AZ Barbeque.com

Event Rules

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Many of you have asked for some rules & info for these events.  Here you go..

Teams may show up on the day of the event starting at 3 pm for the June, July & August Events and Noon for the September Event (Ribs take longer to cook on site.)

Team spaces are limited, so sign up early to lock in your space.  These are NOT full comp spots.  Electric is NOT available, if you need it, bring it.

For the June event, you may cook your Pork at home and bring it fully cooked & wrapped to pull or slice at the event.

For the August event, you may cook your Brisket at home & bring it fully cooked & wrapped to slice at the event.

For the September event, you may cook your Ribs & Tri Tip at home and bring it fully cooked & wrapped to slice at the event.

For the July event, the chicken MUST be cooked on site.  You can prep at home, but due to the sensitivity of chicken, it MUST be cooked on site.

All other foods can be prepped at home, but should be cooked on site including the Brats, Chicken, Chicken Wings & Burgers.

Teams are required to have a hand wash station set up and to have a Certified Fire Extinguisher on hand.

We will be selling sample tickets to the public for $2/ticket with $1/ticket going back to the teams.  Teams are responsible for supplying their own cups, napkins & utensils.

Turn in containers will be provided for the Comp meats of Pork, Chicken, Brisket & Ribs.  You can use garnish if you like, it is NOT mandatory.

For the Brats, Wings, Burger & Tri Tip, we can give you a turn in container of you can supply your own.  The only requirements is that they MUST be able to be carried by one person.

We look forward to seeing you all out there, sign up today & enjoy this great, fun Summer BBQ Series.

Any other questions??
#1 - June 05, 2011, 11:44:19 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AzJohnnyC

There are a few other minor rules that may need to be posted, for clarification.  Just so the new teams have a better handle on what they're turning in.
#2 - June 05, 2011, 11:52:25 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Post them up if you can Johnny..  Thanks for the feedback..  ;)
#3 - June 05, 2011, 11:59:54 am
Michael J. Reimann

AzJohnnyC

I think the one issue I saw was putting cups of sauce/condiments in with the turn-ins.  This, of course, was a byproduct of brand new teams, unfamiliar with how competition boxes are presented. Teams should turn the product in how they feel it is best represented.  If you feel your meat stands well alone without sauce, don't include it.  If you feel your sauce is complimentary to your meat, add it before you box it.  That's a rule I don't think we touched on.  Future events should perhaps not DQ a team for putting sauce/condiments in separate containers in their boxes (this could be construed as "marking"), but the judges should be admonished to not put those sauces/condiments on the meat, and the sides should be removed from the box by the table captain after presentation, but before sampling.  Maybe?  Any other feedback?  Other than that, I don't think I saw anything out of the ordinary, and there were some fine entries by all teams!
#4 - June 05, 2011, 12:35:50 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Mark

I completely agree with Johnny about the sauce and presentation of pork.

And since some of the categories in this series are out of the traditional 4 meats (stuff like brats, wings, burgers) we will likely see more "distinctive" entries. Ultimately, both cooks & judges know that everyone here is doing their best, and more importantly, having a good time!

The mini series is ideal for those of you who have ever thought about competing, but didn't want to invest the time, money and pressure of a 2-day 4-meat contest. Try it! You'll like it! ;D
#5 - June 05, 2011, 02:03:37 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

I agree with Johnny and Mark. There should be no choice as to how the entry is served. If you want sauce on your meat, sauce it before bring it to turn-in. If you want the judge to eat a brat with a bun, mustard, and sauerkraut. Bring it to turn-in that way. These competitions are about fun, and teaching new teams about competition BBQ. We don't need to foster any bad habits. ;D
#6 - June 05, 2011, 02:30:38 pm

bucaguy

Thanks for posting this up. My wife was there to turn sauces in for me and got to judge meat.  She even made a comment about someone turning meat in with sauce on the side.  She said that she thought it was a newbie that did it and then when I enter one I better not do it. ;D
#7 - June 05, 2011, 04:03:11 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Scott, I have your gift certificate for your winning sauce entry.

Will you be out at next month's event?  If so, I can give it to you there.

Let me know..
#8 - June 05, 2011, 04:04:46 pm
Michael J. Reimann

MSUDawg32

Another request from those of us who are total competition noooobs...

Is there any chance you guys would be so kind as to also provide a "don't forget to bring this" list along with the rules?

Or do we just have to learn the hard way.

Thanks.
#9 - June 23, 2011, 01:06:35 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

List of suggestions to bring.

Chicken
BBQ
Charcoal and/or Propane
If doing wings, you might need a deep fryer
Knives
Cutting Board
Tables, at least 2 of the six footers
Pop up tent
Lots of drinking water
Hand wash station (Water, Soap, Bucket)
Paper towels
BBQ Sauce
Foil
Tongs
EZ Hook
Garnish in case you want to use some for your chicken.

What else??  I will post more as I think of it..
#10 - June 23, 2011, 03:16:22 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Crash

List of suggestions to bring.

Chicken
BBQ
Charcoal and/or Propane
If doing wings, you might need a deep fryer
Knives
Cutting Board
Tables, at least 2 of the six footers
Pop up tent
Lots of drinking water
Hand wash station (Water, Soap, Bucket)
Paper towels
BBQ Sauce
Foil
Tongs
EZ Hook
Garnish in case you want to use some for your chicken.

What else??  I will post more as I think of it..
Thermometer
Rubs
A good Pit B!tch
#11 - June 23, 2011, 09:41:51 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Crashs Wife

Crash a good Pit B!t@h is hard to come by....  Where would you find one?  LOL :angel:
#12 - June 23, 2011, 10:37:49 pm
Crash's Better Half :)
AKA Pit B!t@h

bucaguy

Turn in boxes are provided?  Also for samples what will we need for this.. Paper Plates?.... what are the samples... 2oz chicken Thigh and 1-2 wings
#13 - June 28, 2011, 05:38:15 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Turn in containers are provided for the Comp chicken, the wings you can use whatever you like.  If you want to use a 9 X 9 clamshell, then we can provide that, if you want to use your own platter, you can do that and you will get that back after the judging.

For the People's choice, since it's chicken, you can use small plates or just serve it on napkins.  Not sure how this will be.  Last month, it was very limited.  Hopefully we get more public to come out and want to try it this month.
#14 - June 28, 2011, 05:43:41 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Members: