AZ Barbeque.com

UDS?

Discussion started on

KidCurry

I have found that my temps tend to swing just enough to make sleeping an impossability. At least for me. A stoker or guru is a nice option.

#16 - August 26, 2010, 06:46:48 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

azkitch

I've noticed with mine that the center of the charcoal burns, but leaves the edge untouched. Dunno how it does that, but that's what happens. This time, it nearly burned out. I opened up, stirred it really thoroughly, gave it about 10 minutes to flame up and re-ignite everything. She rode right to 250, started coasting down. Wonnerful!
#17 - August 26, 2010, 10:39:21 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AZBBQGRILLS

Got to ask a few questions. When tending to the fire do you need to remove the food or is there an access door to the fire. How much food can be cooked on one. They look nice seems like it would be an easy build. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this.
#18 - August 27, 2010, 04:41:01 am
AZ BBQ Grills
Heavy Duty Grill at an Affordable Price

grizmt

Got to ask a few questions. When tending to the fire do you need to remove the food or is there an access door to the fire. How much food can be cooked on one. They look nice seems like it would be an easy build. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this.
I'm interested in the answers as well....
#19 - August 27, 2010, 07:13:38 am

lecheminant

There may be some with an access door, but almost all that I see don't.  You do need to remove the food to tend the fire, but the nice thing about a UDS is that you rarely need to tend the fire.  I always fill my fire basket with lump charcoal and a few chunks of wood, put a half of a chimney full of lit charcoal on top, and it will stay lit without any tending for quite some time.  I've done many 10-12 hour cooks without having to tend the fire.  One thing I have noticed on my UDS is that it likes to stay around 235-245.  When I try to keep it at a lower temp, like 225, I tend to choke out the coals and I have to do a lot of fire tending.  So I've embraced 235-245 for my UDS.  Also, if it is windy, I sometimes need to tend the fire.

As far as how much food.  I've done 2 briskets at once; 4 pork shoulders at once, and I think there was still room for 2 more; 6 chickens at once; 8 slabs of ribs at once, in rib racks; and many combinations of the above.  If you use a Weber lid rather than a regular drum lid you can do turkey and beer can chicken.  Also with a weber lid, you can add another grate and have two levels.  I added a second grate, but it was a pain to pull the top grate off to get to the food below, so I stopped using it.  If I need to cook that much I'd rather have two smokers going.

The Pickled Pig website has a good outline of how to build a UDS.  He also outlines the cost, which I've found to be pretty accurate.  I've heard of people saying that it only cost them $60, but they must have had free drums and scrap steel and hardware, which I don't.  It isn't too hard to build.  In my opinion, burning the drum out and removing the paint is the worst part.  It can be time consuming and the soot gets everywhere.  Everything else is pretty easy.
#20 - August 27, 2010, 09:05:22 am
Gabe LeCheminant
Team: Cloud of Smoke
Smokers: Backwoods Party, ProQ Excel, and UDS

AZBBQGRILLS

If you are interested in a smoke. I build them here in tucson. I have one that has 4 grates 22 x 22. Off set fire box. You can go to my web site and have a look. If you need any help if you decide to build a UDS let me know I might be able to help. 
#21 - August 28, 2010, 11:42:37 am
AZ BBQ Grills

AZWildcat

David, do you have a price list anywhere? Just wondering what the price point area is for some of your units. I know it varies w/ options, thx!
#22 - August 28, 2010, 07:44:12 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

AZWildcat

Kid, you ever try that GURU on your UDS? How'd it work out?
#23 - August 29, 2010, 01:19:10 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

It did everything I figured it would.  Rock solid at what ever temp I picked.

The 10 cfm fan I was using is plenty strong for the UDS.  I kept the baffle closed 1/2 way and it seemed to be perfect.
#24 - August 29, 2010, 06:10:33 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Spicy Mike

My buddy Martin has a Guru for his rig and it works great! I haven't logged on to this site for a while and the funny thing is I took my UDS to work to cook the boys some ribs and chicken and thought I should try it out on the UDS after fighting with the wind.
#25 - August 29, 2010, 08:25:45 pm
Salad!?! Salad ain't food, it's what we FEED food!

AZBBQGRILLS

Sorry about the late reply on price. My small smoker sells for 650 larger with offset firebox sells for 1200. The small smoker will have three shelves with 5 inch spacing between the larger has four shelves with 8 inch spacing between. My web site is www.azbbqgrills.com Just a side note. I am going to get a couple of drums and build a UDS and see were is could be improved ie door to access the fire and possibly the food.
#26 - August 30, 2010, 06:33:27 am
AZ BBQ Grills

The3Amigosbbq

I finally did it, I built my UDS.  Took most of the weekend to do but when i put the ribs on it on sunday it was so much better than that brinkman smoke n pit i have been using.  The biggest thing i wish i would of done was for the cost of the wood ($40) i would of bought a weed burner.  I will post pics on here tomorrow.  Thanks for all the information on here it really helped out.
#27 - November 01, 2010, 11:34:52 pm
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:27:48 am by The3Amigosbbq »
Good ol' East San Diego,

Brinkman smoke "n" Pit
Three Amigo's UDS

FatCharlie

I build my UDS's with side access doors to the fire basket/ash pan.
http://img88.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=20done.jpg
#28 - November 10, 2010, 05:49:40 am

toys4dlr

charlie, that is a cool uds.
#29 - November 10, 2010, 09:57:23 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

PAT YOUNG

Too cool CHARLIE, i love the hurst shifter!! :)
#30 - November 18, 2010, 12:48:24 am

Members: