AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked some ribs

Discussion started on

wuykats

It was my new son-in-law's birthday this past weekend so I decided to try smoking some baby back
ribs to celebrate.  I have an old electric smoker that I very seldom use, so I dragged it out of the
garage and cleaned it up.  It is the type with a pan to hold liquid, so you kind of steam and smoke
at the same time.  The night before, I drenched the 6 slabs of ribs in red wine and fresh garlic.  I then
rubbed in some Montreal seasoning and a few other spices and let them marinate overnight.  I put
them on the smoker at 6 AM with some hickory chips.  I'd put skewers through them to keep them
on edge and separated so that the smoke could get all around them.  After 8 hours they were more
than ready, but we weren't going to eat until 6 or so, so I slathered them with Bar-b-q sauce and put
them in a large foil pan, tightly covered them with foil so they wouldn't dry out and put them in the oven
set at 170.  Man, that meat fell off the bones, in fact the bones practically crawled over to the other
side of the plate on their own.  I will definitely use that smoker more often.  I welcome any comments
or suggestions as I am pretty new to smokers. ;D
#1 - June 30, 2009, 06:04:16 pm
The liver is evil. it must be punished.
ruebgonvintners@gmail.com

AzQer

Well congrads on a successful cook you know you have done well when you are happy with the results. I have not tried an electric smoker myself but hey if it works great. If you have a roast rack flip it over and put your ribs in that to stand them up. Ya gotta cook em like you like em. There are so many differant ways to make ribs as far as marinades, rubs, sauces, try differant things and keep track of your results so when you find something you like you have it documented so you can duplicate again. Good luck and let the addiction begin.
#2 - June 30, 2009, 06:16:53 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

desertdog

Sounds good.  That was quite a long cook time for Baby Backs, but you did the right thing to cover them and keep warm at a low temp.  What temp did you have the smoker at during the smoke?

Be sure to come out to our next competition and see how some of the BBQ teams do it.  It was sure an eye opener for me when I attended my first comp.  :)

#3 - June 30, 2009, 07:47:48 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Congrats on the cook, as Mark said, do them how you like them.  That's the best thing about BBQ, there are so many great recipes in which to cook food.

Next time, take some pictures and post them up.  If you need help posting pictures, just read http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/general-discussions/posting-pictures-t2946/ for all the info.

We look forward to seeing more posts about your BBQing exploits as well as seeing you out at some of our upcoming events.  ;)
#4 - June 30, 2009, 08:35:51 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

wuykats

Not sure of the temperature, smoker doesn't have a thermometer.  The liquid in the pan was barely
simmering, so I'd guess the temp at around 180 or so.
#5 - June 30, 2009, 10:22:43 pm
The liver is evil. it must be punished.
ruebgonvintners@gmail.com

Members: