AZ Barbeque.com

Q to U in Anthem

Discussion started on

Captain BBQ

Went to Q to U in Anthem a couple of weeks ago around Father's day.  My wife had planned to take me to Bryan's Black Mountain, but it was closed.  I told her I wanted to go this place because it had some good reviews on AZ BBQ. 

I wasn't disappointed!  Hats off the owner.  He spent some time talking to me at the restaurant.  I always love it when people take a personal interest in customers.  It was clear he is passionate about BBQ. 

It was probably some of the best BBQ I have had in Phoenix.  I am from St. Louis where BBQ is areligion from the backyard, so I ahve been in search of good BBQ since I moved here.  Happy to know it is just 5 miles up I17!

I had the pulled pork, ribs, and fried smoked wings.  The wings were execellent.  Loved the sauce and side - beans.  I will be back for BBQ!  My wife loved the witty signs and atmoshpere of the place.  I like the fact that I can get a canned beer at a reasonable price.  Nice work!

Not to be critical, but in the spirit of constructive feedback.  I want to offersome feedback to make it even better than it already is - The potato salad was average.  I would encourage some work here.  I also like a ton of dill pickles offered like they do in KC with BBQ.  I had none on the plate.  That would be a great finishing touch.  It could be a personal thing, but I HAVE ALSO TRAVELED MUCH IN KC, TN, MO AND TX, PICKLES ARE A MUST.

All in all, very happy to have Q to U close and I will be a repeat customer.
#1 - July 08, 2011, 11:09:14 pm

toys4dlr

Hello Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to come up to our place, we do appreciate it.  It must have been fathers day, as Bryan is closed on Sunday and Monday. We are just closed on Monday.  I hope to see you back soon. 

For the Potato Salad, what was lacking for your taste?  So I know and might be able to make some adjustments.  However, I do get a lot of people that love it, just like grandma's.   ;D

It is homemade (As are all our sides) and I try hard to find a balance for all people and that is truly the most difficult part.  There is extra salt, rub, pepper and about 9 different hot sauces to spice it up available. 

Thanks again and we look forward to see you again. 

David and Karyn Rosol
#2 - July 09, 2011, 10:20:09 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Captain BBQ

David, thanks for asking.  It could be my personal taste.   I think some more salt possibly.  My wife gets on me about liking stuff too salty.  I guess the main thing would be that is was not bad, just not special.  I really like things to pop when you put them in your mouth.  The BBQ definitely did.  There is a very distinct flavor in your suace and rub that I have not had before.  It certainly makes it different and special.  And as you and I discussed, I like the fact that you add bark in the pork, it is the flavorful part.  I would come back for it for sure.  My thought would be to look for a way to make the potato salad a little different than grandma's mustard potato salad.  Maybe it is using some spicy mustard as well. 

This was a small thing in my view though.  I think you are definitely doing it right.  I agree, the hardest thing would be to please everyone.  I would say if most people like it, I wouldn't change it unless you begin to hear it consistently.  Hope this is insightful for you.
#3 - July 09, 2011, 06:47:40 pm

toys4dlr

Thanks for your view and we appreciate your business.  don't know what we will do, but I do listen to our customers. 

Thanks

David
#4 - July 10, 2011, 09:42:45 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Captain BBQ

That's great.  I will definitely be back and have already told numerous people about your place.  I think its great and I want you to know that will always pass along feedback if I think it could help. 
#5 - July 10, 2011, 03:01:39 pm

Blackburn

I will most likely be heading up there this weekend(as I have Sat and Sunday off work). I have heard nothing but good things about this place and the way Captain BBQ describes it( atmosphere and owner into customers interests) sounds just like my favorite BBQ place, which is Ricks SmokeHouse & Grill in Terre Haute, IN.

After I eat there I will post a review. I refer to my self as a pulled pork aficionado, So I will definitely be getting that and maybe a 1/4 slab of ribs just to try.
I will be looking forward to me visit.
#6 - July 10, 2011, 07:45:49 pm

toys4dlr

We look forward to seeing you Patrick.  Karyn's day off is Sunday, so I am there all day.  I may or may not be there on Saturday, but Karyn is for sure. 

We split time during the summer as there seems to be a ton of things going on with our boys.

We are open 11 to 8:30 on Saturday and 12:30 to 6:30 on Sunday.

See you soon

David

#7 - July 11, 2011, 08:11:33 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Captain BBQ

Indy, I am a pulled pork fan as well.  This is the bestt pulled pork I have had in AZ.  I also like Big Daddy's, but they don't include any bark. 
#8 - July 11, 2011, 09:48:39 pm

route66

I also like Big Daddy's, but they don't include any bark

I think they quit doing pulled pork a while back along with collecting money. Are they still in business?
#9 - July 12, 2011, 01:07:52 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Nope, Big Daddy's is closed..

Don't forget to try Q to U's World Famous Hot Dog as well.  It's one of the best I have ever had..  ;)
#10 - July 12, 2011, 07:49:00 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

I think they quit doing pulled pork a while back along with collecting money. Are they still in business?

That's pretty funny, Brandon. Sad, but funny. ;D
#11 - July 12, 2011, 08:21:06 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Captain BBQ

I am not surprised Big Daddy's is closed.  Very bad location with bad parking and probably really high rent.  That is a bad combination for business.
#12 - July 14, 2011, 06:24:40 pm

tbonejc

We are just closed on Monday. 

I have an idea.  Might not go for it but I'll through it out there.  I would ike to come up and try your que.  After everything I've heard my interest has been piqued for awhile.  I would like to meet both of you, David and Karyn.  But the only time I could get up there, from the east valley, is on Saturday when one of you has the day off.
So my idea is, what if you hold a special Labor Day BBQ party for AZ Barbeque folks and who ever else hears about it.  It's on a Monday though and a lot of people have the day off.  I was thinking you can charge regular prices for your stuff or have a selected menu and do one charge for that particular plate, or whatever, maybe do something for a charity too.

Like I said, just an idea.  Take it or leave it.  Looking forward to head up your way regardless.
#13 - July 15, 2011, 02:27:28 pm

toys4dlr

I appreciate your idea, but Monday's are my only full day off ( I actually do my cleaning on Monday) .  So, I am going to have to pass on the idea for a monday cook.  I get to spend the day with the family.   

We hope you find time to come over and please introduce yourself.  If I am not in the shop but around town, I can be there in a few minutes. 

David
#14 - July 15, 2011, 05:27:44 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Blackburn

Look like I will most likely be stopping by Sunday afternoon. Going on a float trip Sunday morning-evening on Salt-river, apparently you have to do that when you move here. So ill be stopping by once that gets done
#15 - July 16, 2011, 04:00:24 am

Members: