AZ Barbeque.com

Chimney starter

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

Anyone used one of those propane flame starters that fit under a charcoal chimney starter? It goes in place of the newspaper. Any opinions? Saw one recently at a hardware store of all places. About 50 bucks if I saw it right.
#1 - March 09, 2010, 08:58:50 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

I have not...but I have used the side burner of an old gas grill and that worked great.
#2 - March 09, 2010, 09:01:28 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

glenntm

I have not...but I have used the side burner of an old gas grill and that worked great.

Same here.  Side burner works great, and fast.
#3 - March 09, 2010, 09:42:21 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Side burners work great as well.  Love the one on my DP, like a mini jet engine..
#4 - March 09, 2010, 10:06:46 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

There are many who have large propane burners, like ones for deep frying turkeys, using them for charcoal chimneys at comps. All the side burners on the large rigs get used for that. Looks like a great way to go!
#5 - March 09, 2010, 10:38:13 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

smitty250

Side burners work great as well.  Love the one on my DP, like a mini jet engine..

Yep - that's how I do it. Before I got the DP I just used newspaper under my chimney - never tried the propane flame starter under it. If you get it let us know how it works for you.
#6 - March 10, 2010, 09:20:36 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

AZWildcat

Went through the old camping stuff looking for a propane stove. Found a camp grill I got on clearance last year from Kmart. Marked down to 8.00 from 32.00. I'll attatch a pic later, but the chimney fit on it like a glove. My chimney has glowing coals in under 3 min! Awsome! Goodbye Newspaper. The only thing I underestimated was how hot the coals get. Had to adjust my initial  WSM temps.

Never used it, figured for 8 bucks i'd find a use sooner or later.................
#7 - March 13, 2010, 05:40:49 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mark

My Kamados are a yard away from my gas grill with a side burner. My chimney is laying right beside it, but I never put two and two together. D'oh!  ::) I'm down to my last sawdust/wax firestarter. I'm going to give it a try. ;)
#8 - March 13, 2010, 06:07:46 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

New!
Here is the $8.00 camp stove w/ the grill removed. Runs off the small propane bottles. Fits like a glove. Just upset I didn't figure it out sooner too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#9 - March 14, 2010, 12:36:49 pm
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:36:27 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Members: