AZ Barbeque.com

BBQ Enthusiast - New to Board

Discussion started on

jrod667

Hi, I'm new to the boards. I was born and raised in Mesa. I'm in my mid-20s. I own my own sign company (banners, vehicle graphics, building signs, monument signs, etc.). I started it about 2 years ago, right in time for the worst economy in my lifetime. It's been tough, but it's getting better every month it seems and I'm hoping if I can have success in this economy that one day I will have super success when/if the economy gets better.

I got into BBQing seriously about a year and a half ago when I decided I was sick of eating crappy ribs at places that seemed to hide poor meat with WAYYYYY to much BBQ sauce. 6 months after that I went to Famous Dave's for the first time and began to realize what good BBQ could be like (I'm not saying Famous Dave's is the best BBQ joint ever, but compared to places like Chilis and Texas Roadhouse it is a definite eye opener). Prior to that I had made my ribs in the oven and then finished them on the grill ("WTF! The oven!?!?!?" I know, but I was young in BBQ years. Please forgive me). Even out of the oven though my ribs were better than your typical chains like Chilis, Outback Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Famous Dave's was a real eye opener for me though, and it started me on my quest for great BBQ (both at restaurants and at home). I purchased a vertical propane smoker by Landmann at Walmart and I've learned how to use it pretty well and can make some really good BBQ with it. So far I have really only focused on making ribs and chicken. It's taken me about 100 tries, but on June 18th of this year I finally got my rib recipe where I want it. Before June 18th I was making ribs that friends and family were telling me were "as good as [insert restaurant name here]". Since June 18th they've been saying "best ribs I've ever had". It's a subtle difference, but one I'm very happy about. I did a couple things differently on that fateful day and I personally thought it made a huge difference, and I'm glad that others have noticed.

My future BBQ goals are to get a new charcoal smoker, get into smoking brisket, tri-tip, and pork shoulder, and keep trying to develope a really good sauce. After much research, I am saving up to get a Weber Smokey Mountain (can not decide between the 18.5" and 22.5" sizes so if you have any advice on this let me know). I think eventually I will combine it with either a stoker or BBQguru. I really like the long, consistent temperature capabilities of the WSM which I've decided is the biggest key to good BBQ. I can throw just about any cut of meat into my smoker at 225 degrees for several hours with nothing but salt and pepper on it and most my friends will think it's the best thing they have ever tasted (BBQ infidels, little do they know the true possibilities of BBQ). I also think that a charcoal smoker will help take my BBQ smokering to a new level. I find it difficult to get a really, really good smoke ring on my propane smoker, and I hate having to refill the chipbox every 45-60 minutes. I like the "Minion Method" capabilities of the WSM. I also like being able to use larger chunks of wood for smoking rather than chips. Someday I may save up for a big tow-behind BBQ rig, but until the economy gets better I will have to settle for the WSM. It seems to offer competition smokeing quality in a small, portable package and at a comparatively affordable price.

Finally, I want to start attending some competitions and see what they are all about and (most importantly) taste the food. I'd like to see how close (or far away) my BBQ really is compared to the BBQ masters out there. If I think mine is close I may even decide to enter a competition or two someday. It seems like a lot of fun.

Well, that's enough about me. Hopefully, I've adequately introduced myself to the board.

Jared
#1 - June 28, 2010, 11:53:25 am

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Welcome to the site!  I know that we use both the 18 and 22" WSM's and like them.  It all depends on what you want to do with them in terms of which one to buy.  We've got 2 competitions in the next 3 weeks, one this weekend in Williams, and on the 17th in Prescott.  You should come out, we always have a good time!!  :angel:
#2 - June 28, 2010, 11:58:27 am

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome Jared. Glad to meet you

Enjoy the site. It's an awesome place to learn from. I've learned alot the past year
#3 - June 28, 2010, 01:55:17 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

jrod667

I actually think I am going to try to make it to Williams on Saturday. My bro-in-law and I are thinking of doing a day trip there and back. I want to taste some BBQ done by others who eat, talk, sleep BBQ. i'd like to know if I'm on the right track to making some great BBQ myself.
#4 - June 28, 2010, 02:12:34 pm

glenntm

Welcome Jared....
#5 - June 28, 2010, 02:28:58 pm

Tek465

Welcome!

The WSM is a great smoker and I'd say get it as big as you can get. I'm not sure about the stoker or guru. My ProQ and WSM hold temp so well I don't know what they'd do.

Also, If you want a better smoke ring off your gasser thy this. Replace the chip box and use an old pie pan filled with wood chunks and charcoal. You'll get an initial flare up but the charcoal will help kill that off and add more gases to help with the smoke ring. I let it go for about 2-3 hours or complete ash before replacing it.

#6 - June 28, 2010, 03:09:05 pm

Crash

Welcome Jared, great to have you here.  We look forward to seeing you at the Williams competition.
#7 - June 28, 2010, 04:36:22 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

azkitch

Welcome, Jared. Best intro letter I've seen! Your goals are admirable, and you may want to consider building a UDS in the meantime. They can be built very cheaply, and will cook for more'n 10 hours on one load. And there are Stoker and Guru kits for them too. Fantastic units. And made by your hand, too! Glad to have you aboard.
#8 - June 28, 2010, 05:39:00 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: