AZ Barbeque.com

Arizona Hogfest

Discussion started on

route66

I might have to pull out the old pig pit and try this one. I haven't done a whole hog for a couple years but it is a good party.
#16 - January 31, 2012, 07:10:24 pm

AzScott

Let me know if you do it Brandon.  I'd love to venture out and check out the pig.  Rich, I hope the event goes well since it's going towards a great cause. 

#17 - February 01, 2012, 07:42:41 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Mark

Depending on the size of the porker, it sounds like a good opportunity for someone with a La Caja China to give it a workout.
#18 - February 01, 2012, 08:11:17 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

mustang

Depending on the size of the porker, it sounds like a good opportunity for someone with a La Caja China to give it a workout.

Yes I agree it is a great opportunity, and if you don't personally own a La Caja China I think BBQ Island might let you rent one from them for this contest -- just sayin'
#19 - February 01, 2012, 04:19:02 pm

Mike P in Tucson

I would do it, but I get too tired loading and unloading those 48 concrete blocks it takes to build the pit. :D :D
#20 - February 01, 2012, 04:24:11 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Mark

The BBQ Island folks might want to consider hauling one or two down and cooking on it for the PR exposure. They sure did an amazing job on the pig they cooked a few months back! :P
#21 - February 01, 2012, 07:38:40 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

route66

A La Caja China is not large enough to cook a hog but will handle a small pig. A hog is at least 125 pounds and won't fit while a pig can be less and will fit the 48 inch La Caja box. My favorite cooks have been with 48-50 cinder blocks, a sheet of expanded metal and metal roofing top but I agree with Mike it is too much work to haul and setup as well as most events don't want you cooking on their ground. Depending on the costs involved, my erratic schedule and getting information from the promoter I hope to pull my Kingfisher out of retirement and play at this event. Anyone else want to help as it is a long cook that needs a lot of attention and adult beverages to do it right.   
#22 - February 01, 2012, 10:11:49 pm

AZWildcat

Im in to help Brandon if it goes. PM sent
#23 - February 01, 2012, 11:16:26 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

route66

Dan if everything works out we can be the Crazy Pigs on Route 66. Looking forward to it and if Scott comes aboard we can be Little Miss BBQ's Crazy Pigs on Route 66!
#24 - February 02, 2012, 12:54:48 am
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:59:34 am by route66 »

AZWildcat

It would only be fitting with his recent RGC's that Scott would have top billing!  :)
#25 - February 02, 2012, 01:18:17 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

azchef1

A La Caja China is not large enough to cook a hog but will handle a small pig. A hog is at least 125 pounds and won't fit while a pig can be less and will fit the 48 inch La Caja box. My favorite cooks have been with 48-50 cinder blocks, a sheet of expanded metal and metal roofing top but I agree with Mike it is too much work to haul and setup as well as most events don't want you cooking on their ground. Depending on the costs involved, my erratic schedule and getting information from the promoter I hope to pull my Kingfisher out of retirement and play at this event. Anyone else want to help as it is a long cook that needs a lot of attention and adult beverages to do it right.   

I'd drive up to help "babysit" also, Brandon. (I'm talking about the hog, not Dan and Scott)  :laugh:
#26 - February 02, 2012, 06:27:28 am

jimj

I know it'll fit on a Diamondplate Fat 60 or 70 as I did one for an event. Pulled the top rack and it sat there nice and pretty.
#27 - February 02, 2012, 09:19:17 am

mustang

Size limit on the larger La Caja China (Model #2) is advertised as 100lb Pig, since the depth dimension has been increased beyond the Model #1.  I'm not sure if that is optimistic hype.

Here's their ad:

La Caja China Model #2
The largest capacity of the La Caja China Models
You can cook a huge amount of food in the Model #2.

Up to 100 lbs Pig, 16-18 whole Chickens, 4-6 Turkeys, 8-10 Pork Ribs Slabs, 8-10 Pork Shoulders or any other type of meat or fish. The Following Items Are Included: Charcoal Pan & Grid, Large Dripping Pan, 2 Stainless Steel Grills, 4 S/S Hooks, one Marinating Syringe, 2 Large Metal Handles & Instructions.

Length: 48" Width: 24" Height: 24" Inside Depth: 12 3/4". Boxes are made of BC Plywood, lined with Marine Aluminum Gauge .032.
#28 - February 02, 2012, 10:31:38 am

route66

Well I talked with Nanette Duncan and this event is more a vending affair than a competition and to cook the whole hog, (which is not a hog but an 80# pig), teams must participate as a vendor. There is not an organized competition but a peoples choice with no prize or money involved with an intent to make it more fun for the public. The organizer is providing 1 pig and some pork butts for the peoples choice $2, 4oz samples to the first 10 teams and is only asking for 10% of total vendors sales. They have 9 Vendor/Teams signed up including AZBARBEQUE, Whiskey Ranch, Brown Bear BBQ, Montana BBQ and others. The deadline for the $350 entry fee is tomorrow then raises to $500 so if anyone is interested you should get your application in soon.
#29 - February 02, 2012, 02:05:54 pm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:09:11 pm by route66 »

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Well I talked with Nanette Duncan and this event is more a vending affair than a competition and to cook the whole hog, (which is not a hog but an 80# pig), teams must participate as a vendor. There is not an organized competition but a peoples choice with no prize or money involved with an intent to make it more fun for the public. The organizer is providing 1 pig and some pork butts for the peoples choice $2, 4oz samples to the first 10 teams and is only asking for 10% of total vendors sales. They have 9 Vendor/Teams signed up including AZBARBEQUE, Whiskey Ranch, Brown Bear BBQ, Montana BBQ and others. The deadline for the $350 entry fee is tomorrow then raises to $500 so if anyone is interested you should get your application in soon.

We are not signed up for it, we inquired about it, but decided to pass due to the cost plus percentage thing as well as some other issues we had with it.

It does sound like a fun event though and all for a great cause.

Hopefully someone goes & posts up some pictures...
#30 - February 02, 2012, 02:16:19 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Members: