AZ Barbeque.com

Looking for a bbq restaurant hiring or a team looking for another member

Discussion started on

Homerfeltheim

Hello,
My name is Chris Feltheim. I recently graduated from culinary school and am looking for a job, I'm also looking to join a
competition team if possible. I've tried to do 2-3 competitions lately but funds have been limited so I'm looking to join either
a pre-existing team or possibly form a new team. I can email you a copy of my resume if interested.
Thanks for looking

#1 - February 08, 2012, 04:32:33 pm
Vegetarian-an old indian word for bad hunter

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

I'm in exactly the same position, except I'm still in school. Where are you located?
#2 - February 22, 2012, 05:59:12 pm

Homerfeltheim

I'm in Tucson AZ east side
#3 - February 24, 2012, 12:41:06 pm

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

That's too bad. I'm way up here in north Phoenix.

I've noticed that BBQ joints seem to look at you sideways when you show them a resume with culinary school in it. In a weird way I think we're stigmatized by the school thing. Kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't--the kinds of places that make really good and earthy food think you'll never stick around cuz it's not really your "French" thing and you'll leave as soon as Thomas Keller calls, while the fine-dining places don't see Thomas Keller on your resume so you're obviously not ready yet...

I went to school for technique, organization, knowledge and to fill in the holes in my base-level skills. And I want to apply that to simple foods done well. I just want to make food that puts smiles on people's faces.

I'm not better than these guys (and gals) dragging their pits around the state working competitions because they love what they do. And the people I've met so far on this site have treated me like any other newbie, not better, not less-than, just a BBQ lover and cook. They're the kind of people I want to associate with and make food with.

#4 - February 24, 2012, 01:39:38 pm

Homerfeltheim

Exactly, when I told students at school I wanted to get into BBQ I always got comments like I was db or there's no difficulty in it or it isn't pretigous.
#5 - February 26, 2012, 10:05:22 pm

bucaguy

As a guy who has been in the business for 20 years and done a lot hiring.. Leave it off the Resume!  I cannot tell you how many culinary students I have hired over the years only to see them leave when the "fancy" place called..   Just my 2 cents.  you will for sure get a better look..  Plus most think that you are looking for more money then they can pay
#6 - February 26, 2012, 10:36:32 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

Excellent advice.

You know, I have no true interest in French food and really no fixation on "fine dining". If culinary schools taught Italian cooking as their base I would be that much happier. And if they let you choose your cuisine of interest as a developing element during training, I'd really be happier.

Yeah, I can cut onions like a MF'r and some of my newly-acquired skills will definitely help me in any cooking environment, and I appreciate the value of hustling, but what I feel will make me a good employee or good owner is loving the food I produce all the way through the process. Can a Chili's or Claim Jumper or Marriott manager ask you to do that with a straight face?

Most hiring managers want you to be able to handle a fast pace in a line environment because that's how they see money being made, that's where the focus is in terms of value. One of the very cool things about BBQ is that the focus is inherently on the cooking process and the rest of it functions to serve that value.
#7 - February 26, 2012, 11:02:39 pm

azchef1

I graduated from Scottsdale Culinary ,and I found that culinary school means squat. The jobs that I have taken truly cared on speed and efficency in the kitchen, and also the ability to handle pressure. As an executive chef for a cruise line, I looked at new hires, liking the fact they had school experience but much prefered the hands on practical experience in establishments I could verify. Auditions are a must and as long as you can step into any kitchen and produce under that pressure, with skill and competence, your going to get a shot, weather you have school on the resume or not. I have worked in many kitchens for free to prove to them I knew my stuff. Offer to work a couple shifts for nothing somewhere you really want to work.  BBQ and especially competition BBQ is not easy to get right. I think anyone can overcook a brisket or pork and make it delicious but it takes skill to get it just right. Be well rounded, and confident I guess is the only advice I can give you, and be ready for anything they throw at you.
#8 - February 27, 2012, 06:50:50 am

Mark

Unless you are developing a new restaurant concept, your most valuable commodity is being able to replicate recipes consistently and promptly. Kitchen managers are is in as much demand as exec chefs, perhaps more so. I swear that culinary schools should add Spanish classes, too. From fast food to fine dining, the ability to converse with the crew is vital. In Arizona (and much of the country) that crew primarily speaks espanol.
#9 - February 27, 2012, 07:44:14 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

More good advice. As a former restaurant manager, I would look for this: 1. Basic skills and knowledge (can cut without cutting off own digits, can carry a knife without cutting off others' digits, knows measurements, understands basic terms, knows standard equipment, understands basic sanitation, etc.), 2. Is trainable, 3. Is willing to work hard AND 4. Loves to cook. That was my first chef's attitude, though I've found since that he was a rare breed.
#10 - March 01, 2012, 05:14:07 pm

bucaguy

After the ass kicking we got tonight I could use a guy in Iowa!! ;D
#11 - March 01, 2012, 08:35:59 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Homerfeltheim

thanks everyone, a lot of good suggestions. I may have a few options to consider so hopefully things will be improving shortly
#12 - March 01, 2012, 09:19:31 pm

Members: