AZ Barbeque.com

New In Phoenix

Discussion started on

AZ Kookala

Hi all :)  I'm NOT the every day griller in my family, that's my husband, I just do the ribs, big cuts of beef, chickens and whole hogs :)  Hubby built me a large pit for the pigs after he got tired of hearing me complain about the rental fees and I do a pig or two usually every summer for about 300 people.  My ribs are ok because I don't have an enclosed pit to slow cook them (I currently foil wrap them and slow bake them and finish them on the grill, but my sauce is really unique because I start with homemade wild huckleberry jam and use wasabi to give it kick.  I really want a smoker now and that's why I'm here, to get advice on what my best bet would be.  I like cooking with pecan for flavor and ruby red grapefruit for my coal bed. 
Oh!  I almost forgot, has anyone here done a haunch of beef?  I was thinking of getting away from the pig and brisket this year because I really want to try a big chunk of beef.  I can't do a whole steer, I just don't have the set-up and I can't bury it because we live in (own) an apartment complex.  Also I want to try the Argentinian asado style lamb.  I know I can fit a whole lamb on my rotisserie and I could have my husband build a cage pretty easily but does it get dry because it's so lean?   Any advice on those three things would be greatly appreciated.  Looking forward to chatting with you all! 
#1 - March 21, 2013, 08:22:03 pm

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

Welcome to the site. It sounds like you could use multiple style pits. I am sure some other members would be able to suggest some great smokers for you to use. I have a Lang stick burner that I smoke my large meats on.
BBQ island by Ikea also has several style smokers that you could look at.
#2 - March 21, 2013, 09:05:29 pm
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

AZ Kookala

This is what happens when your over exuberant (ie ` drunken) friends keep chucking wood under a 160 lb pig and you don't have the foresight to have a coal bin nearby.  Yes, it hurts.  No, you will not have much hair left.  

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/284290_1921697477784_5516673_n.jpg
#3 - March 22, 2013, 09:33:38 pm
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:59:06 pm by Mike (AZBarbeque) »

AZ Kookala

:o the pic isn't showing up and I'm not familiar enough w/ this site to delete the post yet :(
#4 - March 22, 2013, 09:36:58 pm

BBQCZAR

Welcome to the site  :)
#5 - March 23, 2013, 10:50:57 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Mike (AZBarbeque)

:o the pic isn't showing up and I'm not familiar enough w/ this site to delete the post yet :(

Welcome to the site, great to have you here.  I fixed the link for you, you forgot the "H" on the beginning.

Look forward to seeing you online here and hope to meet you soon out at some of our great upcoming events.
#6 - March 25, 2013, 11:59:54 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome and enjoy the site
#7 - March 27, 2013, 12:27:53 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Smoke Signals

Not really sure how this is supposed to work. I missed the "social media for dummies class" again. My wife and I have come back to Arizona after a 4 year absence. We were in OK and MA for the last few years helping our son and his wife with the grandsons. Both our son and his wife are in the service and with their jobs, they were often deployed to different locations at the same time. That meant sending the kids to us or the other grandparents, interrupting school and generally being a pain. So, for 4 years we got to help the kids and get to know the grandsons. They are now 8 and 5 years old and we were very blessed to be able to do what we did. But, it is GREAT to be back in Arizona. We are looking forward to attending some BBQ events and meeting people who share a love for grilling, barbecuing and smoking. Look forward to meeting y'all.
#8 - March 28, 2013, 04:18:05 pm
Smoke Signals

IRONHORSE BBQ

Welcome Nichol glad you found us here and enjoy the site.
#9 - March 28, 2013, 10:14:27 pm

AZ Kookala

Thanks Mike :D  It's a pleasure to meet all of you! 

#10 - March 29, 2013, 11:20:50 pm

Crash

Welcome, great to have you here.
#11 - April 07, 2013, 03:30:19 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Members: