AZ Barbeque.com

Looking for tips on different woods

Discussion started on

JaySyn

I am kinda new to smoking for the most part, usually just threw a handful of hickory chips on the charcoal when doing burgers or steaks mostly, but I am getting into doing some different things lately, even going as far as considering building a UDS.  So far, I have done a few racks of ribs with some apple chunks, and used mesquite on the fire during camping trips, but now I am planning to do some more serious cooks.  I don't have the experience to get out there and get competitive, but I definitely love to cook some good meats.  There are a few woods that I have been a bit curious about, and a few of them seem to be pretty abundant locally.  I was thinking about trying some citrus woods, like orange or lime.  I would think lemon would be good for certain types of fish, like salmon, but I don't have a lot of experience, like I said.  I have also seen some Jack Daniels oak barrel chips that seemed like they would make an interesting cook.  Any suggestions from some of you that have been smoking longer than I have?  I am also a little interested in learning cold smoking, but that will likely come with time.  I'm not trying to learn anyone's secrets (unless someone wants to give them to me :D), but just looking to learn a few things that might make my Q much better.
#1 - January 14, 2013, 12:26:35 am

Crash

We always keep apple, cherry, peach, pecan and oak on hand.  We use apple and cherry on pork and pork ribs, peach for chicken and oak or pecan for our brisket.  We use apple on all of the fish we smoke.

Check out fruitawoodchunks.com for great pricing shipped direct to your door.  They have the best selection and quality that we have found anywhere.  A lot of very good teams are using the fruitawoodchunks products.

Best of luck.
#2 - January 14, 2013, 11:35:16 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

It depends on what kind of cooker you have as to whether you are better off with chips, chunks or logs. You can start off easy getting a small bag of chips at the supermarket. If you live in metro Phoenix, I recommend a visit to BBQ Island over by Ikea in Tempe for an amazing selection of smokewoods. I like their Mojo Bricks for use in my Kamados. If you have an offset cooker that can handle logs, you may want to poke around at Berry Brothers over by the airport. Both are great locations for smokewoods of all types.
#3 - January 14, 2013, 07:29:24 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

someAZdude

I use different woods for different things. Personally, I really like Mesquite on chicken and beef. You have to be careful with mesquite though as it can quickly overpower the meat and many people don't like mesquite for this reason. I always go extra light on it and it is wonderful. Fruit woods are great on poultry or pork. Haven't had the pleasure of trying out orange or grapefruit yet. I like Pecan on everything and oak is good too. Hickory is traditionally very tasty.
Experiment and see what woods YOU like on different cuts! Have fun man.

Did you see this post? It may help too
http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/charcoal-discussions/smoking-wood-chart/
#4 - January 16, 2013, 06:58:50 pm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:00:29 pm by someAZdude »
Not a competition cook. Just doing it because I love the taste/smell/creativity and enjoy feeding people!
Using a WSM to get it done!!

Mark

A good way to get moderate mesquite flavor is to use mesquite lump charcoal instead of unburnt mesquite wood. You can get bags of it at any hispanic market or in 40-lb. sacks at Smart & Final.
#5 - January 16, 2013, 07:17:36 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

JaySyn

As far as the type of smoker, I don't currently have a smoker, but have been using my charcoal grill using what seems to be called the "snake method" which I had learned from AZjohnnyC.  Basically the charcoal is lined up around the edge of the grill, start it with a chimney, then start at one end, then let it burn to the other.  I have some apple chunks, and also some hickory chips as of right now.  I will be upgrading to a UDS pretty soon, I just need to get some cash together to get the drum and all the parts to get it started. 

The reason I had posted this thread is because I was wondering if anyone had any experience using any citrus woods for smoking.  I would think they would be pretty good for certain kinds of meats.  I am a big fan of BBQ Island, and have actually been getting a lot of the pre made rubs and sauces from there.  I have yet to try some lump charcoal, but eventually I will give it a try.
#6 - January 17, 2013, 05:10:42 pm

Crash

As far as citrus woods go, I've never personally used them.  They also don't seem to be a popular wood source for smoking meat. 

I'm sure they are decent, but there are much better woods out there for smoking.
#7 - January 18, 2013, 02:18:48 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

Paul Kirk lists them up near the tops of all smokewoods. Personally, I've never tried it. Decades ago, my Old Man bought me a cord of lemon wood for my fireplace. I had a sore throat all winter long and blamed it on the wood. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be tasty on meats.
#8 - January 18, 2013, 01:12:37 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AzScott

I use orange wood for fish and paella.  It has a nice flavor.  I have not tried lemon or lime.  I
#9 - January 18, 2013, 06:37:40 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

azkitch

I have mulberry from a neighbors tree...I've had a handful of "citrus" wood...I doubt that one could taste the difference between lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, tangerine woods on a smoke lasting less than many hours. Or so I've heard.

The huge bags of lump charcoal at Sam's, (If they still have it), Restaurant Depot and Smart n Final are all mesquite lump. And at $11-$15, a great deal, too.

Fry's has hickory chunks as well as chips...
#10 - January 19, 2013, 04:47:10 pm
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:50:37 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

skou

Jay, have you talked to my brother about a drum yet?  It'll probably cost more
in gas, driving to his house, than the UDS would cost.  (I'll even show you how
to overclock it.) :D

I've heard about citrus being good to smoke with, it just needs to dry for over a year.

Mesquite charcoal, when we get them at work, they're $7.99 a 40 LB bag.  BUT, you
gotta beat me! :D 8)

steve
#11 - January 19, 2013, 06:53:52 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Mark

I definitely gotta check your store out, Steve. It sounds like a hoot!
#12 - January 20, 2013, 12:08:43 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mark

I was in the SE Valley and finally went to Steve Skouson's store...American Discount Foods. (I wanted to introduce myself to you, Steve, but you weren't in yet.) What a wacky experience! The place is huge and stocked with all kinds of commercial foodstuffs at ultra cheap closeout prices. A lot of stuff is fading fast, but if you are judicious in your shopping you can pick up some real finds. Example: they have 2 lb. loaves of Tillamook sharp cheddar for $3.99. That's just a couple bucks a pound for some high quality cheese. Such a deal! 8)
#13 - January 23, 2013, 04:30:11 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

skou

I was in the SE Valley and finally went to Steve Skouson's store...American Discount Foods. (I wanted to introduce myself to you, Steve, but you weren't in yet.) What a wacky experience! The place is huge and stocked with all kinds of commercial foodstuffs at ultra cheap closeout prices. A lot of stuff is fading fast, but if you are judicious in your shopping you can pick up some real finds. Example: they have 2 lb. loaves of Tillamook sharp cheddar for $3.99. That's just a couple bucks a pound for some high quality cheese. Such a deal! 8)

THANKS, Mark!

Oh, it not just the sharp.  Co-jack as well as Monterrey jack.  (That may be pepper jack.)

That cheese will LAST forever, in those packages.  Got some over a year ago, and it is still looking good,
in the shrink-wrap pack

Yes, SMOKE IT!!  It's amazing, if you have a cold smoke generator.

steve
#14 - January 23, 2013, 04:57:20 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

SmokeWatcher

Berry Bros. Firewood is a good source for all your local firewood needs....cooking and othewrwise.

http://www.bbfw.com/
#15 - January 24, 2013, 04:03:33 am
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

Members: