AZ Barbeque.com

The Gym Grill and Bar

Discussion started on

The Gym 14

First of all I want to thank Mike and AZBarbeque for helping us get started in competing and just barbequing period. My name is Ken and I'm actually the brother-in-law of Frank R. who owns, sponsors, and is the head cheese of the team. Although we can eat with the best of em we had no real exp. till Avondales Ass Kickin BBQ Cook-Off. What an experience - from a relly enjoyable time we had there to meeting alot of great people. We are so gung-ho now to be in any and every event its unreal. I just wanted to take a minute and tell everyone thanks for the oppurtunity and let you know it is appreciated. We actually finnished 5th in brisket and 2nd in ribs - wow, makes me wonder if they gave it to us to hook us in. (lol) I have a question though, on the bad side our pork and chicken didn't fair so well, when we turn in our judges samples how should we turn it in, just the meat, bbq sauce on the side, or mix a little in. I have looked for answers on the internet and could not find any, any info You all have would be welcomed for future events.

The Gym Grill and Bar is located in Queen Creek AZ with 2 new opening in Glendale (1 block fom football stadium)  and Casa Grande, will have web site up and running soon. Hopefully you will all come by some time and try it out, (we had to have an excuse to buy smoker so we are now adding smoked food on menu) and would love to have your honest opinions. As long as you dont beat us in any events discounts may be avail. (lol)

Good luck to all and we can't wait to see you all at future events.
#1 - March 09, 2008, 05:23:15 am
Ken Hinton

Thom Emery

Nice talking to you guys on the phone
You will have a great time at Stagecoach
#2 - March 09, 2008, 06:40:25 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Ken, thanks for the kind words, glad we were able to help you all out and get you hooked.  We look forward to seeing you and your team out at many more cook-offs and events.

I can't wait to stop by your place by the Cardinal's stadium.  I just renewed my season tickets for this season, so we will be stopping by I'm sure.

Welcome to the site, hope you all enjoy all it has to offer.  ;)
#3 - March 09, 2008, 07:41:41 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

bearbonez

Welcome to the board Ken. Glad to see the BBQ bug has bitten another victim.
To answer your question about the turn ins. No sauce on the side is the biggest no-no. Sauce must be cooked on (allow 30-45 minutes for sauce/mop/glaze, etc to cook on. 15 minutes if finishing using grilling methods.)  The rules for IBCA are pretty strict about no pools of sauce or last minute application. KCBS doesn't state so clearly about that, but meat swimming in a sauce will not be favorable among the judges.
#4 - March 09, 2008, 08:11:30 am
David "Bear" Nunley

TOPS BBQ

Ken, welcome to a whole new madness! >:D  Glad to see newbies coming in.  FYI - No pools of sauce or sides of sauce in boxes for KCBS or IBCA.  Although IBCA does specify that the sauce has to be cooked on as well as not pasted on thick.  Every sanctioning body has various rules.  To learn more about them, visit their respective websites for rules.

Good luck!
#5 - March 10, 2008, 10:27:18 pm
www.TOPS-BBQ.com
www.myspace.com/TOPSBBQ

FAT 50 Ultra
A whole sleuth of homemade grills and smokers

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!

Thom Emery

Also depends on who is the Head Judge
That guy from Indio is easy to trick on the wet side
#6 - March 11, 2008, 06:17:21 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

2ks smokn

OK, so obviously an MU fan. Are you from MO, if so where abouts? My wife and I came from the St. Louis area. Always like to see a fellow Midwesterner get addicted to the smoke!! Welcome.
#7 - March 11, 2008, 07:50:48 pm

ddog27

Where is the Gym Bar and Grill located at in Queen Creek? I live out there and would like to stop by!
#8 - March 20, 2008, 02:14:06 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

Members: