AZ Barbeque.com

Linked Events

• Out of the Ashes BBQ Comp: September 07, 2012 - September 08, 2012

Out of the Ashes BBQ Comp - Springerville, AZ

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

I've had 2 Sons bbq before,  and I too will gladly stack them up against anybody else.
#196 - August 31, 2012, 08:06:56 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mark

I've had 2 Sons bbq before,  and I too will gladly stack them up against anybody else.

I agree. And with the addition of that beyootiful UDS, it can only get better.
#197 - August 31, 2012, 08:49:09 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

I am fine with 145 Grill going against Mike P. Since 145 Grill will be cooking for our side, we can have Cowboy way cook for you southerners against Swimmin in Smoke.
#198 - August 31, 2012, 09:46:37 am
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

Mike P in Tucson

Hey, thanks for the kind words.  But it looks like, after stirring things up here, I'm gonna drop out of this comp.  I have decided I am too old for all the work it takes to do a comp solo.  Not just at the comp, but all the prep work, getting things ready, loading everything up (before and after), unloading everything (at comp and at home), etc.  Not to mention having to work our of the back of a pickup truck.  I had signed up hoping Matt would be able to make it, but he has too many things going on in his life.  So, 2 Sons is being put to rest.

145 Grill, I don't know if you can let another team use my registration, but if you can, go ahead.

On the bright side, I have some things for sale:
canopy
folding table with leg extensions
3 buckets for wash station
small and large disposable cutting boards
Nitrile gloves -- large
other stuff, would have to inventory.
#199 - August 31, 2012, 09:51:27 am
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

AZWildcat

While I completely understand, you will be very much missed! Maybe you ought to keep that stuff for the competitions close to home. I will be more than willing to help in anyway I can Mike.
#200 - August 31, 2012, 10:20:26 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

smitty250

Mike - We are are willing to help you out in any way - loading out/up, running your boxes, setting up, etc. It would be great to see you compete again before you retire.
#201 - August 31, 2012, 10:34:55 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

AZWildcat

You're not that far from my house. I can most certainly help you load and unload all of your gear. It might cost you a beer or 2 ( which you're certainly known to have on hand ) but I certainly do not mind. Let's do this Mike!
#202 - August 31, 2012, 10:57:04 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

I am sorry to hear that Mike. We can help you with anything you need at the Comp if you change your mind. I agree with Dan, Keep your stuff for comps around your area. If your final decision is not to cook, you should start Judging the events. You know how BBQ should be cooked and presented.
#203 - August 31, 2012, 10:58:22 am
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

AzQer

Mike if there is anything I can do to help let me know. I to will be flying almost solo this next comp as Dorothy is unable to make it So Curtis the owner of the hogpit will be coming with me. He is going to be dong the chicken for our team. It would be a shame to not see you at the compps as you have been in Az BBQ arena for many years. Hope to see ya soon my friend.
As far as the match ups goes Cowboy way is more then welcome to cook with us on the winning team.
#204 - August 31, 2012, 11:14:06 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Mike P in Tucson

Hey, thanks everyone.  I  probably won't decide for sure until we get back from Sedona on 9/5.  Will see how I feel then.  I really would like to continue competing (even though I don't seem to be showing any improvement :'( ).  It's just that yeasterday I was doing some work around the house, not even real physical work, and I got just dead tired :-[.  So started wondering if I should do solo comps.  I need one of those plush motor homes like some of you have. :D

Dan, thanks for the offer of helping load up.  I will let you know.  If I do, I guess it will be the evening of the 6th.  I will even get something other than Coors Light for you, if you want.

I do intend to try to judge.  It's just that I am not certified and there don't seem to be any classes before comps.

Thanks again, guys.

#205 - August 31, 2012, 12:17:14 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Mike, I hope you do decide to come to this event.  As everyone stated, I'm sure you won't have any problem getting help setting up and tearing down.

As for Judging, when you are ready, let me know and we will plan another class.  We will definitely do another one before the Havasu comp next year.

Have fun in Sedona.
#206 - August 31, 2012, 12:38:22 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AZWildcat

Coors light is good for me....
#207 - August 31, 2012, 12:58:00 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

145 grill

I am fine with 145 Grill going against Mike P. Since 145 Grill will be cooking for our side, we can have Cowboy way cook for you southerners against Swimmin in Smoke.

Be more than happy to cook for the North side or should I say winning side.
#208 - August 31, 2012, 01:50:17 pm
1-offset stick burner trailer
4-UDS
1-home offset
The hardest thing about smoking meat is keeping it lit.

AZWildcat

Be more than happy to cook for the North side or should I say winning side.
You are dead to me now Mike.... :-[  Can we have Cowboy Way?
#209 - August 31, 2012, 01:54:19 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

145 grill

You are dead to me now Mike.... :-[  Can we have Cowboy Way?

Sorry Dan, but its to hot in the South.  I like my home turf.
#210 - August 31, 2012, 01:58:16 pm
1-offset stick burner trailer
4-UDS
1-home offset
The hardest thing about smoking meat is keeping it lit.

Members: