AZ Barbeque.com

Cookin for Cancer Charity/Sun. Nov 2nd

Discussion started on

Jaybird

We will again be cooking at the GbarG Lounge for Cancer Charity. Kim, the owner of the bar, does this 2 times a year and just lost her husband to cancer this past summer. Kind of ironic in a real sucky way...she has helped many victims families and survivors alike.

Vince will be coming out to help me and I'm hoping for maybe an extra hand or two. Or just come out and eat and drink and donate to the cause. Maybe we can hear some Jack war stories from Vince!

The bar is just east of Higley on Main St. in Mesa on the north side of the road. Thanks
#1 - October 25, 2008, 07:28:42 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Jay,

Sorry to hear about her husband, as you said, very ironic in a real sucky way.

What time are you going to be out there.  What are you cooking and where do you need help?

I would be more than happy to come out and lend a hand, just let me know what you need.

Always willing to helpout at a worthy cause and this certainly is one.  ;)
#2 - October 25, 2008, 07:40:05 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

toys4dlr

Hey Jay,

Do you need another hand or cooker??  What am I saying, you have 20.  Breaking out that new one??  Are you serving outside, in the bar??  Let me know if you need help or a cambro, or serving items etc.

Thanks

Please pass on my thoughts and prayers for Kim and her family.  Cancer Sucks.

David
#3 - October 25, 2008, 09:19:03 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Jaybird

Thanks guys, we will be doing about 300 pieces of chicken. They get leg quarters donated and they are huge. Need to cut the quarters in two and trim up before putting on the grill. Yes Dave, we will be using the new cooker. It is capable of about 200 pieces at a time of this size. What nice is we don't have to flip the chicken on this grill. Chicken will go on a grid then we wing nut another grid on top of that. You just flip the whole grid when you need to. It's pretty easy once you get the grids done. Anyway, we will have to unload the grids and then put the next batch on. Cooking time is about 45 minutes.
I will be talking with Kim tonight to get the time ironed out but I think it will be about 1:00 serving time on Sunday.
We will be serving outside.
#4 - October 25, 2008, 12:10:23 pm
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 12:13:28 pm by Jaybird »

colleenchassis

Thanks guys, we will be doing about 300 pieces of chicken. They get leg quarters donated and they are huge. Need to cut the quarters in two and trim up before putting on the grill. Yes Dave, we will be using the new cooker. It is capable of about 200 pieces at a time of this size. What nice is we don't have to flip the chicken on this grill. Chicken will go on a grid then we wing nut another grid on top of that. You just flip the whole grid when you need to. It's pretty easy once you get the grids done. Anyway, we will have to unload the grids and then put the next batch on. Cooking time is about 45 minutes.
I will be talking with Kim tonight to get the time ironed out but I think it will be about 1:00 serving time on Sunday.
We will be serving outside.

Have a good one!!! I hope it goes well for you!  :)
#5 - October 25, 2008, 02:43:37 pm
www.L2manufacturing.com

myspace.com/Colleenisyourfriend

toys4dlr

Jay are you going to try to hold the first batch or start serving whe they come off???  What about sides??
#6 - October 25, 2008, 07:19:13 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Thom Emery

Sounds like a great one Jay
#7 - October 25, 2008, 07:55:15 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

force

Sounds fantastic......................
#8 - October 25, 2008, 09:27:39 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Jaybird

Jay are you going to try to hold the first batch or start serving whe they come off???  What about sides??

I hate to hold them. The skin is real crispy and I would hate to cover them. I think if we let them sit until we have the next batch on, maybe ten minutes, then serve. That's the problem about having to do two batches, but that's just the way it is. In April I used a cooker that my cousin now has. We had to do three batches and we had to flip them all by hand. I had crispy skin the time it was done!! 
#9 - October 26, 2008, 07:22:40 am

Scottie

Good luck Jay.  A few days too early for me, or else I would be there!

Scottie
#10 - October 28, 2008, 12:04:49 pm
Scottie

Head Dishwasher cancersuckschicago.com

FE-100
FEC-100
Large BGE
WSM
Homer Simpson Weber Kettle

VisionQuest220

We're still in, Jay.  Alexa and the kids will also be coming and we're ready to do whatever needs to be done.

Scottie, I see you've registered for the event the following weekend and we're looking forward to seeing you again.
#11 - October 28, 2008, 12:15:06 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Jaybird

Thanks you guys. Scottie, I know you would make it if you could. You would like the bar too...it's a Packer bar complete with a Packer hearse out front.
Vince, I will call you after you have rested for a day to work out some details.
#12 - October 28, 2008, 12:54:09 pm
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:06:50 pm by Jaybird »

toys4dlr

Jay,

How much help do you need.  If you need bodies, I thiink I can get you my family too.  At worst, I can come down.

Feel free to contact me on the times and anything you might need for help.

Thanks

David
#13 - October 28, 2008, 05:22:28 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

desertdog

We're still in, Jay.  Alexa and the kids will also be coming and we're ready to do whatever needs to be done.

Scottie, I see you've registered for the event the following weekend and we're looking forward to seeing you again.

Friggin' Sweet!  Vince and Alexa can show us how to make championship Chicken!  ;D   Looks like I will be around this weekend.  Whatever ya'll need, count me in.

Dean
#14 - October 28, 2008, 08:48:12 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

VisionQuest220

Vince and Alexa can show us how to make championship Chicken!

'Ol Jaybird knows a lot more about championship chicken than I do.  I'm hoping to pick up a trick or two myself!
#15 - October 28, 2008, 08:53:01 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Members: