AZ Barbeque.com

red beets

Discussion started on

jim

As we have the count down to Super Bowl I will give a recipe a day --- you may not know I have Czechoslovakia back ground and I'm from Pittsburgh, it's Monday and here's the first --
Red Beets --
1 can of pickled red beets -- chopped -- I use a hand operated food prosessor, not blended but small pieces.
3 green onions -- cut off the roots and and slice about half of the onion, just not all the stem
mix these together with sour cream , just enough to cover, add a little fresh pepper
Refigerate overnight --- enjoy as a side
jim
#1 - January 26, 2009, 09:41:44 am

toys4dlr

Hey Jim,

My family is from a Ukrainian back ground and from Pittsburgh.  Some where is their going to be a pierogi recipe???

#2 - January 26, 2009, 10:16:33 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

azkitch

That'd have to be posted Thurs or Fri., cuz you need all day Saturday for them!
How dy'a smoke em?  ???
#3 - January 26, 2009, 10:41:17 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jim

I have several copies of the Best of Pittsburgh food -- and yes to answer your question
jim
#4 - January 26, 2009, 10:47:46 am

BERNIETHEK

Now you've screwed up my whole day.  Being Polish I love pierogi's now I'll be thinking about them all day.  If your interested we buy them (way to hard to make) at a place called Touch of Europe.  It's in a shopping center just east of 51 on Greenway.  Also, they have all kinds of sausage.
#5 - January 26, 2009, 11:31:58 am
BERNIE

toys4dlr

They are a pain, but worth it when done right.  Like tamales, once you have the dough it is a filling line process.  A coulpe beers and the time goes by.

#6 - January 26, 2009, 12:17:17 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Tek465

How are they a pain to make? Maybe my grandmother was doing it wrong, but she could really crank'em out. (Tasted way better than Mrs. T's)

She'd press out sheets of dough with a pasta machine then use a pierogi maker that looked like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CF6FP

Thanks a lot, now I'm stuck with thinking about my grandmothers Borcht, pierogies, and kolachky. And my wife wants me to bring home Little Ceasars. :'(
#7 - January 26, 2009, 03:18:19 pm

toys4dlr

It was a pain, cause I do not have the cool press.  I have the little cheap plastic one. 
#8 - January 26, 2009, 03:54:00 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Members: