AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked Ham

Discussion started on

Kevin

I am smoking a "uncooked ham" tomorrow (first time for the ham and smoking in cold weather. High of 48 here). It should be fun. I covered it with a Pineapple ice cream topping and then my favorite rub. It is setting in the ref'g overnight. I will let you know.   8)
#1 - November 18, 2011, 05:06:42 pm
Smokin' Again
CBJ KCBS BCS 
WSM  CharGrill Offset

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Sounds interesting. Good Luck
#2 - November 19, 2011, 01:20:46 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

dickhead

Howd it turn out......did you brine it? 8)
#3 - December 10, 2011, 09:41:30 am

Kevin

It turned out great! I did not brine or inject it. I tried to post some pictures, but they are too big and I need to figure out some of this computer science.

I had a tough time keeping the temp on the smoker because of the cool weather. I guess I am going to have to find an insulated smoker so I can smoke year around here in the mountains. It took about 6 hours to get the internal temp up to 165 degrees.

The best commentary is that the Thanksgiving meal eaters polished it off and left the turkey.

8)
#4 - December 10, 2011, 10:37:00 am
Smokin' Again
CBJ KCBS BCS 
WSM  CharGrill Offset

tbonejc

The best commentary is that the Thanksgiving meal eaters polished it off and left the turkey.

8)

Nice
#5 - December 10, 2011, 07:58:54 pm

n2dabluebbq

moving blankets.... they make decent insulators when draped over the smoking chamber.
on the pics, maybe put them on something like photobucket and put the thumbnails here or a link would work too.
#6 - December 10, 2011, 10:44:17 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

mullet83

hot water tank insulation is something i have heard
#7 - December 12, 2011, 07:45:40 pm
Horseshoes and barbecues

Kevin

Thanks for the suggestions. I had also read that a welding blanket would work very well and I don't have to worry about getting too close to the firebox, but they are rather pricey.

8)
#8 - December 16, 2011, 08:08:06 pm
Smokin' Again
CBJ KCBS BCS 
WSM  CharGrill Offset

SmokeWatcher

Using pineapple ice cream topping as a glaze sounds interesting.  How did that work for you?
#9 - December 17, 2011, 09:50:07 am
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

Kevin

Using pineapple ice cream topping as a glaze sounds interesting.  How did that work for you?

It tasted great, but the topping was hard to keep on the ham. I am going to smoke another this week and try it with pineapple jam if I can find it.

8)
#10 - December 18, 2011, 07:28:07 am
Smokin' Again
CBJ KCBS BCS 
WSM  CharGrill Offset

Wood Chuck

I used pineapple jam for my ham on Thanksgiving and it stuck to the hamp real good.
#11 - December 18, 2011, 12:10:53 pm

SmokeWatcher

It tasted great, but the topping was hard to keep on the ham. I am going to smoke another this week and try it with pineapple jam if I can find it.

8)
I bought some topping already to try on my X-mas ham...YUM!
#12 - December 18, 2011, 12:44:36 pm
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

PAT YOUNG

Mix with rub to thicken! FYI- Moving blankets will not burn if they are the cotton style- temps are too low!
#13 - January 20, 2012, 10:39:59 pm

Kevin

Thanks for the great Ideas! I used the same Ice cream topping, over the top of a heavy rub and wrapped it for 12 hours...maybe 10. then I smoked it using an old wool blanket on the smoking chamber (offset smoker) and  it worked great...even in the snow. Thanks again!
 8)
#14 - January 21, 2012, 07:44:49 pm
Smokin' Again
CBJ KCBS BCS 
WSM  CharGrill Offset

Members: