AZ Barbeque.com

BBQ Island Lump Charcoal

Discussion started on

BBQ ISLAND

Hey Everyone;
A few things i have been learning about the lump charcoal, the Royal Oak is out of mexico, enough said there, you might get some railroad ties in there or something there is NO quality control. The Primo charcoal is made by Cowboy, from what i have heard, this is made from the wood from residential housing scraps-so you are getting some pine,fir, spruce-oak whatever is left over.

We Carry the Good One Charcoal and ONO Charcoal, the good one has received the highest rating on naked whiz and the ono is up there pretty high. The ONO, l is made from a wood called Kiawe (pronounced kee-ah-vay) which is in the mesquite family. The Good one is 50% Oak, 25%hickory and 25% Pecan for a great mix

We can discount it to the members and call us for bulk (meaning a pallet of 30 or more) for pricing.
#1 - August 27, 2009, 10:40:41 am
BBQ ISLAND

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Awesome explaination guys, thanks.  Thanks for the great discount for our members as well.  ;)
#2 - August 27, 2009, 11:18:07 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

KidCurry

So what does this stuff run "regular" everyday price per bag?
#3 - August 27, 2009, 01:01:11 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

I've cooked on the ONO before.  Awesome stuff, especially for the Pro Q's.
#4 - August 27, 2009, 02:19:44 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

smitty250

I have recently been using The Good One lump charcoal and love it. Burns long, hot, and little ash.  :)
#5 - August 27, 2009, 02:32:52 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

BBQ ISLAND

WE JUST GOT THE ONO Charcoal in introductory Price of $15.99 Bag The Good One Charcoal is $19.99 for Members.
the Ono will probably go up, just trying to get it out there and have people try it. BBQ Galore sells it for $24.95 Savings of $9.00 a bag pretty good deal.

Mike
BBQ Island
#6 - August 28, 2009, 11:54:11 am
BBQ ISLAND

KidCurry

...sorry to be picky...what sizes are those bag?

Thanks for the info.It does rock to have such great sponsors on this site with such good deals for us members. Thanks!!!   :) :)
#7 - August 28, 2009, 12:23:38 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

Hey Mike,
Is that a 20lb bag of the Ono?
#8 - August 28, 2009, 02:42:28 pm
VRM Pit Crew

BBQ ISLAND

Yes 20lb/Bag Tommy at Whiskey Ranch seems to like it.
#9 - August 28, 2009, 02:58:15 pm
BBQ ISLAND

Crash

Smoking deal....I'll be in to pick some up if I get to Tempe.  Thanks.
#10 - August 28, 2009, 03:15:57 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

Kiawe is the fuel used to superheat the stones in a Hawaiian imu--the pit to roast pigs. A bag of Ono and then all you'd need is a pig and a shovel!  ;D Plus mebbe a grass skirt.  ;)

Speaking of Hawaiian stuff , Whole Foods carries red Hawaiian salt, pretty much the only seasoning in Kalua Pig.
#11 - August 28, 2009, 03:24:59 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

bearbonez

Kiawe is in the mesquite family, but is nowhere near as strong as mesquite, and is much sweeter. As far as bbq, this falls into same usability as oak, pecan and fruit woods.
#12 - August 31, 2009, 09:55:45 am
David "Bear" Nunley

bearbonez

Kiawe is the fuel used to superheat the stones in a Hawaiian imu--the pit to roast pigs. A bag of Ono and then all you'd need is a pig and a shovel!  ;D Plus mebbe a grass skirt.  ;)

Speaking of Hawaiian stuff , Whole Foods carries red Hawaiian salt, pretty much the only seasoning in Kalua Pig.

Read the label...if the red salt is harvested from Oahu..STAY AWAY. Before we moved we had a 44 day 120" rain storm...some sewerage spill problems in the area where the red salt is harvested on Oahu. The white salt is harvested from ocean side of the barrier islands. But yeah, the salt is the only seasoning on the pig. all the flavor is from the kiawe, salt, ti leaves and luau (taro) leaves.
#13 - August 31, 2009, 10:00:03 am
David "Bear" Nunley

Mark

No wonder they had a sale on Hawaiian Brown salt!  :o :-X
#14 - August 31, 2009, 10:39:53 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

BBQ ISLAND

the ono surprising really good, easy to light, the pieces are larger than expected, they burn very well, no spikes from what I see. I did some ribs this weekend and they were very good. It has a light sweet taste. I am very impressed. Little ash as well.
#15 - August 31, 2009, 05:08:39 pm
BBQ ISLAND

Members: