AZ Barbeque.com

bought some wood today

Discussion started on

kingbrutis

I know BB is a sponsor, but I needed some wood fast. I wont plug them, but they are on the west side and easy to find on craigslist. Anyway, I bought a 1/4 cord of pecan and they thru in a bunch of apple and pistachio to play with. I called at 11am Sunday and it was delivered a few hours later. No delivery charge!!!! I'm new to this wood thing since getting the big smoker. Pellets dont burn long on the Klose. Point of this being, I think they are reasonably priced and said they had some apple to move pretty cheap. I think Kitch might have some pics. 
#1 - December 27, 2009, 10:34:14 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Congrats, sounds like you got a great deal.

It still amazes me that none of these BBQ Resource people want to step up and support the BBQ Community here in AZ.

All the big company's do, Famous Daves, BBQ Island & Berry Bros.  Why is it that the Big guys get it, but the smaller ones don't? 

I'm glad that you got a great deal and that they have some great wood, but if they really want to be successful and show that they support the BBQ Community, they need to be on here as a sponsor and posting.

I'm not just talking about this wood guy, I'm talking about the BBQ Restaurants, the BBQ Supply Stores, The Wood Supplies, etc. 

Hope you gave them our info and told them to check us out.

The #1 way we are able to keep this site/club FREE is by having great sponsors to help offset some of the costs involved with running the club. 
#2 - December 27, 2009, 10:46:54 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

kingbrutis

To be honest, I dont have a truck to carry alot of wood and BB charge a ton for delivery. I would love to support them (and will with chunks), but we are talking over $100 difference for the same product. Yes, Kitch gave them an AZ BBQ business card. Sorry if I shouldnt have posted this.

Congrats, sounds like you got a great deal.

It still amazes me that none of these BBQ Resource people want to step up and support the BBQ Community here in AZ.

All the big company's do, Famous Daves, BBQ Island & Berry Bros.  Why is it that the Big guys get it, but the smaller ones don't? 

I'm glad that you got a great deal and that they have some great wood, but if they really want to be successful and show that they support the BBQ Community, they need to be on here as a sponsor and posting.

I'm not just talking about this wood guy, I'm talking about the BBQ Restaurants, the BBQ Supply Stores, The Wood Supplies, etc. 

Hope you gave them our info and told them to check us out.

The #1 way we are able to keep this site/club FREE is by having great sponsors to help offset some of the costs involved with running the club. 
#3 - December 27, 2009, 11:00:18 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Joe,  Hey, I'm all about having all BBQ resources posting & advertising on here.  Everyone can be successful, that's what I'm stating.

No problem posting it here at all, that's what we are here for, to help each other out with all aspects of BBQ, from the best deals on Smokers to the best deals on Wood, etc.

I was just stating that I'm amazed that the big players in town get it about supporting us and the Arizona BBQ Community and the smaller ones, who should be on here, don't.  Our costs are amazingly reasonable and we are not trying to make a living out of our sponsors, just trying to offset the costs of running this fantastic club and keeping it FREE for all of you.

Keep on posting Joe and letting them all know about us.  They will eventually all "Get it"..  ;)
#4 - December 27, 2009, 11:31:39 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/for/1522711899.html
I think these are the guys. They brought over a pickup truck load, that was about 1/4 pistachio, 1/4 apple, the rest pecan. Rough lookin' splits, not the pretty textbook splits you'd get from our sponsor--but that was a bunch of pistachio, from what I hear...I don't think I gave them a card. One of Joe's neighbors, otoh, got one.
And Joe's new pit is awfully nice!!
#5 - December 28, 2009, 02:56:14 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

CasperMountainBBQ

KingBrutis if you don't mind us asking can you please post the phone number,name and address of where you bought the wood.  We are trying to find somewhere close to Yuma AZ to get wood. Than you
#6 - March 09, 2010, 01:41:44 pm

azkitch

I finally found it on CL--But it's still here in Phoenix. Way west Phoenix, but...anyway, Lenero Firewood, "9801 N. LITCHFIELD RD. NORTH OF OLIVE EL MIRAGE AZ. 85335 TEL 623-385-5556
HOURS OF BUSINESS MONDAY TO SAT 8.00AM TO 5.00 PM - SUN. 10.00 TO 2.00 PM. WE DO FREE DELIVERY ON 20 MILES AROUND OUR STORE"

I was impressed with the quantity of pistachio they included. And envious!
#7 - March 09, 2010, 07:07:58 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

shchef

hey do you use all wood I am having problems with to much smoke flavor how do keep that from happening
#8 - April 10, 2010, 09:19:01 pm

azkitch

from a best advice post I read...try to undersmoke your meat. Exhaust wide open.
Tell us what you cook on and how you fuel it and how much wood you use for flavor. We'll have a better idea of what may be going wrong.
Many cooks think mesquite is the only way to go, but if you try to use it as a flavor wood, it's pretty brutal and unforgiving. Mesquite emits about 5X the amount of flavoring chemical as most other cooking wood--make that 'smoking' wood. Walnut is pretty stout too. Pecan and Apple are awesome, and you can use virtually any citrus tree as well as nut trees. I have a mess of mulberry I should start using. Pistachio is fantastic for turkey!

Welcome to the forum. Pop on over to the 'WELCOME' section and tell us a bit about yourself--where y'are, where ya were, what you do, stuff like that. A bit slow tonight, we had a huge competition in Scottsdale today. And those that competed brought about 9 times as much meat as usual, and cooked much later than usual, in order to feed the masses in the customary food sampling. It was a stampede out there!!!
#9 - April 10, 2010, 09:27:55 pm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:31:21 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779

dannypat21

When I first started BBQin I was choking the fire and getting over smoked food.  Now that I understand how to burn a clean fire the smoke is a subtle accent to the meat.  Make sure your fire has a flame and not just smoldering charcoal.  You dont want dark black smoke, more of a thin blue color.
#10 - April 13, 2010, 01:10:34 pm

shchef

I use one full bag of charcoal when that is hot i ADD TWO PIECES OF OAK about 16"x 4 or 5' that goes for about hour and a half than i have to add one more piece. some times I use Mesquite. I have use mesquite charcoal also it burns hot.I did some Tri Tip and chicken also threw some flank steak on the pit.
i use a diamond pit fat boy.
#11 - April 20, 2010, 12:12:16 pm

Members: