AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked Meat Loaf...AT LAST. And worth the wait!!

Discussion started on

azkitch

DW is out of town with the Princess, so I can smoke meat now. (If Tiara happens to read this, I'm just kidding, honey!)
Tonight I smoked my first meat loaf. About an hour and a half for 2 rather small loaves. I had a 3 lb. chub of Fry's quality hamburger (;-P) and just under 1/2 lb of pork sausage. I cut up our remaining orange sweet peppers, half an onion; sauteed them...

Mixed it all up, including some cooked and chopped bacon, and made 2 loaves; dusted one with Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express, a "Coffee Infused BBQ Rub". I had it on a T Bone the other night, it was incredible!
I coated the other loaf with Plowboy's Bovine Bold. I did all this yesterday, decided I'd tarried too long, put off cooking 'til today.
I used a 4" branch of oak, 1 1/2" diameter, and a small chunk of apple in the UDS. I put the loaves in at 3:45, with the temp right at 300. Pulled 'em out a bit after 5, one was reading 155, the other 165. I was surprised at how very firm they were. Next time, I'll indeed add the bread--not dried--and some milk. I also didn't top them with bacon, as I had intended...
The other thing I didn't do was glaze at the end of the cook. We all wound up using different BBQ sauces, so that was a good thing.
Here they are, covered with rub yesterday...

Today, fresh out of the smoker...The olive oil was $5.00 at Big Lots, but it was for the potatoes.

The rubs. The blue labeled Dizzy Pig rub is Cow Lick Steak Seasoning, sugar free, that I used on the potatoes.

The complete suite. The potatoes were the size of Smart Cars, so they were still out in the smoker, trying to cook!

And that local BBQ sauce is pretty good. Y'all better get you some! I may be able to direct you to a store where you can get it... ::)   8)
Tracy, I need to talk to you!!
#1 - June 21, 2011, 07:51:35 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Crash

That BBQPHX sauce truly is amazing.  Tracy is really on to something with that product.

We're down to 8 bottles, might need to re-supply soon.
#2 - June 21, 2011, 10:30:15 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

azkitch

Yes, I agree. Out Of The Pan is gonna stock some of that!
HEY TRACY!...
#3 - June 22, 2011, 01:22:57 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

auggieaug

Seen similar loaves wrapped in Bacon to help keep them together.  Amazed at your ability to keep the loaves together without them falling apart.  Nice work! Inspires me to give it a try.
#4 - June 22, 2011, 02:40:01 pm

Rob P

i am so mad i cant see the pics right now... friggin work blocks the pictures
#5 - June 23, 2011, 07:17:29 am

BOWNELK

That looks amazingly tasty, I'm going to have to try Qin that up soon.
#6 - June 23, 2011, 09:52:32 am

Members: