AZ Barbeque.com

New Kingsford Bluebag

Discussion started on

jmcrig

Chris Lily at the 09 Royal talking about the new Kingsford Bluebag;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOdw6GfR2s&NR=1
#1 - October 16, 2009, 08:14:13 pm

Crash

I sure hope it doesnt leave a fuel taste like the Competition Redbag did.  I look forward to trying it out.
#2 - October 16, 2009, 08:55:17 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Cornbred

If this is worth anything, when we we're at the Royal this year it appeared that at least a quarter (maybe more) of the teams were using the competition K. Big name teams! I know Kingsford doubled the purse if you placed using the Competition K but I don't think too many teams would have just started using the Red Bag at that comp. because of the purse. It appeared that this was their main fuel source all the time. It almost sounds like the new Blue Bag is going to have similar characteristics as the competition K? I personally don't use it anymore  because I feel 50% of BBQ is fuel/temp. management and I have the blue bag somewhat dialed in. Thoughts?
#3 - October 17, 2009, 08:50:40 am

AzQer

I have been using many differant charcoals and it seems like I just keep coming back to the blue I think it is availability. My only complant is it leaves so much ash if they could fix that I would have no complants.
#4 - October 17, 2009, 10:24:28 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

jmcrig

The ash was one of the points he talked about. If you increase the char, you decrease the ash.
#5 - October 17, 2009, 10:30:38 am

Crash

If this is worth anything, when we we're at the Royal this year it appeared that at least a quarter (maybe more) of the teams were using the competition K. Big name teams! I know Kingsford doubled the purse if you placed using the Competition K but I don't think too many teams would have just started using the Red Bag at that comp. because of the purse. It appeared that this was their main fuel source all the time. It almost sounds like the new Blue Bag is going to have similar characteristics as the competition K? I personally don't use it anymore  because I feel 50% of BBQ is fuel/temp. management and I have the blue bag somewhat dialed in. Thoughts?
I agree cornbred.  We are really comfortable using the Bluebag K.  We used the Redbag once and were horrified by the "fuelly" taste that it added.  I wont cook on it again, even if it's free.
#6 - October 17, 2009, 10:43:49 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

KidCurry

When I opened my latest bag of K I noticed that it looked like they had messed up at the factory...the "sure fire grooves" were diagonal.  So I jumped on the old internet and found this...

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/02/review-old-vs-new-kingsford-charcoal.html

Seemed to work fine and I do agree with the above review, the smell was "nicer" at start up.
#7 - March 09, 2010, 02:00:04 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

azkitch

...the smell was "nicer" at start up.
That's a can't miss! I bought a 2 pac at Sam's club, using it in the chimney, dumping it on the lump. I realize that many successful teams use it, but I thought it smelled like a roofing crew, or new roadwork. I don't think I could bring myself to put food I'm going to eat over those catching coals. I even tell myself how much great Q I've eaten as a cbj--all 3 contests + 2 IBCA contests--and I'd be stoopid if I didn't realize that at least 30% of that was cooked over Minion method BlueK. But I can't stomach the smell, myself.
Thanks for listening. I feel better now.
#8 - March 09, 2010, 06:20:26 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: