AZ Barbeque.com

Hey from Tucson

Discussion started on

RBChallenger

Welcome to the Club Richard fellow Tucsonan here, Which area you live in Im out east myself. pull up a log and enjoy the club gonna be getting some more things down here very soon so get ready.
I am on the Southeast side. Would definitely be up for events or get togethers. Looking forward to it!!!
#16 - October 13, 2009, 05:04:06 pm
Regards,
Rich

RBChallenger

P.S. Brisket just plain ol' takes longer. You have to wait a long time thru transition, where it keeps absorbing the heat but doesn't get hotter--around 140--called Plateau; I was having a senior moment there. Then pull and wrap in foil around 165-170, (zat right, guys?), back on til about 190-195 for tender and slice-able. Most people toss some drippings in the foil to keep the meat moist. And you can find help in getting your smoker easier or more dependable to run, too. Is it a Brinkmann R2D2 type? There was another brand too...Char Broil i think made one.
Actually it is some sort of BBQ Pro R2D2 style smoker that I got at Sears for <$50 one day on a whim. At the time I didn't know how addicted I would become. Smoking some sort of meat is an every weekend, almost every weekend anyway, occurrence for me now. When we move to our new place I had planned on seriously looking into a Traeger (I'm sure someone here thinks that is cheating... right).

As far as the briket goes, that is exactly what I did last time, I was pumped because it hit all the temparature points just as I expected. At 170 I wrapped it in foil and poured a bit of beer in the bottom for moisture. Took it off at 190 and sat it in a cooler for a bit to rest. Look beautiful, smelled beautiful and tasted great... just wasn't tender for whatever reason. Maybe it got too hot at some point? I have been using the thermometer on the smoker and I know it is not very accurate at all.
#17 - October 13, 2009, 05:09:37 pm
Regards,
Rich

AzJohnnyC

Of course we all think Traegers are cheating. Even the guys cooking on them. But the rest of us are truly just jealous at all the sleep they're getting. Actually, smoking is smoking, no matter what you're using. Enjoy it for what it is, not what others tell you they think it is.
#18 - October 13, 2009, 06:34:57 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

AzQer

Richard Im around golflinks and Kolb area. As far as tender brisket take your temp a little higher around 195 or try the fork test where you insert a fork try twisting and see how tender that way. Just a few ideas
#19 - October 13, 2009, 06:58:40 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Mike (AZBarbeque)

It's the things that happen after these cooks go to sleep that make the pictures so good...  >:D
#20 - October 13, 2009, 07:02:44 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mr.Bo

It's the things that happen after these cooks go to sleep that make the pictures so good...  Evil

LOL I can attest to that!  :-X
Welcome to the site Richard. You're going to like it here.
#21 - October 13, 2009, 10:18:54 pm
BBQ Grillware vertical gas smoker
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Crash

Welcome, great to have you here.
#22 - October 13, 2009, 11:26:45 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Grill Sergeant

Welcome Richard, Good to have someone else from Tucson on board.
#23 - October 14, 2009, 07:35:13 am
Ted
2 Pro Ques
1 UDS
2 Team Traegers
1 Country Smoker 680

ddog27

WELCOME!!
#24 - November 23, 2009, 12:54:52 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com