AZ Barbeque.com

Rotating shelves

Discussion started on

glenntm

Were a new team just getting started in this whole BBQ thing.  Out at Pulte we noticed only one team had the rotisserie smokers with rotating shelves.

Are there pros and cons to that type of smoker or personal preference?
#1 - November 23, 2009, 08:50:23 am
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:57:09 am by Tom »

Mike (AZBarbeque)

The biggest benefit is the self basting the meat receives as it rotates, but on the stationary ones, you can place them over each other and get a similar effect. 

Another Benefit to the non Rotisserie ones is that they tend to have more capacity.

Most of it comes down to personal preference and what you can afford.

Spend some time getting to know them all before you purchase or build one.
#2 - November 23, 2009, 01:27:53 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

RangerJurena

Tom,

It all comes down to preference. I've seen guys with rotisserie smokers that never have them running and guys that run them the entire cook.  Whatever works for you and whatever you can cook on is the best option.
#3 - November 23, 2009, 01:55:00 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

glenntm

Tom,

It all comes down to preference. I've seen guys with rotisserie smokers that never have them running and guys that run them the entire cook.  Whatever works for you and whatever you can cook on is the best option.

Thanks for the response guys.
#4 - November 23, 2009, 02:00:32 pm

Thom Emery

Rotos are nice for even cooking
I would have a FEC 500 if I cooked a lot of meat on a regular basis
#5 - November 23, 2009, 09:10:49 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

force

The con I would see like any machine.. eventually needs to be fixed.....
#6 - November 23, 2009, 09:25:13 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

rstone

I have a Muletuf, 4 shelves, great smoker for the money, was about 2,900.00. have done well in contest with it. It hold the heat steady for a long time which is good for comps. Check them out, just search Muletuf smokers.
#7 - February 15, 2010, 02:08:40 pm
R Stone
R and R  BBQ Team
Salt lake City UT

azkitch

I've been to their site. Great looking units.
#8 - February 17, 2010, 12:15:28 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

PAT YOUNG

Downside, power not alway's handy or close by!
#9 - February 17, 2010, 09:22:36 pm

Lizard333

Personally the only draw back I have with the rotating type is that you have to plug them in...  That is unless you run a pack of slaves, i.e. small children, to get them to spin it.  Not that I personally have any problems with the latter...  Good way to keep the kids out of trouble :D
#10 - February 18, 2010, 08:03:42 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

SmoknAZ

That is unless you run a pack of slaves, i.e. small children, to get them to spin it.  Not that I personally have any problems with the latter...  Good way to keep the kids out of trouble :D
It also keeps the kids nearby for when you need another beer.
#11 - February 18, 2010, 08:35:51 am
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

glenntm

It also keeps the kids nearby for when you need another beer.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. We decided against the rotating shelves.  That way the kids don't have spin them and they can keep a beer in my hand.
#12 - February 18, 2010, 08:39:29 am

Lizard333

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. We decided against the rotating shelves.  That way the kids don't have spin them and they can keep a beer in my hand.

Sad to hear your kids cant do both :D

Glad we could help!
#13 - February 20, 2010, 05:38:07 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

Soncho

I am about 2/3 of the way done building a 4 shelf rotissery (damn spelling). I have never used one but i thought they looked cool. It runs on a 12volt motor so i can use one large RV battery and run it for 18hrs anywhere. Im still new to this, but i have found that building them is as fun as cooking on them.
#14 - March 30, 2010, 03:49:09 pm

azkitch

I am about 2/3 of the way done building a 4 shelf rotissery (damn spelling). I have never used one but i thought they looked cool. It runs on a 12volt motor so i can use one large RV battery and run it for 18hrs anywhere. Im still new to this, but i have found that building them is as fun as cooking on them.

damn spelling French.   ;)   JK, Martin!
#15 - April 07, 2010, 06:34:08 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: