AZ Barbeque.com

NEW MEMBER- WHOLE PIG

Discussion started on

chrislamarque1

WHATS UP YALL, MY NAME IS CHRIS AND I LIVE IN KY. NOT A BIG BBQ HOTSPOT ESPECIALLY IN MY AREA. SO IM TRYIN TO INTRODUCE PEOPLE I KNOW TO BBQ NORTH CAROLINA STYLE, CAUSE THATS ORIGINALLY WHERE IM FROM. BUT IVE NEVER PERSONALLY DONE IT. BUT IM PRETTY GOOD AT BUTTS, RIBS AND BRISKETS. I TALKED MY WIFE INTO LETTIN ME COOK A PIG FOR OUR ANNIVERSARY PARTY. I ORDERED A HUNDRED POUND DRESSED PIG AND PLAN ON SMOKING IT ON A PIT I MADE FROM 15" BLOCKS. ITS TWO HIGH AND FIVE BY THREE FOOT. SOME THINGS THAT HAS ME STUMPED IS HOW MUCH WOOD CHUNKS AND CHARCOAL TO USE, HOW TO COVER THE PIG WHILE ITS COOKING, AND PREP AND COOK TIMES. I AM ALSO DOING THIS ON A LIMITED BUDGET.  ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS FOR READING, CHRIS
#1 - June 16, 2009, 02:28:24 pm

force

Hi Chris and welcome

we have a thread on smoking pigs.. check it out....... and be sure to share your expertise with the members on the forum........ hoo ah
#2 - June 16, 2009, 02:47:45 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

azkitch

You've come to the right place. I'm sure our members will be along with help shortly.  What kind of hardwood is available in your area?? I'd guess oak, hickory & pecan are all pretty EZ to come by. When is this all happenin'?
kitch
#3 - June 16, 2009, 02:50:30 pm
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:49:07 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Quiggs

Welcome Chris, be sure to post pic's of your finished product for us to drool over!
#4 - June 16, 2009, 03:02:33 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome once again Chris, great to have you. Glad you found us.

We have a great site here with lots of great members and info, if you don't see something you are looking for, post up a new topic and I'm sure you will get lots of great responses.

I look forward to seeing you online here and hope to meet you eventually out at some of our great events..

WELCOME!!
#5 - June 16, 2009, 03:08:28 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crash

Welcome to the site Chris.  Great to have you here.
#6 - June 16, 2009, 03:26:27 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

bearbonez

Welcome aboard. Check out this thread on smoking a whole hog   http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bbq-discussion/smoke-a-pig/
#7 - June 17, 2009, 08:39:15 am
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:43:04 am by bearbonez »
David "Bear" Nunley

desertdog

Sounds like you are doing it similar to how we did one down at the Annual Tucson Pig Roast:

Burp!

#8 - June 17, 2009, 02:44:56 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

chrislamarque1

Thanks for the smokin welcome and great comments/pics! Our party is this saturday(june20th) and im gonna start prep friday morning. I made the mistake of ordering my pig without the head, tryin to save the squeemish who haven't seen the pig pickin done before. Live and learn! Anyway, I got a good deal on some oak, and I have a big bag of hickory chunks and a few bags of apple wood. My pit is two blocks high but I noticed the pit in the pics is taller. Should I make mine a little taller or will mine be enough? Thanks again, and I already love the site!
#9 - June 17, 2009, 03:39:27 pm

force

I've seen the bottom of the glass before............
#10 - June 17, 2009, 05:27:05 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

PAT YOUNG

3 BLOCKS HIGH IS SOMEWHAT TRADITIONAL FOR THAT STYLE OF SET-UP!
#11 - June 18, 2009, 02:38:59 am

desertdog

Low and Slow, the further away from the fire, the lower the temp.  I think we did 4 high, and I believe it took 6-7 hours.  Have to ask Mike from Tucson what the temp was, he was the Temp Master for that pig.  (Pig was injected the night before)
#12 - June 18, 2009, 06:53:16 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

azchoctaw1

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue'
Let's get some hog and Welcome to Smoke Um,
Azchoctaw1
#13 - June 18, 2009, 06:06:57 pm
Middle name "Elijah" means "God of Fire" that is why I BBQ!!!!!!

AzQer

Welcome to the frey. Man dean you and your pics I love them
#14 - June 19, 2009, 10:38:56 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

chrislamarque1

I've ended up with three high, but the pigs on the second. I didnt butterfly mine, sewed it up with some apple juice, pineapples, apples, onions and garlic. All that with a good rub and some stubbs moppin sauce(love that stuff). As a matter of fact its on right now for the fifth hour! Got my coals lined up on the sides for indirect heat. Not sure how long it'll take but im pushin it til tomorrow!
#15 - June 19, 2009, 05:35:17 pm

Members: