AZ Barbeque.com

New Phoenix Member

Discussion started on

Smoker Man

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.  Looking forward to getting to know you guys, adjust my bbq techniques and share what I've stumbled on.  I'm back on Atkins Diet so need to get the Weber SMS fired up and cook some butt STAT.  I have two ready to go tomorrow on my day off.  Probably use Oak & Apple, two of my favorite woods for pulled pork.

Piggies need pulled, it's a fact. My New Year Resolution is to eat more pig.
#16 - December 28, 2009, 10:11:37 pm

azkitch

Have ya tried pecan? Incredible.
#17 - December 28, 2009, 11:34:08 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

You can even throw pecan shells on the fire. Rosemary, whole onions; whatever non-resinous material smokes without poisoning you. ;) I just had some of my bacon that I recently smoked over almond wood and grapevine. It was fabulous!. I took it out of the freezer, still frozen, and it cut thinner and nicer than ever before! Of course I had to wait a couple of days for the grooves in my palm from the back of the knife to recede, but hey, it was for the pursuit of bacon, so it's all okay! ;D
#18 - December 29, 2009, 05:20:57 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

O-Bear

From one Newbie to another...pleased to meet ya!

In following the train of thought regarding the use of pecan, these guys are all too correct. However, if you really want to try something new and gutsy...go Slavic! Try przyprawa do mies wiep rozwych (traditional pork seasoning from the earth)

1 T ground marjoram (do not sacrifice with oregano)
1 t paprika
1 t ground caraway
1 t ground sage
1 t garlic powder
2 t ground black pepper
2 t onion powder

Next, since you like oak, try using chipped wood from a beer keg, or from a wine barrel with this mix. This blend is also great with bigos, bacon, breaded pork chops, and meat loaf.  If your pork butt is going to be sliced, serve with a light splash of fig vinegar. If pulled, serve with apricot chutney. Yes - we Poles love our brine and earthy tastes.

It won't help you speak the language, but it might earn you some bragging points!
#19 - December 29, 2009, 06:30:11 pm

Mark

Sounds good and different from the same old, same old. Hop you make it for one of our events! :P
#20 - December 29, 2009, 06:34:38 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: