AZ Barbeque.com

Rub essentials

Discussion started on

JSin

Pretty basic topic... I have arecipie which I will reveal <note I do not measure and I guestimate> But what do you consider essential.

JSin
#1 - October 10, 2006, 07:14:11 pm

capt ron

My essentials I like to have some salt, sugar, garlic powder,onion power,dry mustard and a lil' this and that... ;)
#2 - January 16, 2007, 04:29:13 pm
"Smokin' ain't no habit...It's an art!"

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Wow, must have missed this post originally, sorry for that.

My essentials are Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Garlic Salt, Celery Salt, Pepper, Cajun, Cayene, Onion Powder and typically some sort of season salt, like Lawry's Seasoning.

I don't measure either, but rather go by Capt Ron's Method...A lil' of this and a lil' of that...  Seems to work!!  ;)
#3 - January 16, 2007, 07:47:44 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

ron b

sounds like ou need more salt :P >:D
#4 - January 16, 2007, 08:54:48 pm
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

bearbonez

I seem to have the same problem measuring out things too. I have to guesstimate how much I use when I write out a recipe.
#5 - January 17, 2007, 07:32:01 am
David "Bear" Nunley

newsmoke

bringing this back to the surface  ;D
I also like to throw in some light brown sugar, paprika and chili powder as well as several of the previously listed. I did finally write it down and now it only takes a minute or two to throw together enough for a few cooks
#6 - May 03, 2010, 08:15:42 pm

jmcrig

Fresh ground chipotle peppers and homemade chilli seasoning with fresh roasted cumin seeds.
#7 - May 03, 2010, 09:01:18 pm
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:12:49 pm by jmcrig »

DanMan

I have found it essential to have something to apply the rub to!
#8 - May 04, 2010, 08:52:58 pm

goldenegg

Same as those above, I wing it, the goal always is to have a "bite", some real discernible spicyhot to the mix.

Dried habanero accomplishes this, found it in a granular type "powder" form one time....I believe that this was at the Mexican Swapmeet, 35th ave + Buckeye.

That was a beautiful thing, re: rubs and just spicing up foods in general I should have bought more, much more.

With where you live Dan, theres a BBQ Store a couple miles North of you that has recently added an amazing rub....I forget what its called ("Naked" something, I thought) and understand people wanna make their own rubs but were one of a mind to get a premade, that stuff rocks. Spicy.
#9 - May 05, 2010, 02:48:54 am

glenntm

The best type of rub for making great bark and flavor will have about 35% salt, 35% sugar, 15% paprika, and 15% of other flavor spices.

Be sure the salt and sugar are close to these amounts.  You will notice a difference.

#10 - May 05, 2010, 07:33:52 am

seacus

Garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, fresh ground black pepper, and brown sugar....  my new addiction, chipotle powder and Ancho Chili powder from World Market. 
#11 - April 04, 2011, 09:50:15 pm

Smoker Man

I no longer add salt or sugar to my rub.  I am getting more simple with them.  Last week I did baby backs and pork shoulder and just added garlic powder, that's it.  I usually don't sauce my ribs so the flavor of the pork ribs came through.  I added a bit of salt afterwards and that was it. 

the pulled pork I made a #5 sauce listed here somewhere, added a bit of spice to it and it was perfect.  made home made rolls which were hot out of the oven and soft. 

too much stuff and I can't taste the meat.  Seems so many that the meat is just there to hold the rub/sauce. 
#12 - November 05, 2011, 10:36:43 pm

Mark

#13 - November 06, 2011, 12:28:56 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Anthony Spices

Want the essentials?  Buy Anthony Spices and you will get everything you every imagined. 

www.anthonyspices.com
#14 - November 12, 2011, 10:52:28 pm
Lance Anthony
Anthony Spices, LLC
www.anthonyspices.com

RudedoggAZ

Sumac!!!  ???
#15 - November 12, 2011, 11:03:38 pm

Members: