AZ Barbeque.com

Hello Everyone!

Discussion started on

Captain BBQ

My name is Rob and I am obviously new to the site.  I stumbled onto this site because I have been a religious reviewer of Martin's BBQ Joint blog (definitely worth the time to read if you haven't) as I have been looking to hone my passion for BBQ into a more serious pursuit.  I don't have a lot of professional or competition experience, but I do have a lot of hours in front of a pit smoking just about anything I can get my hands on.  I am originally from St. Louis, MO where I learned to BBQ, but have been in Phoenix for the last 3 years. I am looking forward to making some new friends and learning from others.
#1 - August 02, 2009, 10:33:22 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome once again to the site Rob, great to have you.  Glad that you found us.  We do have a great group of BBQers here and we have lots of fun, both online here as well as out at all of our events.

We certainly look forward to hearing about your BBQ Exploits and meeting you out at lots of our upcoming events.

Jump on in and enjoy the site and all it has to offer. 

WELCOME!!

Mike
#2 - August 02, 2009, 11:48:16 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

Lots of good things going on through this site. Gatherings, competitions, charity and service work. From which part of town do you hail, and what do ya cook on? There's a post for photos of your pits and grills...
Welcome, and I hope you enjoy yourself.
#3 - August 02, 2009, 12:43:05 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

toys4dlr

Welcome, hope to see you at some events soon.
#4 - August 02, 2009, 02:21:57 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Captain BBQ

Thanks for the great welcome everyone!  Still figuring out how the site works, but to respond to one of the replies.  I hail from North Phoenix a little north of I-17 and Happy Valley.  I have a real love for my Weber Kettle, which is what I use.  Nothing fancy, just basic and a small scale.  One of the things that brought me to this site was my desire to find a smoker trailer that is smaller, but that I could expand out on and practice my skills.  I have seen a lot of sites where you can buy them brand new, but I was looking for something used to cut my teeth on before I make a big investment.  Also, I was looking for a trailer that is in the area.  Most of the ones I have found have been in TX or somewhere in the midwest. 

Rob
#5 - August 02, 2009, 04:02:52 pm

AzJohnnyC

Welcome to the site, Rob. Just a little warning, I had a love for my Weber kettle when I joined up here, now I have a Brinkmann SNP that gets quite a bit of use. And I may get something bigger and badder in the future. These people here will get you hooked! It's a great addiction, though.
#6 - August 03, 2009, 12:11:25 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

smitty250

Welcome Rob.
#7 - August 03, 2009, 12:16:32 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

RudedoggAZ

Welcome!
#8 - August 03, 2009, 02:00:23 pm

KidCurry

Welcome Rob!  
#9 - August 03, 2009, 02:01:33 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

AzQer

Welcome
#10 - August 03, 2009, 03:20:04 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

olivesmoker

Welcome Rob.  You know the bad thing is you always need another smoker!!!!!!
#11 - August 03, 2009, 03:55:23 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

toys4dlr

Hello Rob,

As far as the smoker, you have to be more specific for any good help.  Towable or backyard, stick buriner or open to other options.  What size are you thinking and for want uses.  Just for friends and family, cooking a whole pig, etc.  Looking to compete later or just have fun in the backyard.

I too am way up north, up in Anthem. 
#12 - August 03, 2009, 04:23:15 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Captain BBQ

All good questions.  I would like something towable.  I am open to all options as this will be my first one.  I was looking to have some fun on it as I begin to practice on a new type of smoker.  Eventually, I may get serious and want to do competition or event catering, but I plan to upgrade before I get into that.  My wife and I like to entertain, so I would like the option of doing more meat than I can fit on one weber kettle for parties, camping, etc.  If you have any advice, it owuld be much appreciated!
#13 - August 04, 2009, 06:15:52 pm

toys4dlr

I guess now Budget is the question.  If I were looking at a stick burner that is reasonably priced, I think I would look at the Diamond plates. Mike R here on this site sells them and others here have them and could show you some tricks.  They have a size to fit any needs. 

Now if money is no object, take a look at the Geer Pit that Jay just got, man that thing rocks. 
#14 - August 04, 2009, 06:23:02 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Captain BBQ

The diamond plate ones look good in the pictures.  A the end of the year I was hoping to put around $1k-2k into something used.  I found a rotiserie smoker made by Mule tuf smokers in Mo, but I was not sure about the rotiserie option.  I would like it to have a place to carry the wood.  It also seems to make sense to have the firebox extend the full length of the barrel rather than on the side.  Any thoughts on that issue?
#15 - August 04, 2009, 06:44:50 pm

Members: