AZ Barbeque.com

Sat./Sun. Ribs&Brisket. Today--TURKEYS

Discussion started on

azkitch

Sat. Midnight, I put in brisket, a 12# packer from Sams. About 9 the next morning, I put in the 3 racks of ribs. I thought there were only 2 in the pack. Happy happy there were 3. One of 'em is AMAZING!!! the other 2 are just really good. The brisket--well, does anyone know a cobbler? But it's PRETTY! And even Tiara is becoming a carnivore. She LOVED the ribs. She usually shuns meat of most types.
Since all the pics come after the text--until I figger out better--I cooked 2 turkeys today; one for me, one for a guy from work. I hope they aren't overdone. I was worried they wouldn't get done. I kept the smoker above 300, and mostly pre-burned the apple and almond wood I smoked with. I was pretty happy with the TBS I was getting. (thin blue smoke). I still got quite a lot of heavy white smoke early, but i wrassled thru it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - November 25, 2008, 04:59:28 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

bbqphx.com

LOOKS WONDERFUL!!
As an aside, I went to Sam's Club on Bell last week and found Certified Angus briskets!  They were smaller but I'll give brisket my next try as soon as I'm sick of turkey.
The way I prepare the bird is an apple brine for 24 hours, then start breast side down in a foil pan of aromatics and broth on the trusty Weber (indirect).  I cook for a few hours and apply apple wood smoke.  Flip the bird breast side up for the last hour of cooking so the skin gets a lovely smoky hue and crispness O0...With the pics above I'll certainly have to bring my A-Game!!
The remnants in that foil pan make a mean gravy too!!  This is about the only turkey that IMHO doesn't suck :)  Seriously, I am not a turkey fan but I made this last year and it was REALLY good.
#2 - November 25, 2008, 05:38:02 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

azkitch

That's "My" sams club, as I live near I-17/Greenway. Is that a road trip for ya?
Thanks for the props! I hope they taste as good as they look! I had too much goin' on, trying to do the brisket and ribs Sat/sun, so I wasn't able to really prep the turkeys. They weren't thawed 'til this morning, and they only brined for about 1 1/2 hours. I think it'll be a waste of coarse kosher salt and turbinado sugar.

My work mate was just here picking up his turkey--and we breached ours. WINNAH WINNAH WINNAH!! Tiara, my nearly vegetarian daughter, is now offically a carnivore. She has already eaten about a third of a breast. Early Thanksgiving at azkitch's place.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#3 - November 25, 2008, 06:37:06 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzQer

Fine looking Bird ya got there that is for sure
#4 - November 25, 2008, 09:01:33 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

KidCurry

WOW...looking good.
#5 - November 25, 2008, 09:36:44 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

force

Have you tried cutting the brisket at angle?
#6 - November 25, 2008, 11:52:47 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

azcolt45

How come one rack of ribs was amazinag and the other 2 were just good any idea?
#7 - November 26, 2008, 12:04:08 am
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

toys4dlr

Just the pig itself.  I have had two and three racks cooked side by side, with the same treatment.  They all looked great, but one was just better, more tender and juicy.  Got to be the pig.

#8 - November 26, 2008, 06:35:38 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

azkitch

This one I'll attribute to the cook. I treated one of 'em different, + the cookbox temp differences, I think. I gotta say, though, that all of em were doggone good! I've got the happiest pets in the neighborhood right now...
#9 - November 26, 2008, 12:12:02 pm
CBJ # 53779

Members: