AZ Barbeque.com

Are These The Best Ribs in Arizona?

Discussion started on

mustang

I saw this review below on Yelp;  couldn't help but wonder if anyone from AZBarbeque has tried it out?

Quote <<   I'll get straight to the point.  Romy's Ribs has the best pork ribs I have ever put in my mouth.  >>  

The seasoning.  Let's just say I was licking my fingers even AFTER I washed them.  Jerome (the owner) expressed that people constantly ask for his recipe.  He should guard it with his life.  Its the kind of blend that makes sauce unnecessary.  Romy is from St. Louis, so this is a St. Louis style rub, and hopefully that gives you an idea of what to expect.  Kind of spicy, very savory, and just perfect.

The texture.  Tender as ribs get, but not falling off the bone.  The 'skin' was the perfect consistency.  The way he cooks them, there was a crust which is formed from the rub, and seems slightly carmelized, but not really.  When you bite into it, it's the right combo of meaty and juicy.  I cannot express how much I sincerely mean that these ribs produce 'perfect' bites.  

The essence.  The oak wood that he uses to fuel his huge smoker is the perfect complement to his rub.  There is a nice smoke-ring, and the smoke and rub permeate the whole rib.  As I stated before, sauce is not needed because there is a fullness that you get that makes the rib a complete experience.  Sauce almost would lessen the rib.  I don't know if Romy makes the sauce he gives out, but it is good regardless.  Sweet, but savory.

I also want to point out the feeling I got when I walked up to the place.  From the way Jerome and the cook said "hello", you knew you were dealing with down to earth, good people.  Genuine.  For first time customers, he lets you taste the meat before you buy anything.  He asks your name, not to call out your order, but because he wants to personally know his customers.  You could sit down and play Spades with these guys, and the time would fly by.  This has everything to do with the food, because that same goodness comes through in the food.

I cannot stop talking about Romy's, and I cannot get the taste out of my mind.  Never before have I craved something like this before, immediately after I just had it.  He is only open Friday thru Sundays, from 12 - 7 pm, so you have to wait a week before you can get some more.  And you WILL want some more.  

I have not exaggerated one single thing I have stated here.  I stand by this man's pork ribs as if I made them myself.  And I will be back again next weekend to try the next thing on the menu.  

He has brisket, chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, baby-back ribs, beef ribs and pork spare ribs, hot links, and sides.  I paid about 12 bucks for a 1/2 slab, but that is a lot of food.  If you think its pricey, just try the snack order for about 4 dollars.  The man could charge much more for his ribs, and I'd still pay it.  They are that good.

Another update 2/29/09:
Since first writing about Romy's, I have been there more times than I count on both hands.  The main thing that stands out over a span of time about a food place, is whether or not the quality is consistent?

The answer about consistency for Romy's is definitely YES.

I have not once had a disappointing order of pork ribs in all my visits.  Not once have they been over/undercooked, cold, under/over seasoned...

Also, I have fallen in love with the pulled pork sandwich.  I would marry it if it were legal...and if I weren't afraid that I'd eat my new wife.  The pork is tender, needless to say.  It also has the right amount of bark and fat.  Just like the ribs, you need NO SAUCE.

The chicken?  I've only had it once.  However, I will say that it was seasoned all the way through to the bone, and it was cooked perfectly.  You know how sometimes bbq'd chicken can have doneness issues?  Well the batch I had was cooked thoroughly.  Tender, not tough to chew, and the perfect smoked taste.

I must reiterate that I have not had a bad meal at Romy's.  The only thing that I might drop a little lower on my list of awesomeness are the rib tips ... but only cause' I'm not a rib tip kind of guy.  They are indeed meaty and just as tasty as the ribs they come from.  So you won't be disappointed.

Romy himself is a man that I like talking to.  He always has something nice to say, a great smile waiting for you, and good conversation.  He and Cory are good people.

So yeah, venture out to Maricopa, AZ on a weekend afternoon and visit Romy's.  You won't regret it.  This is strictly a "Take-Out" food situation to keep overhead down, although many folks eat it right there while inside their vehicle chased with a complimentary bottle of cold water they give you.  You can also phone in an order ahead of time if you want a large amount of "catered" BBQ.  

Jerome takes pride in cooking everything himself and his wife makes the sides from scratch. His personal standard of quality is much higher than large restaurants which naturally lose quality due to their high volume, assembly-line process. Many restaurants have to take shortcuts to speed up the process, and they have to make a large enough profit margin to support their huge overhead by buying less expensive meat, etc.  Jerome doesn't have those issues.  He's not trying to get rich.  It's a little like going over to someone's private home cookout.

For questions and/or directions to Romy's Ribs call Jerome at 520-431-7414  

#1 - August 23, 2010, 11:49:57 am
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:09:31 pm by mustang »

studglove

I live in Maricopa and drive by Romy's everyday. I have tried his pulled pork sandwich and it was good. The pork was tender and had good flavor. I would not say that it was as amazing as this reviewer claims it to be. I will have to try the ribs this weekend and see what all the buzz is about. They are a bit pricey which is why I havent tried them yet. I have tried some amazing competition ribs and I have a hard time believing that Romy's will be significantly better. I will post again when I try the ribs. What he said about the person is true though. It is a family business and they are wonderful people.
#2 - August 31, 2010, 08:56:12 pm

Members: