AZ Barbeque.com

Traeger smokers

Discussion started on

lantzbg

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the forum and very happy I found your organization.  After reading through many of the boards, it is obvious this is a fun, friendly, and helpful group.  Lots of great info.  Anywho, I've been using a WSM in my backyard with great results--absolutely love it!  However, I'm thinking of adding a larger smoker and have been looking at the Traeger.  After searching the forum, I can't find much info about the Traeger.  Any thoughts, ideas or helpful info would be greatly appreciated.  I'm taking my family to the upcoming festival in Prescott--can't wait!  Thanks, Lance :)
#1 - August 31, 2009, 08:24:22 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Lance,  I would HIGHLY suggest you check out our great Club Sponsors who sell Traegers, BBQ Island and Gourmet Grills.

http://www.bbqislandinc.com/ - BBQ Island  - ask for Mike or Shelton.  You can also go in there and check them out.

http://www.aztraegergrills.com/ - Gourmet Grills - ask for Ken.

They both offer discounts and deals to all of our great AZBarbeque members.

There will be a few of them cooking out at Prescott and even more out at the November Sun City Festival event, so you should be able to really see them in action.

Let us know how it goes.  We look forward to seeing you in Prescott..  ;)
#2 - August 31, 2009, 08:28:27 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crash

Welcome Lance.  Stop by and say hi when you are up in Prescott.
#3 - August 31, 2009, 08:44:37 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

toys4dlr

Hello Lance,

Like Mike said, try calling either or both of the ones above.  They can give you some help. 

I do not have a Traeger, but I have an FEC 100 (Another Pellet cooker) and I am really enjoying it.  But it is bigger than most of the Traegers and a few more $$$.

So, it really depends on your wants and your budget.

Happy cooking.

David
#4 - August 31, 2009, 09:03:15 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

force

Buy as many as smokers as you can.... see if you can catch Jay........ I doubt it
#5 - August 31, 2009, 09:27:13 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Smokn-J

I have a Traeger and love it.  Easy to control temp, set it and no need to babysit.  Results are always consistent.  Several in my family have them, lots of friends with them too.  Pellets come in all flavors - fun to blend, hardwood with fruit for example. 

Kettles and sides are good too, I just like the ease and reliability.

#6 - September 19, 2009, 11:29:14 am

jmcrig

I haven't heard of anyone unhappy with their Traeger, I have a Country Cooker. I would experiment with some of the other pellet makers, as the Traeger pellets I've used seems to make alot more ash and there is alot of dust when I dump them in the hopper. Currently I've been using BBQ Delight, and am very happy with them. Also of late, there have been some concerns of the use of filler wood and "wood oil" in Treager products. My two cents, and enjoy whatever pooper you decide on.
#7 - September 19, 2009, 01:31:13 pm

BBQ ISLAND

If you are not sure on the Traegers, Take one for a week and give it a try. Easy to use, Call us at 480-632-9227 and reserve on for a week to give it a try. Thanks!

BBQ Island
#8 - September 24, 2009, 11:35:50 am
BBQ ISLAND

jmcrig

Be carefully, if you try one for a week, you may not want to give it back. Pellet Poopers are easy to use and makes some damn good Q. I have 2 WSMs, a New Braunfels Hondo, 22 1/2" Weber kettle w/rotisserie, a 20# and a 30# electric smokehouses, a Louisiana Grills Country Cooker (pellet pooper), and a propane setup that can be used on the 18" WSM and the Hondo cookers. Of all these, my favorite is the pellet pooper. It's just plain simple, and makes good BBQ.
#9 - September 24, 2009, 12:03:48 pm
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 08:26:48 pm by jmcrig »

force

I have my dad's old Hondo....... it just keeps smokin...... unbelievable.........
#10 - September 24, 2009, 10:51:01 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

jmcrig

It's one of the original New Braunfels before they sold out and the quality went to hell.
#11 - September 24, 2009, 11:08:18 pm

kingbrutis

I have one of the older ones also. I love it. I wish I could somehow sprinkle some magik dust and make it grow. Do they make a pump?    :D
#12 - October 13, 2009, 05:25:56 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

jmcrig

Hang on to it. What they have now is the cheap Chinese steel. They have to burn more pellets to maintain temperature.
#13 - October 13, 2009, 05:30:52 pm

Members: