AZ Barbeque.com

Smoking my first brisket

Discussion started on

joe2chillo

So its been a year since I started BBQ and I feel I am ready to tackle my first brisket. Everyone says this is the hardest thing to cook. I have gotten great results with my Pork butts, ribs, chicken, turkey, and other things I have smoked so now it is time. I have a really nice 15lb USDA Choice whole packers. I have it injected, marinaded, rubbed and ready to go on. Here is a pick of it right before going on. I will post finished product pics tomorrow.
#1 - February 04, 2012, 10:38:23 pm

Crash

Best of luck.... practice makes perfect.

Looks like you trimmed a lot of pounds off of that packer.  What did you inject and rub it with?
#2 - February 05, 2012, 02:58:26 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

Looks like you trimmed a lot of pounds off of that packer.
That's what I couldn't figure out when I looked at the photo. It's totally devoid of fat. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

My lazy bum method involves hacking off any fat that's over an inch thick then tossing on some rub and throwing the meat in the general direction of my smoker. 8)
#3 - February 05, 2012, 10:14:18 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

joe2chillo

That is the meat side your looking at. LOL. Don't worry. Plenty of fat on there. I trimmed it down a little but there is a 1/4 inch layer on the other side. The brisket came off this morning. Took closer to 10 hours than my estimated 15. I cut the point off and cut it into cubes to make burnt ends. The flat is wrapped in foil and sitting in a cooler wrapped in towels till game time. It look great though. I did my marinade/injection with a mix of beef broth, soy sauce, and worcheshire sauce, and mixed in some of my rub. The rub is just my own beef rub. I got it from a friend of mine from Texas and made some minor modifcations. It is mostly pepper and salt with some white sugar, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, and chili powder. Its got a nice kick but not too over baring. Than I made a nice thin sauce to go on top of it. So far everything is looking great. But the real test comes at half time.
#4 - February 05, 2012, 02:23:53 pm

The Smokin Shanty

looks good so far. looking forward to finished product
#5 - February 05, 2012, 04:51:22 pm
Kingsford grill
UDS
Pro Q excel 20
Charbroil offset

joe2chillo

Here are the pics of the finished product. It was a big hit. I am very happy with the results of my first brisket. It had a very nice smoke ring as well. I don't have the pics of the burnt ends yet but I will add them.

#6 - February 05, 2012, 08:43:15 pm

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looks Good. Nice job
#7 - February 06, 2012, 10:04:51 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Members: