AZ Barbeque.com

Philly Cheesesteak

Discussion started on

BERNIETHEK

Am dying for a gooooood Philly Cheesesteak.  Talked with a butcher at Fry's about slicing
some rib eye very thin.  But he was a no go.  Any ideas.
#1 - January 22, 2009, 06:10:36 pm
BERNIE

kingbrutis

I have a meat slicer, so that makes things easier. Sam's club will cut a piece as thick as you want, for you to slice. If you dont have a slicer, get some flat iron steak and a sharp knife. Slice very thinly with the grain. The cut of meat is so tender, it makes for a great moist hoagie. Of corse, you cant get the good rolls out here, and that makes the cheesesteak. You also cant get the sweet peppers or the east coast cherry relish. But enough complaining.

I owned a cheesteak/pizza joint back east. We'd slice almost 500 lbs of ribeye in a 6 day week. Needless to say, I have a very nice tennis elbow. 
#2 - January 22, 2009, 06:52:22 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

force

Ah.. but you can get good sweet peppers out here at Romanellis Deli.........
#3 - January 22, 2009, 08:35:42 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Philly Cheesesteaks are great..  Sliced Rib Eye is great for these sandwiches, but sliced very thin.  Food slicer certainly helps in this situation.  If you don't have one, then an electric knife will also work.

Let me know when to come over Bernie, sounds like a great meal is being planned..
#4 - January 22, 2009, 09:12:38 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

BERNIETHEK

Hey kingbrutis.  Thanks for the info.  I lived in Philly for 3 years and sure do miss the food.  Now the BIG question for you is do you use "Cheese Wiz"?

Also, you stated "Slice very thinly with the grain"  I'm just checking the slicing with vs against the grain.  I will probably slightly freeze it before slicing.

Again,  Thanks
#5 - January 23, 2009, 09:05:15 am
BERNIE

bearbonez

Bernie. I make cheesesteaks at home. safeway butchers will slice the ribeye. i did have one apprentice ask me what a 2lbs shaved rib eye was. i told him"take 2 lbs of boneless ribeye. Set the slicer as thin as it goes, move the slide back and forth till you have 2lbs. put a price tag on it and i take it to the register...that's a shaved ribeye" I place on the griddle after a light coating of olive oil. a little kosher salt and pepper. chop it while its cooking. than i put down a generous helping of white american cheese till it's melted and worked through the steak and place it in a fresh baguette.
 You may want to look around for good italian steak/hoagie rolls. You all have some good italian bakeries I am sure.
#6 - January 23, 2009, 09:25:23 am
David "Bear" Nunley

toys4dlr

If you are close to an asian market, they usually have sliced Rib Eye and it is usually cheaper than the Mainstream stores.  A lot of the time it will be found wrapped and in the frozen section.  They also always carry the Flanken Short ribs, that would be great with Quiggs Marinade.

Yum,
#7 - January 23, 2009, 09:30:25 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

bearbonez

If you are close to an asian market, they usually have sliced Rib Eye and it is usually cheaper than the Mainstream stores.  A lot of the time it will be found wrapped and in the frozen section.  They also always carry the Flanken Short ribs, that would be great with Quiggs Marinade.

Yum,
That's right. in fact in Hawaii most stores had ribeye for sukiyaki already shaved down thin. And the flanked cut beef ribs are a must for making kalbi
#8 - January 23, 2009, 09:36:23 am
David "Bear" Nunley

toys4dlr

Asiana Market on 43rd Ave and Union Hills carries it in the frozen food section.

There is also an Asian Market (I can't remember the name right now) on the corner of Warner and Dobson (North East corner) that will probably carry it too.
#9 - January 23, 2009, 09:43:39 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

kingbrutis

Are you sure? Not the mezzertta kind. They need to be mostly green slices that are very crunchy.
Ah.. but you can get good sweet peppers out here at Romanellis Deli.........
#10 - January 23, 2009, 05:33:23 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

ddog27

This is a great idea for Superbowl eats! I am going to have to get some ribeyes sliced up!! ;D
#11 - January 23, 2009, 11:31:58 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

BERNIETHEK

THE ASIAN MARKET IN CHANDLER IS CALLED LEE'S AND IS ON THE NE CORNER.  WILL GO THERE AND CHECK IT OUT FOR THE RIB EYE.  ALL THIS TALK ABOUT CHEESESTEAK NOW I HAVE TO HAVE ONE SOON.
#12 - January 24, 2009, 08:57:48 am
BERNIE

force

It's their own peppers and they have great rolls... too.......
#13 - January 24, 2009, 10:25:00 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

kingbrutis

Going by in a few hours. I'm actually excited. Gona grab some sausage and give it a shot, before I commit and buy a bunch for superbowl. Oh yea, the best meat that god every created, Capicola.
It's their own peppers and they have great rolls... too.......
#14 - January 27, 2009, 10:11:00 am
KCBS Judge #53780

kingbrutis

So I went by today. Must say I am very impressed. Alot of the same brands and products I used at my restaurant. I got my sweet and cherry peppers. Picked up a hoagie, very good. Best I've had out here, by far. Roll was great. I must say, Force I think I met you at the Christmas party. Anyway, next time I see you, drinks are on me. I am greatfull.  ;)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but use those rolls on your cheesesteaks. I will 100% in the future.
#15 - January 27, 2009, 06:13:17 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

Members: