AZ Barbeque.com

Feijoada

Discussion started on

Mark

In New Orleans and around the Gulf, next Tuesday is Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday in French}. In Rio de Janeiro, it's called Carnival, roughly translated "farewell to meat" because its the start of Lent.

My favorite Brazilian dish is feijoada (fey-jo-atha), a long simmered stew of black beans and smoked meats. In Rio, they add salted spareribs that are as dry as jerky. Supermarkets have big barrels of them on display; no refrigeration needed. Feijoada is traditionally served with rice, shredded kale sauteed with garlic, sliced oranges and farofa made of manioc meal. Its purpose is to soak up the juices, much like mopping up sauce with a piece of bread. But if you're not used to it you'd think you just put sand in your food. :-X

The drink of choice is one of my favorites- a caipirinha, made with chachaca (pronounced ka-cha-sah) a Brazilian rum made from sugar cane juice, not molasses like true rum. You take a bunch of lime wedges, dump sugar on them and mash it around with a spoon. Add crushed ice and cachaca, then stir.

This year I'm going to make my feijoada with buckboard bacon. Here's an article to inspire you to try it for yourself!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203889904577199431405843076.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Popular

#1 - February 19, 2012, 11:27:36 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mike P in Tucson

That brings back memories of Rio, Mark.  Too many caipirinhas.  That cachasa is some kick butt stuff.
#2 - February 19, 2012, 01:29:50 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Mark

True. Caipirinhas will definitely sneak up on you as you sip this sweet, fresh lime drink. The crushing of the lime's skin releases fragrant oils that smell refreshing and mask the alcohol. You forget that you are drinking almost straight 80 proof stuff. ^-^ After a few you'll feel like you're dancing a samba, even if you're still sitting. O0

You never used to be able to find cachaca in Arizona. I'd have to bring back bottles from more international places like NYC, Miami and DC. I'd even fake my own using generic white rum and silver tequila. But now, Bevmo and Total Wine carry several brands. Even Seagram's bottles one that they call "Brazilian rum."

If you've never had it, grab a bottle. Its like discovering a whole new category of booze. It will definitely wake up your tastebuds. :P
#3 - February 19, 2012, 04:19:48 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mike P in Tucson

I used to get it at the Rum Runner here in Tucson.
#4 - February 19, 2012, 05:10:42 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Members: