AZ Barbeque.com

BBQ in Williams Arizona this summer of 2010

Discussion started on

countryheartaz

Howdy Ya'll !!!

I am a fellow BBQ'er from Missouri that has transplanted out west to Williams, AZ. What brought me here? Well, my EX moved here in 06 with my son who was 10. He is now 13 and growing like a weed. For the past few years I worked at the local True Value Hardware and Lumberyard, but this past year I opened an Old Time Photo Shop here in Williams. I have enjoyed my summer and kept very busy. BUT, as a businessman I see so many oppertunities to bring in business to our sleepy little town. This year we are pleased to have the HOG RALLY back in Williams in June. We have a great car show every year in August and the Grand Canyon Railroad is always having things going on.

I started my BBQ career back in Missouri when I owned a little hometown diner in Barnard, MO. I went to some local competitions like the county fair and such and really enjoyed myself so I just JUMPED right in and went to the "American Royal BBQ contest" We Q'ed under the name Joe's Diner and did okay and our last year I think it was out of 6 years we Q's as the "Cowboy Q" and our ribs tied for 10th out of approx 500 teams and our baked beans got a 5th place...I was shocked and excited!!! We started out with Weber grills and moved to a little brinks smoker and then Dad and I built a smoker. Dad is a welder by trade. We found an old Stainless "MEALS on WHEELS cart that held 3 sections of trays. We used the tray racks to place the grills on and MAN can you get a lot of brisket in this thing. We put it on a fire box that is about 5 foot long and has a 2x2 square box with a door in the end. It will hold a nice size tree if you wish to put it in there.
the opening it 12" and the exit vent is a 4" stack. We divided off one section as a cool smoke or a warming area. It works good for good weather, but if it is cold I need to use a warming blanket so some day I hope to insulate it.

I am working with the Main street group to get the BBQ contest started here in Williams and will be talking to the chamber soon!
My hopes are to have you fine folks work with me to get something started here in Williams that can grow and grow and give folks a place to go when everywhere  else is hot this summer.
Hope to hear from you all soon!
Chuck
#1 - November 13, 2009, 11:07:52 am
Cowboy "Q"

AzJohnnyC

Welcome Chuck. I think I speak for alot of us here in Phoenix when I say that we love heading up north in the summer. A competition is a great way to attract a crowd, for sure. Keep working on things, Mike will be in touch with you I'm sure. It may be a little quiet on the site here this weekend, as most of us are going to the competition. Glad you found us, welcome again.
#2 - November 13, 2009, 11:55:57 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

jmcrig

Chuck, welcome to the board. I grew up in St. Joseph, MO, and now live in Gilbert, AZ working in San Antonio. Don't ask.We have a pretty great group here. There's a group of members in Flagstaff. You may not get alot of responses this weekend as there's a big cookoff in Sun City. I'm sure after this weekend, Mike will get with you about your event. If you can, you should try to get down to the Valley for this event. The three top KCBS teams are here to decide who's the big dog this year.
#3 - November 13, 2009, 12:03:03 pm

azkitch

But if you can't make this event, the next one is December 4,5--or whatever Friday, Saturday are.
Glad you've joined us. It's a blast. Did you see the list of teams here for the cookoff?? First, second and Third in KCBS Team of Year teams are here, along with Pork Pullin Plowboys, the American Royal Invitational winners. And a couple other teams from the top 20. Amazing. Mike's done incredible stuff.
#4 - November 13, 2009, 03:50:03 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

n2dabluebbq

welcome to the forum. lots of real down home nice folks around here.
#5 - November 13, 2009, 06:25:16 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Crash

Welcome Chuck.  Sounds like a great idea and I know a lot of us would be interested.  Keep us posted.
#6 - November 14, 2009, 08:18:35 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

The Smokin Shanty

welcome Chuck....great group of guys here.
#7 - November 15, 2009, 03:33:26 pm
Kingsford grill
UDS
Pro Q excel 20
Charbroil offset

Thom Emery

Howdy Ya'll !!!

I am a fellow BBQ'er from Missouri that has transplanted out west to Williams, AZ. What brought me here? Well, my EX moved here in 06 with my son who was 10. He is now 13 and growing like a weed. For the past few years I worked at the local True Value Hardware and Lumberyard, but this past year I opened an Old Time Photo Shop here in Williams. I have enjoyed my summer and kept very busy. BUT, as a businessman I see so many oppertunities to bring in business to our sleepy little town. This year we are pleased to have the HOG RALLY back in Williams in June. We have a great car show every year in August and the Grand Canyon Railroad is always having things going on.

I started my BBQ career back in Missouri when I owned a little hometown diner in Barnard, MO. I went to some local competitions like the county fair and such and really enjoyed myself so I just JUMPED right in and went to the "American Royal BBQ contest" We Q'ed under the name Joe's Diner and did okay and our last year I think it was out of 6 years we Q's as the "Cowboy Q" and our ribs tied for 10th out of approx 500 teams and our baked beans got a 5th place...I was shocked and excited!!! We started out with Weber grills and moved to a little brinks smoker and then Dad and I built a smoker. Dad is a welder by trade. We found an old Stainless "MEALS on WHEELS cart that held 3 sections of trays. We used the tray racks to place the grills on and MAN can you get a lot of brisket in this thing. We put it on a fire box that is about 5 foot long and has a 2x2 square box with a door in the end. It will hold a nice size tree if you wish to put it in there.
the opening it 12" and the exit vent is a 4" stack. We divided off one section as a cool smoke or a warming area. It works good for good weather, but if it is cold I need to use a warming blanket so some day I hope to insulate it.

I am working with the Main street group to get the BBQ contest started here in Williams and will be talking to the chamber soon!
My hopes are to have you fine folks work with me to get something started here in Williams that can grow and grow and give folks a place to go when everywhere  else is hot this summer.
Hope to hear from you all soon!
Chuck

Chuck If you have any questions just ask
We would love to cook a Summer event in Williams
#8 - November 15, 2009, 03:44:55 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome to the site Chuck, great to have you here.  We do have a great group of BBQers here and have some very fun events. 

Would love to talk with you and your group about coming up to put on a BBQ competition in Williams.

Enjoy the site.

Welcome..

Mike
#9 - November 15, 2009, 04:42:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

olivesmoker

Welcome Chuck. We would love to come up to Williams and get out of the 120 + heat in Lake Havasu.  So is there any pics of that smoker laying around to post?
#10 - November 15, 2009, 07:03:29 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

smitty250

Welcome Chuck - a summer event in Williams sounds great. let's get on that!!
#11 - November 16, 2009, 10:40:50 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

AzQer

Welcome Chuck Williams sounds goodin the Summer
#12 - November 18, 2009, 12:09:49 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com