AZ Barbeque.com

Hello from Iowa!

Discussion started on

yanni

Hi All,

Just jumping in to the competition scene here in Iowa.  Did an unsanctioned event last year and placed pretty well given the amount and quality of regular competitors.  Just finished up my first sanctioned event in Mason City, Iowa this weekend and got thoroughly pummelled.  Not to mention, quite a welcome with a major humid weather turning to a severe storm that night showering us with buckets of rain and 70 mph winds.  A bit of a downer, considering I thought I submitted some pretty solid stuff, but that's the way things go I guess.  Will be spending my time researching current competition processes and hopefully will see some improvement before my next event in a month. 

A bit about myself.  I love BBQ and I love making it even more. In high school, I had the application for the Culinary Institute of America filled out and ready to send and start my Chef career.  Decided at the last minute that family, evenings, weekends, and holidays were more important to me than work.  I cook for my 3 boys and wife now.  Always took pride in my BBQ product and tried my best to make it competition quality just for my family.  Have been reviewing sites like this one for years to pick out the tips and tricks to do things just right.  My family talked me into entering a local unsanctioned event last year.  I had a great time.  I am into it all the way at this point.  Finding that it's not a cheap hobby!   ;) 

So here we are.  Competing as JT's Smokewagon BBQ Team.  Cooking on a single large BGE and a handfull of cheap smokers slightly modified.  Hopeful that I'll improve and catch lightning in a bottle.  Without a doubt, this hobby really strikes right to the heart of that Chef bug that I've been bitten by for several years.  I just love making something good and having people recognize that.  Looking forward to chatting with all of you and making some new friends along the way.  After all, I found this weekend that there is nothing better than the people I was camped with.  Sitting, talking, watching the kids play at the park, and waking up at 5:30 am with the sun barely peeking out, head cooks milling about their site, and smoke billowing in preparation for ribs and chicken. 

All the best to you all! 

Jon T. 
#1 - July 25, 2010, 03:58:47 pm

birdie64

Where are you in Iowa?  I am in the Quad Cities.   Dennis Marker
#2 - July 25, 2010, 06:00:10 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Jon, WELCOME to the site/club, great to see you posting and great to have you here.

Sounds like you have the BBQ Addiction like many of us on here do as well.

If you get a chance, post up some pictures of your cookers, food and of your events, we LOVE pictures here.

Enjoy the site, hope to meet you soon on the BBQ Trail.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#3 - July 25, 2010, 06:06:15 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

RudedoggAZ

Welcome!
#4 - July 25, 2010, 07:14:14 pm

azkitch

Glad you came on. This is a wonderful forum. And my DW is from Clinton. And Dennis, I hadn't heard that you left! Are you a winter visitor? DWs aunt, uncle and brother are all in Davenport. Eat some Boetje's mustard for me!
#5 - July 25, 2010, 08:18:46 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Crash

Welcome Jon.
#6 - July 25, 2010, 08:22:19 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

birdie64

Phoenix Nov-Mar,  Hampton, IL April-Oct   BBQ Jan-Dec!!
#7 - July 25, 2010, 08:32:04 pm

yanni

Thanks all for the welcome!  The personal touch on here is great! 

Dennis, I'm in Slater, just north of Des Moines about half hour and 10 minutes from Ames. You on the Iowa or Illinois side?  I work for an insurance company based out of Rock Island called Bituminous Insurance.  Love the area over there.  My wife grew up in Quincy Illinois just down the river from you a few hours.  Do you compete around here or stick to it down south?  Look forward to bringing a beverage or two over to your site some time.   :)
#8 - July 26, 2010, 09:23:06 pm

yanni

Where are you in Iowa?  I am in the Quad Cities.   Dennis Marker

Dennis, I'm in Slater, just north of Des Moines about half hour and 10 minutes from Ames. You on the Iowa or Illinois side?  I work for an insurance company based out of Rock Island called Bituminous Insurance.  Love the area over there.  My wife grew up in Quincy Illinois just down the river from you a few hours.  Do you compete around here or stick to it down south?  Look forward to bringing a beverage or two over to your site some time.   
#9 - July 26, 2010, 09:24:27 pm

birdie64

I am in Hampton, IL, exit #1 on I-80.  I did my first and only contest in Shannon, IL earlier this month.  I am doing my second ever contest Sept. 10th in Quincy, IL.
#10 - July 27, 2010, 05:42:35 am

glenntm

Welcome Jon...
#11 - July 27, 2010, 05:44:20 am

yanni

That's fun.  I'll be in Quincy for the Smoke on the River event as well.  Look me up down there.  Competing as JT's Smokewagon.  Nice to meet you on line! 

I am in Hampton, IL, exit #1 on I-80.  I did my first and only contest in Shannon, IL earlier this month.  I am doing my second ever contest Sept. 10th in Quincy, IL.
#12 - July 29, 2010, 08:58:30 pm

Sagizona

Hey Jon,
I saw your post and when I read Iowa, i thought no way.  But yes, I'm actually from Mason City, and I even went back and competed with a buddy at the competition in Mason.  His team is The Q Crew, we came in first in "Anything Butt".  You're right, the storms that came through were horrendus!!  Rich Davis and I were holding the canopies as the storms passed through, crazy!! 

Well, hopefully we'll see you in AZ at some point!  Take Care!
Matt
#13 - August 14, 2010, 11:02:24 pm

Mark

Welcome! We're always interested in out-of-state cooking styles. Post some pix, too. We understand you Iowa folks raise a hog or two. ;)
#14 - August 15, 2010, 02:29:00 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

Welcome! We're always interested in out-of-state cooking styles. Post some pix, too. We understand you Iowa folks raise a hog or two. ;)

But a lot of them have moved out here since then... :D
JUST KIDDING!
#15 - August 15, 2010, 06:51:54 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: