AZ Barbeque.com

First cook on my Pro Q from Scott from Crash...

Discussion started on

azkitch

I bought 3 racks of the 98 cent/lb st louis cut ribs from Pro's Ranch Market this morning. They were frozen, but the were also LONG! These suckers are close to 23" long. One rack had lots of shiners, but the other 2 look fairly good. Put Plowboy's on one, Dizzy Dust on the other 2. I didn't get them on until just now, so they won't be done until after 11. Pictures coming.
#1 - March 25, 2012, 05:38:21 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jmcrig

I got four yesterday. St. Louis cuts that weight 4 lbs. each. Meat was good, but I did a BBQ Pit Boys cook on them. 3 Hours at 250, wrap and add some apple juice for two more hours, pull and let sit for 1 Hour. The bones will fall out of the meat. There was no cartilage with mine. Pull or chop the meat, and make sandwiches. Mighty tasty. Or just watch their YouTube on rib sandwiches.
#2 - March 25, 2012, 05:45:31 pm

azkitch

My first trial and error lesson with the Pro Q. I swapped stackers after 2 hours, to change the positions of the ribs...and I couldn't figure out why the bottom rack was running at 340, and the top wasn't breaking 200! How strange that was! (DUH!) Back to normal, now that I've wrapped em. And they're all piled on the top rack at the moment.
The only pics I have taken so far are of the straight, raw ribs. I've cut them in half for the wrapping. I wrapped 2 halves separately on the rack with the shiners--the one that was taking all the heat earlier!--wrapped the 2 meat sides together with the next rack, and just stacked the halves for the third. No reason, just happened that way.
#3 - March 25, 2012, 08:11:41 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Crash

.....couldn't figure out why the bottom rack was running at 340, and the top wasn't breaking 200!

That seems odd.  Did you have the water pan in?
#4 - March 26, 2012, 12:13:27 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

bucaguy

That seems odd.  Did you have the water pan in?

Crash you said odd.. you know we are talking about Kitch right? :D
#5 - March 26, 2012, 04:48:43 am
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Mike P in Tucson

Crash,  I do believe when Kitch swithced stackers, he ended up with the water pan stacker above the other stacker. :D

Live and learn.  So how did they turn out,  Kitch?
#6 - March 26, 2012, 06:35:14 am
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

azkitch

Yup...that was fun. The horrible looking rack with all the shiners is done, the other two--in the stacker with the pan--are a bit underdone. None are competition pretty, that's for sure! I guess I'm going to answer my own question about re-cooking underdone ribs!
I still didn't take any pics but for the raw ribs...I got done right around 11. Bah.
#7 - March 26, 2012, 08:35:24 am
CBJ # 53779

Mark

Anyone cooking in Scottsdale that has freezer room, sounds like a good time to stock up for your PC ribs!
#8 - March 26, 2012, 10:54:57 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

Mark, these are not PC quality ribs. Best thing I can say about them, they taste great if cooked to fall off the bone, and pulled for sandwiches. Too many shiners.
#9 - March 26, 2012, 11:58:25 am

bucaguy

I found some through the Sysco warehouse here  .85 a pound.. When smoked good they taste awesome.. I will be using for Happy Hour at the Club!
#10 - March 26, 2012, 12:45:23 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Members: