:25:10 pm

Mrs. McFrankenboo

And conversely, if you don't like non-garnish turn-ins, go cook KCBS. I don't think the discussion was meant to be confrontational.

I think both will be a moot point  ::)
#19 - October 04, 2010, 08:17:14 pm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:31:59 am by Mrs. McFrankenboo »

AzScott

Regardless of garnish I'm sure Mike will put together a sanctioning body with us in his best interest.  As far as I have seen he always has.
#20 - October 04, 2010, 10:49:58 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Scottie

I'd like to attend, if I can...
#21 - October 06, 2010, 11:45:57 am
Scottie

Head Dishwasher cancersuckschicago.com

FE-100
FEC-100
Large BGE
WSM
Homer Simpson Weber Kettle

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Scottie, that would be great.  We would love to get your input on it.  Look forward to seeing you at the one in Tucson..
#22 - October 06, 2010, 11:56:50 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AZWildcat

I Vote for NO GARNISH, but hey, i'm just a small team trying to cook some edible food. Worrying about how a garnish is going to affect my score is gonna be the death of me.
#23 - October 06, 2010, 01:02:58 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I removed all the posts not related to this topic.  Let's try to keep this one on track..  ;)
#24 - October 08, 2010, 08:30:31 am
Michael J. Reimann

squealers

Opinion from an outsider:

with the PNWBA it takes a long time to get the new calender of BBQ contest... If you want to improve the "Arizona Barbecue Federation", try to announce events in December for the following year.... most of your big events that you have done for many years can be confirmed pretty quickly and the other smaller events can be added later on...

I am saying this because of work, many teams need to book weekend events way ahead... 8 months to a year ahead.

#25 - October 08, 2010, 09:09:52 am
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks for the feedback.  Problem with announcing things early is that a lot of times, we don't have the sponsors or $$ locked in.  We typically don't announce until we have that done, but we are leaning more toward doing so in the future due to past events..

Our goal is to initially have 6 - 8 events a year here in AZ.
#26 - October 08, 2010, 09:39:03 am
Michael J. Reimann

RangerJurena

Mike, may I ask why?  AZ has KCBS and IBCA both are established organizations with pretty straight forward rules.  Is it so you could possibly have more competitions?  You pretty much know what your getting into at the AZ cook offs, its either one or the other.

Here in Texas, there are god knows how many "sanctioning bodies".  I will say that unless its KCBS and those are rare, none of them use garnish.

For what it's worth, AZ puts on some fine competitions.  For us little guys a 9th place ribbon or medal makes it all worth while. Here it seems the norm is 1 -3 get something and the rest just get to walk up and shake the judges hand.

While the spaces are always bigger here, 30 x 30 or 40 x 40 ( seems everyone has an OK Corrall they want to set up or a giant Bull pit with the smoke coming out its nostrils) and entries are less, electricity is a crap shoot, you better ask before you arrive or read the fine print. So hats off to Mike and everyone who works to put on your competitions.

Hoping to get out that way again soon.
#27 - October 28, 2010, 06:37:53 am
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Bump...may the FORCE be with you
#28 - November 06, 2010, 12:31:17 am

force

I knew Erin would drag me into this..............BUMP
#29 - November 06, 2010, 08:21:15 am
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Smoke'N Phoenicians BBQ

Smoke N' P's vote no Garnish... Let your meat speak for itself!
#30 - November 14, 2010, 12:26:35 am

Members: