AZ Barbeque.com

Before I blow myself up!

Discussion started on

Griller42

Just scored an awesome tank in great shape to start my new smoker project. (thanks Stew!) Only problem is that it's a propane tank and recently had propane in it.  I have done a lot of welding on diesel fuel tanks with no problem.  Either filling the tank to capacity, or filling with nitrogen.  But propane is a different beast.  Any suggestions on how to clear the tank so I can take a plasma to it and start the build?  My face isn't the best looking, but I may need it down the road.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  P.S.  Love this website!
#1 - October 12, 2011, 08:23:51 pm

SmoknAZ

Fill with water, let sit for a few days to a week, and repeat. When ready to cut you can keep it full of water if the plasma will still cut, fill with an inert gas such as CO2, fill with exhaust from your vehicle, or put dry ice in it and the CO2 from that will displace it. If you reply back in a couple of weeks I will know it worked and then I can do mine.
#2 - October 12, 2011, 09:42:16 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

Mark

Use every precaution and then proceed with caution. I remember reading a blog on Ray Basso's forum a few years ago about a guy who hit a pocket of gas while cutting a propane tank. It removed a good portion of his head. ??? A mind is a terrible thing to waste. 8)
#3 - October 12, 2011, 11:53:56 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: