AZ Barbeque.com

New Guy up North

Discussion started on

WagYu-r Tail

Hey all,

I'm Ryan and I am stoked to be the newest member in this society of smokers/grillers/chefs!  My background has been classical cooking styles with strong Asian influences in my professional career, but my love has always been BBQ.  I can work around the finest foods all day, but not eat a thing, because I know I have two racks of ribs on their 10th hour of smoke at home just waiting for me to dare to take them out without falling off the bone.  I am a purist by nature, and love my Weber, and my Egg.  I feel at home behind the grill, and absolutely break into a sweat if anyone takes a stand behind my setup. 

Can't wait to absorb some new and great ideas from the wealth of wisdom here.  Currently looking for a new rub suggestion for a Kobe Tri-Tip that is begging to be treated right. 

Look forward to seeing you all out and about, and can't wait for grilling season to kick in full force!

#1 - February 24, 2012, 06:57:21 pm

Mark

Welcome, Ryan. I've never seen a wagyu tri-tip in the flesh, but the marbling on it has got to be a thing of beauty. :P
#2 - February 24, 2012, 11:14:02 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Crash

Welcome Ryan, nice to have you here.  Sounds like you have a lot to offer to all of us. 

Post up some of your awesome recipes when you get the time.
#3 - February 25, 2012, 02:19:36 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

azkitch

Like Mark said--waygu tri-tip has got to be something to behold! Take some pics, please!
Are you up north, like Happy Valley Road, Anthem, or Flagstaff? Welcome to the family!
#4 - February 25, 2012, 11:03:03 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome aboard Ryan. Enjoy the site
#5 - February 25, 2012, 11:39:29 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

WagYu-r Tail

Thanks guys.  I'm at the 101 & 51. I'm including a few photos of the Wagyu Tri-tip in it's original packaging.  I'm debating on whether to toast the seeds of my whole seed dry-rub, or let it stay less pungent and aromatic so as not to overpower the beef.  Also, if anyone has had experience with the tri-tips with the white-fat marbling, I am also interested to know if I should allow it to cook to 135, or let it cook awhile longer due to the type of marbling and flavor released with further cooking.  I would prefer it almost blue-rare, but think it might be beneficial to the meat itself to raise the internal temp just a touch, so as to release more flavor throughout.  Any ideas would be very much appreciated.  It's going in the Egg this Saturday.
#6 - February 27, 2012, 11:39:58 am
Attachments:

RudedoggAZ

Hey Ryan,

Welcome to the site... Looks like we are neighbors. I'm on Union Hills and 38th street. Anyway, about the tri tip... Looks great! Only thing I have to say is to if you are cooking to 135-140 degrees make sure and let it rest under foil for a good 15-30mins. (I'm sure you probably knew that but figured I would throw it out)

Chris
#7 - February 27, 2012, 02:18:14 pm

IRONHORSE BBQ

Welcome Ryan grate you found the site enjoy it and again welcome.

Marv
#8 - February 27, 2012, 09:49:47 pm

route66

That Aussie AG meat looks like a winner. I have used it on a few caterings and the steaks were well received. Have you ever tried their Greg Norman Signature? I haven't found clients that want to spring for the extra price and always choose the Aussie AG 13 at best. I can't wait to  see how your cook goes.
#9 - February 28, 2012, 12:03:50 am

FIREANDDESIRE

Welcome Ryan

#10 - May 13, 2012, 01:12:04 am

Send this topic Print

Members: