AZ Barbeque.com

Mebbe a dumb question but

Discussion started on

Jackkyl

I just finished cutting up a few scrub oaks.  If I let them "season" and dry out, are they good to smoke with?  Never really thought about it before, but today had me wondering... Also, I picked up some honey from our local Honeyman.  It Is GREAT! So now, my question is is there any secrets that aren't actual secrets to making a honey bbq sauce?  I'm experimenting all the time and can't wait to get these lil gems going!!
#1 - August 17, 2011, 05:16:14 pm

jmcrig

Can't comment on the scrub oak, but I'd Google Honey BBQ Sauce Recipes, and go from there.
#2 - August 17, 2011, 05:38:30 pm

Mark

The Honeyman in Prescott Valley is a great place. We especially like his Fairyduster honey. :P It
#3 - August 17, 2011, 07:16:43 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Jackkyl

Hells yeah! I picked up mesquite honey and the pecan honey! tasty!
#4 - August 17, 2011, 08:03:55 pm

Mark

I imagine the scrub oak ought to be a good smokewood as well as any other oak. At my Prescott Valley home I had two cherry trees and two apples. Neither bore a dang of fruit. But a Bartlett pear and a flame seedless grape did just okay. But thornless blackberries bore fruit like there was no tomorrow.
#5 - August 17, 2011, 08:27:18 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Jackkyl

My mom's pad has an overgrown appletree.  I went over to show them how to prune it and told em to save me the branches.  I used appletree branches to put a smoke on some bear burgers when we went on vacation to colorado.  Was superb!  Plus, when I had my own home in Prescott Valley, I had a lil blackberry bush that exploded and an apricot tree that was very fruit bearing.  My kids loved coming over for the snacks!
#6 - August 18, 2011, 08:11:26 am

tbonejc

I put honey in my mustard sauce.  Good stuff.
#7 - August 18, 2011, 11:34:08 am

Members: