AZ Barbeque.com

The Hog Pit (Tucson)

Discussion started on

obschina

Went to The Hog Pit in Tucson this last weekend.   Anybody else been?  It is a newer smokehouse restaurant/replaced the Taco Bron that used to be on Tanque Verde on the Northeast side of town.

Seems to cater to Bikers/always has a lot of Harley Davidson types.  I guess the Hog Pit refers to the bike + the meat.   Speaking of which, I have mixed feelings on the meat.   Got the combo which includes ribs, chopped pork, sliced brisket, and sausage (hot links).   Got beans as a side.  I chose the Voodoo sauce and the fellow I was with chose the Black Magic sauce (he also got the combo so I was able to sample both sauces).  The ribs and beans were terrible - ribs were cooked too long & the beans were tasteless/boring.   The pork/brisket were ok but had so much sauce on them that I couldn't taste the meat very well...both sauces were very spicy and I hate to see them overwhelm any flavor the meat may have.   The plate came with one half of a hot link (with no sauce on it) which....was freaking awesome!  If I ever go back it will be to get a full plate of sausage/hot links (hopefully that's a dish - I didn't see it).

Probably won't be going back unless I happen to be in the area & am dying for BBQ... I hope somebody else has a better experience if they eat here.
#1 - March 16, 2010, 09:00:13 am

G$

Drove by it last night on the way to dinner elsewhere.  It is AMAZING how many BBQ restaurants are sprouting up right now...
#2 - March 16, 2010, 09:25:16 am
G$

Mark

I hear The Hog Pit attracts a lot of UA coeds. They think it is a sorority house. ::) >:D
#3 - March 16, 2010, 12:13:49 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

smitty250

I hear The Hog Pit attracts a lot of UA coeds. They think it is a sorority house. ::) >:D

NICE!!  :laugh:
#4 - March 16, 2010, 12:38:44 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

AzQer

Actually it is were we convert ASU girls to U of A girls. Hogs come in nice girls come out.

As for the Hog pit itself let me say Tom is a friend of mine and I have been there 2 times one was just this last weekend. I can tell you this it is a new thing, and as a new thing the bugs need worked out. Give it a little time. he has went through quite a few cooks so far that said they knew what they were doing and didnt.

Just my 2 cents.
#5 - March 16, 2010, 02:38:16 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

obschina

As for the Hog pit itself let me say Tom is a friend of mine and I have been there 2 times one was just this last weekend. I can tell you this it is a new thing, and as a new thing the bugs need worked out. Give it a little time. he has went through quite a few cooks so far that said they knew what they were doing and didnt.

Understood... will try it again in a couple months... they were definitely on the right track with the sausage ;-)

#6 - March 17, 2010, 09:41:15 am

AZWildcat

Been there on opening day (or so). They were sponsoring a Motorcycle Poker Run, so on the route some buddies and I ate some lunch there.  Had a pulled pork sandwich, thought it was pretty decent, but not so memorable that i've gone back. Some cool TV's and a bar, not bad. Someone might correct me, but I think the owner is an big officer in a local H.O.G. chapter (Harley Owners Group). Either way, i'll give it another try soon. For some reason, that spot just has had some bad luck w/ turnovers in different stores.
#7 - March 17, 2010, 11:24:48 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Members: