AZ Barbeque.com

NEED SOME HELP

Discussion started on

Tempe BBQER

I am hoping someone can give a new person a hint on the type of smoker that is good to get started.. i have a weber grill I use now, and had a water smoker before.. I am not looking at a big rig just want to get some experience
#1 - March 08, 2009, 07:54:53 pm

Crash

If you really want to start small just to get your feet wet and do backyard cooking, a Brinkman should work just fine for you.  If you want to get a little more serious, I'd try a Weber Smokey Mountain or one of the Pro Q products.
#2 - March 08, 2009, 08:12:32 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Quiggs

Crash said it all.... Brinkman is very cheap to start with and it's hard to beat the WSM..just look at team who took Grand Champion at this weekends comp..... Rhythm & Que with four WSM's!!
#3 - March 08, 2009, 08:20:02 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

VisionQuest220

How can I disgree?

Get yourself a WSM, either an 18.5" or a larger 22.5", and you'll have one of the most simple yet effective smokers on the market.

Have fun and welcome to the neighborhood.
#4 - March 08, 2009, 08:37:43 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Jaybird

A Brinkman is a waste of time and money. WSM all the way.....trust me.
#5 - March 08, 2009, 08:39:56 pm

VisionQuest220

Jaybird has one more Grand Championships with WSMs in his cooking arsenal than anyone I know.

Trust the man.  He knows his stuff and is, in my opinion, the best competition barbeque cook in Arizona.
#6 - March 08, 2009, 08:41:58 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I couldn't agree more.  Economical, effective and lots of help available on them since so many members own them.

Jay is our reigning ToY champion, he might know a thing or two about BBQ.  ;)
#7 - March 08, 2009, 09:13:06 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Tempe BBQER

Thanks so much everyone.. great info.. I guess I need to go get one of those huh :) 
#8 - March 08, 2009, 11:24:51 pm

BrianL

I agree with the WSM recommendation.  Have had mine for a few weeks now and it's great.  Only problems that I've had with it were due to user error and not the WSM itself.
#9 - March 09, 2009, 12:04:38 am
SQUEAL TEAM SIX
Memphis Advantage
Onyx Oven
22.5" & 18.5" WSM

Cornbred

If you can afford to spend the MONEY get the WSM 22 incher!!!!
#10 - March 09, 2009, 06:02:24 pm

force

The wsm is by far a great smoker......and for the money..... you can't beat it.........
#11 - March 09, 2009, 09:43:17 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

azkitch

Unless you've got the better part of a grand and a couple of cruiserweights to help haul around a BGE...those ceramic cookers really look and sound cool...but from what I hear and read, the WSM is a wonderful tool. I personally am going to build an upright/ugly drum smoker, as soon as I convince DW (darling wife) that I need to start making my yard look like Jay's. A collection of BBQ devices to keep the greenery trampled down.
dk
#12 - March 09, 2009, 10:42:12 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

toys4dlr

I have to agree with the advice, but you have to figure out your needs. 

If I could only have one cooker in the backyard it would be a ceramic.  Because you can smoke, grill, bake or make pizza's all on the BGE or Primo.  You will love pizza off the BGE, I know we do.  also I take mine to about 500 plus for steaks, man do the ribeye's turn out so good.

So if it is just for smoking, the WSM's are great.  However, a ceramic will give you several cooking options, but they are more expensive.

Best of luck.
#13 - March 10, 2009, 08:12:10 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Members: