AZ Barbeque.com

Brine a butt?

Discussion started on

DanMan

Hello I am going to smoke a butt this Sunday and am wondering if I should brine, will it have the same effect as it does with chicken?  I did 2 whole chickens last weekend they were so good I ate 1/2 of one right there at the counter.  My girl came home later that evening and ate the other 1/2 right down to the bone.  The best chicken I have ever had or cooked.  Will always brine chicken in the future.
#1 - June 04, 2010, 06:44:34 am

toys4dlr

In my opinion, the pork butt is too thick to really take a brine and It also turns a little "Hammy" too.  That said, injecting is a great way to add more flavor into the middle.  Quicker too.

I am right with you on the brine for Chix, I do it for pork chops too.  so good
#2 - June 04, 2010, 07:33:29 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

squealers

I agree with David, injecting a flavor inside will be more efficient than a brine. Pork butt on the bone is full of flavors, and does not require much extra help if cooked right. some sort of mustard mixture 12 to 24 hours ahead of time, a few shot of apple juice and apple cider vinegar, a good balanced rub.

voila! 
#3 - June 04, 2010, 07:44:32 am
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

bearbonez

As said...brine equals ham. The butt will take the brine, but takes several days to cure. That is the problem...curing...the end product will be ham from a different cut. As was hit on the money, an injection with a natural pork flavor enhancer as apple juice or a maple simple syrup including some savory spice profiles and acidity is all you need. Make your injection concoction, inject, rub and cook. As far as what spices to use..start off with the essential basics,..salt, fine ground pepper or cayenne, garlic and onion powder. Experiment from there. I always encourage experimentation. Just go small amounts on new ingredients, that way nothing is over powered and even mistakes still are tasty, if not what you we're aiming for. Also when using spices in an injection, use a coffee grinder to grind to a super fine powder so as not to clog the needle. A last note, if you can, heat your concoction to release essential oils and then refrigerate  overnight to allow the flavors to marry.
#4 - June 04, 2010, 05:17:48 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

DanMan

Ok thanks.
#5 - June 04, 2010, 06:16:14 pm

AZGrilling

It was said "Experiment from there. I always encourage experimentation. Just go small amounts on new ingredients," 
JUST be sure to write it down. That way you can match it again..
Sometimes we mix and forget to write. It turns out great.... but we forgot how much of what .. so its lost again..

And pics..  we need pics..

#6 - June 05, 2010, 06:00:00 am
This space for rent  apply within...

Quiggs

I just sit in the ocean.....seems to work fine!! ...................what a ham......get it... :laugh:
#7 - June 05, 2010, 09:02:52 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

SmokeWatcher

I think a butt is moist enough already without adding more liquid.
#8 - June 05, 2010, 10:44:38 am
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

Members: