• A$$ Kickin BBQ Cook-off: February 29, 2008 - March 01, 2008

A$$ Kickin BBQ Cook-off - Avondale Charity Event

Discussion started on

BBQCZAR

Oh man and no Crown Royal,I am so screwed  :'(
#151 - February 25, 2008, 09:38:31 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

toys4dlr

No Crown for you, but how bout Ron.  I thought he was cranky with no coffee, I really don't want to see him without his Knob Creek. 
#152 - February 25, 2008, 10:17:35 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

VisionQuest220

Oh man and no Crown Royal,I am so screwed  :'(

If I remember correctly, Jim Gold said he lives just down the street from the event site.  Maybe he'll be setting up an impromtu speakeasy in his driveway!
#153 - February 25, 2008, 12:53:13 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

force

I agree regarding the visual..........
and it's even worse........... no Jack
and yes about the filet sandwhiches......
and I know where Jim lives..........
and the lighthouse bar is a a spit away.........
and am I the only one cooking at 2am with stuff to eat?
#154 - February 25, 2008, 06:32:40 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

BBQCZAR

Will there be water avaiable ?
#155 - February 25, 2008, 07:27:54 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

force

Yes........... we can hook up a hose........... sparkling or flat?  LOL...
#156 - February 25, 2008, 07:31:08 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey all, it's almost that time.  The A$$ Kickin BBQ Cook-off, part of the Arizona Triple Crown of BBQ, will take place this coming weekend.  We just wanted to go over a few things before so that everyone is aware of what to expect.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

This event is a Benefit and will be Benefiting the Litchfield School District, Fighter County Partnership and the Litchfield YMCA.  It is being sponsored by ASS Kickin Sauces and DeWALT.

It will be held at:

Corte Sierra Elementary School,
3300 N. Santa Fe Trail,
Avondale, AZ 85392

Basic directions are Dysart & I-10, North on Dysart to Osborn, East to School & Event. Very easy to get to.

This will be a 4 meat contest (Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork, Brisket) following the KCBS Guidelines plus a best booth & Dessert category.

VERY IMPORTANT.... This event is being held on Litchfield School Grounds.  Due to that, there is NO SMOKING (Tobacco) OR DRINKING PERMITTED AT ANY TIME.  Please adhere to these rules as we don't want anyone to get in any legal trouble.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

JUDGING INFO:

Meat Inspection will be done once you sign in and I can get around to your booth.

We will supply the turn in containers at the Judges meeting on Friday night.

This event is once again being sanctioned by AZBarbeque and we will be running the judging of the event with both certified BBQ judges as well as VIP judges.

Dessert contest will have turn in at 6 pm and the desserts must be home made, no store bought desserts.  You can make it at home before you come, but it has to be made by you.

CHECK IN:

Check in will begin on Friday, February 29th starting at Noon until 2:00pm. 

Please use the EAST Gate. 

From 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm, school will be getting out and there will be no loading in due to obvious reasons (children, parents, busses, etc.) 

Check in will resume at 3:30 pm - 10 pm ( From 6 pm - 8:30 pm, I will be busy with the VIP Dinner, Desert Competition and Head Cook's meeting, so if you get here during that time, you will have to wait for your setup location.)  You must find me to check in.  My Phone # is 602-363-5196 in case you need it.

If you arrive before 2 pm, please be aware that you will not be able to leave or wander near the school from 2 pm - 3:30 pm due to all the kids leaving school.  They are very big on child safety.

HEALTH & FIRE REQUIREMENTS, ELECTRIC & ICE INFO:

Electric & Ice will be provide, but keep in mind, it's only a 110 Volt, 20 amp line.  We are working to get some plug in's for RV's, but at this time, this is all that will be available.  There will be Port-A-Johns available as well.

Everyone has to have a current Fire Extinguisher.  If you are bringing Propane tanks, the Litchfield School District only allows the 5 gallon and smaller bottles.  The Avondale Fire Dept. will be on hand to verify all of this, so please have everything readily available.

You will also need your 3 bin cleaning setup as well.  The Health Dept will be onsite on Saturday checking everyone for the bins and for health code violations, so please be ready.  Please also have a hand wash station as well.

SCHEDULE:

Friday...

Arrive Noon - 2 pm, 3:30 - 10 pm (REMEMBER, if you arrive before 2 pm, you may not wander around the school grounds until after 3:30 when all the kids are gone.)

VIP Dinner……
4 free tickets per team
$6.00 per person if paying

6:00-6:30 Social begins
6:30-8:00  Dinner
7:15-8:00  Live Entertainment
7:30-7:40  Dessert winner and sponsor recognition…
8:00  Head cook meeting…

Saturday...

Event begins at 9:30 with a 1 mile fun run, then the public will be let in about 10 am.

Turn in's will be as follows:

11:00 am - Chicken
12:00 pm - Ribs
1:00 pm - Pork
2:00 pm - Brisket

There will be a 5 minute window on each side, for example, Chicken turn in will be at 11:00 am, but will be accepted from 10:55 am - 11:05 am.

PEOPLE's CHOICE:

People's choice will run the same way it has at previous events.  The Public will purchase their "People's Choice" tickets from us for $2/ticket.  They will then come around to you and hand you a ticket.  You will supply them with a small sample of your food and collect their ticket.  At 3 pm, right before the awards presentation, you will turn in all your tickets to the judges table.  While you are at the awards presentation, they will count these up and at the end of the presentation, you go back and they will give you your money.  If you do not get your money before 4:30 pm, you will forfeit it.

People's Choice will begin right after your Chicken Turn in and go until 3 pm or until you are out of food.

PRIZES & AWARDS:

Prize fund is as follows:

Grand Champion -  $500 plus DeWALT 18 volt 4 Pack, Worksite Light & Radio. Valued at over $800 retail

Reserve Grand Champion -  $350 plus DeWALT 18 volt 4 Pack, valued at over $500 retail

All 4 Meat Categories (Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket)

1st place -  $275 plus DeWALT Worksite Light/Charge valued at over $170 retail
2nd place - $125
3rd place -  $75
4th place- Plaque
5th - 10th places - Medals

Best Booth:

1st place: $275.00 plus DeWALT Radio valued at over $120 retail.
2nd place: $125.00
3rd place:  $75.00
4th-6th place: Medals

Dessert:

1st place -   $50 plus DeWALT Radio valued at over $120 retail.
2nd place -  $25

Weekend Warrior

Grand Champion $200

Reserve Champion $100

Best Salsa, Hamburger, Carne Asada, Beef Ribs

Each category payout:

1st $100
2nd $50
3rd $25
4-10 Medals

I hope I covered everything.  If I have left something out, please e-mail me and I will get it out to everyone.

I'm really looking forward to another great competition.

See you all on Friday.
#157 - February 25, 2008, 10:47:33 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Here are the rules for WW.

1. All entries must be completely prepared on site.  Teams must check in with Patrick Lambert, by 10:00AM, at the latest, on the day of the event for an ingredients inspection.  Inspections can be accomplished as early as 7:30 AM.

2. All entries need to be at least partially prepared using a smoker or grill.  If you are using a gas grill, propane bottles are limited to 5 gal. or smaller.

3. Entries can be turned in to the judging booth up to five minutes prior to the set turn in time and up to five minutes after.  NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.

4. There must be at least six identifiable portions turned in for judging.

5. All entries must contain one of the Southwest Specialty Sauces as an ingredient. Southwest Specialty Food will be on site that day of the event and will have their sauces available for purchase.

6. Presentation of entries is wide open.  However, to ensure fair competition, the entries must be free of anything that could identify the identity of the team. 

7.  There will be a mandatory Cooks meeting at 9:30AM, at the judges booth.

Turn-in Schedule

10:30   Hamburger
11:30   Salsa
12:30   Carne Asada
1:30    Beef Ribs

Cash Awards for Each Category

1st Place --- $100.00
2nd Place --- $50.00
3rd Place --- $25.00
4th – 6th place earn medals
Grand Champion --- $200.00
Reserve Champion --- $100.00

Note:  In order to qualify for Grand and Reserve Champion, teams must enter all 4 categories.
Each team will be given 4 wristbands for entry into the event when you register the morning of March 1,2008. 
#158 - February 25, 2008, 10:48:40 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Mike (AZBarbeque)

We will be cooking up something at 2 am as well Chris, don't know what yet, probably some fatties or ABT's...

Anyone else cooking up some appetizers during the night??
#159 - February 26, 2008, 03:22:10 am
Michael J. Reimann

Jaybird

We will be cooking up something at 2 am as well Chris, don't know what yet, probably some fatties or ABT's...

Anyone else cooking up some appetizers during the night??

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
#160 - February 26, 2008, 05:53:54 am

force

Well, I'll just walk across and check it out................
#161 - February 26, 2008, 05:54:37 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Sleeping on the job again Jay... Geez, you would think he would place better with all that sleep..  ;D  ;D

Sounds good Chris, I will see you then..  ;)
#162 - February 26, 2008, 08:03:42 am
Michael J. Reimann

barbedQ

Doesn't look like we'll be able to make it out to the event.

Good Luck everyone.  If the forecast holds up looks like you're going to end up with beautiful weather.
#163 - February 26, 2008, 09:12:53 pm
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

Bbenson8247

Mike, can I purchase Friday night dinner tickets "at the door"?
#164 - February 27, 2008, 07:23:48 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I believe you can, but I will let Chris answer that, he is handling the dinner on Friday night.
#165 - February 27, 2008, 07:33:17 am
Michael J. Reimann

Members: